product wishlist

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
klewlis
Global Moderator

product wishlist

Post by klewlis »

The question in the latin forum about calendars brought back an old idea for me... wouldn't it be great if someone were to start making latin products such as calendars, greeting cards, etc in latin and greek? <br /><br />or even if someone were to pull together what is there into one site... and redistribute... hm, maybe *I* should do that. <br /><br />i think there are latin fridge poetry magnets...<br /><br />if *someone* were to start an online store that would sell all sorts of greek and latin books and novelty products, what other kinds of things would you like to see??<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Re:product wishlist

Post by MDS »

That would be interesting and probably cause my credit card to go haywire (like its not bad enough know with just books!). There are soooooooo many neat Latin and Greek sayings that would do well on t-shirts, coffee mugs etc.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

nice! what are some of the quotes you'd like to see on a t-shirt or mug?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Latin Poetry Magnets... I like that idea! I've seen them for other languages. Do give a holler and let us know if you find a place that offers these Latin novelty items. I'd like to see other magnets too. Rubber stamps. Stationery. Plaques. Trivets. Mugs. (And I mean BIG mugs; not a wimpy 8oz mug)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=516;start=0#4517 date=1061396622]<br />nice! what are some of the quotes you'd like to see on a t-shirt or mug?<br />[/quote]<br />Good question. I'm not well acquainted with Latin quotes or phrases, but I'm sure there are some good ones out there! And I mean better phrases than carpe diem. <br /><br />I've recently learned the phrase consummatum est, and have been using that at work. We have to document our work, and I just place the phrase at the end to also note that what I've been working on is completed. :D <br /><br />I really loved the phrase I recently learned from this forum, festina lente, but I haven't found an opportunity to use it yet.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

what is a trivet?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

A trivet is something around 8" square (or round, or whataver shape), with short legs. You use it to put hot things on it, such has a pot or hot dish. You can find them in kitchen gadget stores like Bed Bath and Beyond. They're often made of metal, but I was thinking of something that looked like tile with a pretty design and Latin phrase on it.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

nice. i've never actually seen those...<br /><br />i think a lot of the things we'd like to have aren't even being made anywhere, so that could be a hitch... :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

The Greek letters look so nice [size=150]βαρβαρος

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I was driving to work today and saw a Peugot with a number plate "ALLEZ" - so maybe this could give all you textkitters something to think about. I am thinking of "FESTINA LENTE" for my aging Astra. (But this may be too many letters - maybe just "LENTE"!)

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=516;start=0#4529 date=1061405866]<br />nice. i've never actually seen those...<br /><br />i think a lot of the things we'd like to have aren't even being made anywhere, so that could be a hitch... :P<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Actually, on the trivits, if you can find a crafter's market, of the type that sells pottery, metalworking, and so on, showcasing the work of local artisans, you might find one. A friend gave me one for Christmas a few years ago, made locally in the area we grew up, nice mountains and a tall pine tree in the front. It came with a hook on back, too, so it hangs on my wall as decor far more than it gets used as something to put under a hot object..... So a local potter or metal-worker might be willing to work with you on putting one together with a Latin phrase. Alternatively, if there's a pottery course in the area, you might be able to make one for yourself! (And/or a whopping big mug, too!)<br /><br />Kilmeny

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oooh i have friends who are potters... i should ask if they'd be interested in something like that. the one is an old testament prof so he hasn't done much latin but a bit of greek and hebrew and i'm sure he'd think it fun... hmmmm.....

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=516;start=0#4539 date=1061420139]<br />I was driving to work today and saw a Peugot with a number plate "ALLEZ" - so maybe this could give all you textkitters something to think about. I am thinking of "FESTINA LENTE" for my aging Astra. (But this may be too many letters - maybe just "LENTE"!)<br />[/quote]<br />You won't have too many people tailgaiting you for long wih a "LENTE" license plate! However it might be amusing to have "LENTE" on a really fast sports car. <br /><br />I don't know how many characters you get for your license plate. In my state, we get 7 characacters. For cars, it's usually in the format #XXX###.<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Try museum shops. I'm sure a lot of them will have replicas of the Greek and Roman items in their collections, some of which may have text on them.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Now, all these ideas sound very nice, but what we need is something really eyecatching. Is it Vinobrien who has the lovely little cartoon character picture? Something along these lines?<br />Of course a "Hermes" would be very eyecatching but may tend to be misunderstood as a decoration by the front door.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Carola link=board=6;threadid=516;start=0#4564 date=1061438942]<br />Of course a "Hermes" would be very eyecatching but may tend to be misunderstood as a decoration by the front door. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Maybe an "Alcibiades Special" version would be more currently acceptable.......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4613 date=1061502665]<br />[<br />Maybe an "Alcibiades Special" version would be more currently acceptable.......<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]OK, I'll fall right into it - why an "Alcibiades Special"? (I just know I am going to regret asking this!)<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

For those who do not know what a Hermes is, they were very phallic representations of the god placed at crossroads and other places in Athens (maybe outside everyone's front door, I forget). Anyway, just before the Athenian fleet set sail on it's expedition against the city of Syracuse in Sicily during the Pelopennesian War, somebody went round Athens lopping off the bits that might give offence in certain quarters these days. The prime suspect was Alcibiades. <br /><br />I assume, therefore, that kilmeny was referring to a Herm minus its naughty bits.<br /><br />I'm sorry, I can't put it any more U or PG rated than that without running the risk of being incomprehensible.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Ah... so you're basically saying it's a "bobbittized" Hermes.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

