Handheldclassics!!! A reality?

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Max
Textkit Neophyte

Handheldclassics!!! A reality?

Post by Max »

Hi, everybody.

Stumbled on this site: www.handheldclassics.com and it’s absolutely amazing. Basically you can have the whole of Iliad and Odyssey on your palm PC along with the English translation. Fully parsed morphology of every word from Perseus plus basic translation of every word plus links to a greek dictionary.

Does this mean "good by Cunliff and the company" or am I wrong? Is the whole idea worth it?
Is anybody using this thing?

Thanks

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

I've seen it too. However, the installation seemed like quite a hassle to me, so I stuck with my "Greek-only" version of the Iliad and Odyssey on my palm.

But it sure looks good.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Perseus does not have Cunliffe, so unless they specifically list Cunliffe, I doubt it's included. On the other hand, Perseus does have the Great Scott.

John Jackson
Textkit Neophyte

Handheldclassics

Post by John Jackson »

I am glad someone has found the site and content within.

It does take a bit of work to set-up your system (Palm and software) to get everything working together.

Keep in mind that setting up a PC for Greek is also not easy, but well worth it in the end.

So far I have the Iliad and Odyssey in parsed interlinear form and English translations with sequenced line numbers as well.

I am working on a parsed interlinear version of Theogony at this time.

You will have to use a biblical lexicon like Strongs at the moment but you can create you own lex in short order.

I have LSJ converted but have yet to ask OUP for permission to release it to the public (free of course).

I would also like to ask for help in providing content for this platform and the people on this forum seem to be a very resourceful group to ask.

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Hi John,

I was quite impressed with the sample you provide on your site (I tried it some time ago), so I will try and get it installed.

Max
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Max »

Great job, John. Excellent resource. Can this thing be made to work on mobile windows rather than Palm OS? Palm is sort of dying out now as you may know.

thanx

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Hi John,

I just installed all the software on my Palm, plus the ZIliadCP.pdb and ZOdysseyCP.pdb. But now I am a bit lost: I can startup Bible+ and see notes (Greek font, so that works), but I do not see the original Greek text, only the notes. And what do I do with RoadLingua? Are there specific dictionaries I still need to install?

Do you perhaps have instructions how to operate this?

Thanks!

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Well, I am going to have to uninstall, unfortunately. The software crashes my Palm continuously.

John Jackson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by John Jackson »

Perispomenon, hang in there;
Please visit the Bible+ website you will find the help you need.
email me with these details
Palm handheld you are using and the Pallm OS version.
The version of Bible+ you have loaded.
any other details you can think of.
John

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Ah well, it's working now :-)

It is indeed an excellent resource.