Death in Pompeii - Asphyxiation or Thermal Shock?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Death in Pompeii - Asphyxiation or Thermal Shock?

Post by Michaelyus »

BBC said in Pompeii the Last Day (on a few years back here in Britain) that people died slowly from asphyxiation since no pyroclastic flow came into the city and that they were found in a life-like position. Pompeii Live (Channel 5, aired in May?) said that the position that they were preserved in was due to thermal shock as their muscles all adducted, caused by pyroclastic flow.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

The University of Virginia gives a nice (and referenced) timeline of what hit the city when, and clearly indicates that pyroclastic flow/surge was responsible for the deaths (though this particular site is more interested in the structural damage that occurred).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Re: Death in Pompeii - Asphyxiation or Thermal Shock?

Post by perispomenon »

Michaelyus wrote:BBC said in Pompeii the Last Day (on a few years back here in Britain) that people died slowly from asphyxiation since no pyroclastic flow came into the city
I recall seeing a documentary which stated that in the city, people died from asphyxiation, and that people who had been able to flee the city and were close to the sea, were hit by a pyroclastic flow.

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

perispomenon wrote:I recall seeing a documentary which stated that in the city, people died from asphyxiation, and that people who had been able to flee the city and were close to the sea, were hit by a pyroclastic flow.
In Herculaneum it is widely acknowledged that the lack of ash in the correct layer of earth indicates pyroclastic surge. That was by the sea in the port, with the dozens in the boat-house with their brains exploded in their skulls and some of their bones blackened with carbonisation.

In Pompeii on the other hand, there were reports of pyroclastic flow hitting one of the cities' walls, searing all that was there. But the people at the Marina in Pompeii are unlikely to have experienced this. I know that a lot did die of gas poisoning related asphyxaition from sulphur fumes within homes, and some died of respiratory collapse (from the oxygen deficiency and being cramped in the homes). Still others died of injuries from collapsing buildings. I would however have thought that the amount of ash ejected that blew over Pompeii must have caused some asphyxiation, although, now that I come to think of it, it may have been that the wind was too strong to allow settling to kill.

There must have been more than one surge and flow, and many would have died over the asphyxiation before truly momentous volcanic events happened.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Michaelyus wrote:There must have been more than one surge and flow, and many would have died over the asphyxiation before truly momentous volcanic events happened.
That could very well be the case (hopefully)...death from the heat, fire, or pyroclasm would have caused the limbs to adduct (the "pugilist pose" in which some of the bodies remain) or at least exposure to the heat before rigor set in. Nothing sounds as awful as death-by-volcano. :shock:

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Asphyxiation does

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

Recently I've watched a video about Poempeji. On Herculaneum, death was caused primarily by pyroclastic waves, but not in Pompeji. Here we have ashes and pebbles that caused asphyxiation. Otherwise, pyroclastic waves would cause flesh to be burned down to the bones and (perhaps also) evaporate; that happened in Herculaneum.
Last edited by ThomasGR on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

ThomasGR wrote:Here we have ashes and pebbles that caused asphyxiation. Otherwise, pyroclastic waves would cause flesh to be burned down to the bones and (perhaps also) evaporate, whiched happened in Herculaneum.
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm currently reading "Pompeii and Herculaneum" by Andre Bellechasse--all the more fascinating since I was just in Pompeii a few months ago!

He goes through the stages of the volcano's eruption, based on the layers of materials left in the city, which can be seen in certain places to this day. It is my understanding from this book that most of the inhabitants died due to asphyxiation, and were buried afterwards (he says it was wet ash that caused the casts of the people to be preserved). Many of the people were found to be covering their mouths with their clothing, which would also indicate that breathing was the problem. However, there were also lots of things falling from the sky, and there is evidence that people and animals attempted to reach higher places (upper storeys, etc) in order not to be buried...

Excellent book, btw. I do recommend it.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

klewlis wrote:It is my understanding from this book that most of the inhabitants died due to asphyxiation, and were buried afterwards (he says it was wet ash that caused the casts of the people to be preserved). Many of the people were found to be covering their mouths with their clothing, which would also indicate that breathing was the problem. However, there were also lots of things falling from the sky, and there is evidence that people and animals attempted to reach higher places (upper storeys, etc) in order not to be buried...
Here it implies that asphyxiation was the main cause, accompanied by respiratory failure. But there is also evidence that pyroclastic flows and even surges reached Pompeii (would that be the "wet ash" - pyroclastic matter would probably never occur to me as wet; to me this would be the ejected ash mixed with water (from the clouds) and possibly with some dissolved sulphuric compunds?), causing the thermally induced muscular adduction and the characteristic pose.

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

klewlis wrote:...there were also lots of things falling from the sky, and there is evidence that people and animals attempted to reach higher places...
And hence the birth of the Roman legend of "Pullus-Parvus." :shock:

Sorry...couldn't resist the terrible Classical joke possibilities. :D

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Michaelyus wrote:
klewlis wrote:It is my understanding from this book that most of the inhabitants died due to asphyxiation, and were buried afterwards (he says it was wet ash that caused the casts of the people to be preserved). Many of the people were found to be covering their mouths with their clothing, which would also indicate that breathing was the problem. However, there were also lots of things falling from the sky, and there is evidence that people and animals attempted to reach higher places (upper storeys, etc) in order not to be buried...
Here it implies that asphyxiation was the main cause, accompanied by respiratory failure. But there is also evidence that pyroclastic flows and even surges reached Pompeii (would that be the "wet ash" - pyroclastic matter would probably never occur to me as wet; to me this would be the ejected ash mixed with water (from the clouds) and possibly with some dissolved sulphuric compunds?)
That was the implication in the book... rain mixed with ash and other debris from the volcano (it goes into detail about the type of volcano, the various components of the ejection, etc, but I have to admit I don't understand it all).
, causing the thermally induced muscular adduction and the characteristic pose.
Is there a characteristic pose? The casts that I saw were in varied poses... some crouched as though against a wall, some laying on their stomachs, some laying on their backs...? There are a few samples in my Pompeii pictures here.

(Unfortunately, my camera battery died half way through the day... JC had a camera also, but his pictures were lost by a bad internet cafe guy in Venice! So we are missing pictures of the theatre, stadium, etc.).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Well, the pugilist pose is caused by extreme thermal shock to the muscles. They adduct very quickly and the limbs all draw in (if they were killed by pyroclastic surges). The fingers tighten (hence the pugilist reference).

However, certain people are on their stomach etc. This could be down to the asphyxiation killing them before the thermal shock killed them.

Sheepdisease
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Death in Pompeii - Asphyxiation or Thermal Shock?

Post by Sheepdisease »

Could someone please give me a definitive answer (including references to credible sources - excluding google and Wikipedia), whether the residents of Pompeii were unaware of their impending doom?

Many sources claim they were, it is something which features in a lot of tourist guides like this one: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/3888/t ... d508-2958P, which says 'On a fateful summer's day in 79 A.D., Mt. Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash over the prosperous city of Pompeii. Unaware of the imminent danger, most people continued on with their daily lives and as a result the entire town and around 20,000 of its inhabitants were buried under tons of ash and pumice.'.