Textkit Logo

latin books

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

latin books

Postby elduce » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Salve,
I'm looking for latin texts to read and translate such as "De Bello Gallico" etc. Does anyone know anything about the Loeb Classical Library? I'm wary to buy anything new because, having bought "38 Latin Stories," I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's too easy and too short (but would have been a good supplement to Wheelock).

Vale
ego amo megaforce
elduce
Textkit Member

Re: latin books

Postby Hu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:28 pm

elduce wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Loeb Classical Library? I'm wary to buy anything new because, having bought "38 Latin Stories," I'm a bit disappointed in it. It's too easy and too short (but would have been a good supplement to Wheelock).

Vale

Loebs have the Greek or Latin text (Greek editions have green covers, Latin ones red) on the left side and an English translation on the right. Many of the current editions are reprints of older ones, so the typefaces can look dated (and the translations can sound just as dated), but the text isn't simplified in any way, if that's what you're asking.
Hu

Postby jjhayes84 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:12 pm

In my experience what you really want is some sort of reader with vocabulary helps and notes on difficult grammatical constructions. The disadvantage of Loeb for the beginning reader is that there is no help for grammar or vocabulary, and it is too easy to spend more time reading English than Latin.

If you want to read De Bello Gallico, I've used and enjoyed this version in the past. There are many other such editions available, but this one I can personally say is good.
phpbb
jjhayes84
Textkit Neophyte

Postby elduce » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Gratias et Hu et jjhayes84.

Valete
ego amo megaforce
elduce
Textkit Member

Return to Wheelock's Latin