A defilement, a censorship of human beauty (the Greeks have taken over my mind).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4860 date=1061826787]<br />A defilement, a censorship of human beauty (the Greeks have taken over my mind).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, at least you weren't wanting to try me for sacrilege, as the Greeks decided to do to Alcibiades! (He responded by going to Sparta.....)<br /><br />However improper the treatment, it might solve some of the misunderstanding problems, and would provide opportunity to explain one of the more colourful figures in Ancient Greek history to inquiring guests or door-to-door salespeople....<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ok, when I return from my Latin class tonight, I may start a discussion on phallic symbolism ;o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4892 date=1061854726]<br />Ok, when I return from my Latin class tonight, I may start a discussion on phallic symbolism ;o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You have a Latin class tonight??? You lucky so-and-so!!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4891 date=1061853616]<br /><br />However improper the treatment, it might solve some of the misunderstanding problems, and would provide opportunity to explain one of the more colourful figures in Ancient Greek history to inquiring guests or door-to-door salespeople....<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br />I'm sure I could have some real fun explaining this figure to door-to-door salespeople ;D<br />Back to our original topic (yes, there was one) what about bookmarks? We are all book addicts and if you are like me you lose all your bookmarks and end up using little bits of paper, hairclips or bills you meant to post. I could always do with another bookmark and they would be cheap to post overseas as so many of us live outside USA. Just some Latin or Greek mottos with suitable photos (of Hermes with or without their vital statistics?) or illustrations from old books etc.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

bookmarks are a fantastic idea... although I personally never run short since I get one every time I buy a book.... :P<br /><br />I was thinking of posters too.... educational ones ;)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Yes, bookmarks! Sold as cheaply as possible while still making a profit of course. I am tired of paying $3.95 and up for bookmarks yet everytime I look for one I end up ripping off a corner of paper from somewhere. (not books of course! ::)<br /><br />Educational posters would also be a good idea, especially ones that latin teachers or enthusiats could put up to entertain themselves. Would beat counting ceiling tiles.... ;)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Right now I'm using a bit of lace I crocheted for one of my sister's doll dresses as a bookmark. It's not working very well, since she's also using it as a bookmark...in a different book. ;) Somewhere I have three lovely bookmarks that I bought myself at Books-A-Million one day. They'll turn up about once a month; I'm thinking that if I had thirty of them, I might be able to keep track of them. <br /><br />What about Hermes...from the waist up? ;D I'm not really being prudish; I just can't quite see using either of the other two suggestions as a bookmark in, say, Jane Eyre. :D <br /><br />As far as posters go, it's a great idea, but where would I put it? I've mentioned this before, I know, but my room-every room in this house, in fact-is full of bookshelves. Unless I want to put posters over my windows, in which case I couldn't see the lake, I'd have a hard time finding a place to put them. ;D <br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I use almost anything as bookmarks. from small piece of paper to cellular phone or even another book, and sometimes the earth itself. I didn't try moon or mars yet. ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I think the oddest bookmark I ever used was a candelabra...I was in a hurry, and that was the closest thing at hand. (I don't make a habit of marking books with candelabras... ;D) <br /><br />Latin bookmarks would be nice, especially if they had some cute phrase in Latin. For Greek bookmarks...maybe a set of (24? 25?), each with a different letter of the Greek alphabet, the name and the equivalent sound, and possibly a word that started with the letter. <br /><br />Keesa <br /><br />P.S. -Could you pick me up a jar of caffeine, while you're at it? :D

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Bookmarks ... I don't know if I'd use them even. I've always lost bookmarks I buy. Oddly enough, the business cards I've been using instead have never fallen out, maybe it's because they're shorter than regular bookmarks.<br /><br />Journals ... what do you guys think of that? I nice pretty design on the cover. And interspersed among the blank or lined pages will be short quotes/phrases in Latin or Greek.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4957 date=1061914355]<br /><br />Journals ... what do you guys think of that? I nice pretty design on the cover. And interspersed among the blank or lined pages will be short quotes/phrases in Latin or Greek.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Oh, that's a good idea! I love keeping a journal, and a Greek or Latin one would be just the thing. And a Greek and Latin notebook to do my exercises in. ;) <br /><br />Keesa

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=516;start=15#4957 date=1061914355]<br /><br />Bookmarks ... I don't know if I'd use them even. I've always lost bookmarks I buy. Oddly enough, the business cards I've been using instead have never fallen out, maybe it's because they're shorter than regular bookmarks.<br /><br />Journals ... what do you guys think of that? I nice pretty design on the cover. And interspersed among the blank or lined pages will be short quotes/phrases in Latin or Greek.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br />____________<br />Yes, journals would also be good, but I still would like bookmarks (and they also make good little gifts for clubs, people at work etc where you just give a little inexpensive gift).<br />I am trying to picture a candelabra as a book mark - was it a really big one? Of course the mobile phone is the best one - and then you can't find it until it rings! Every now and then I open a book I haven't read for a while and discover another favourite bookmark I had lost.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Oh, it was very simple. The book was a large paperback; I had to get up quickly, so I set the book on the table, placed the candelabra on my place (on one page only, so that I didn't crease the binding) and let the other pages close over the base of the candelabra. I wouldn't recommend it as an everyday bookmark, but it worked well enough for the twenty minutes are so that I had to step away. <br /><br />On the subject of journals, what about pens with Latin/Greek phrases on them, to write in the journals with? Latin/Greek notepaper and greeting cards and envelopes! Of course, I'll be spending so much on Latin and Greek books that i won't be able to afford them. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Yes, the bigger the bookmark, the shorter is its period of service. 8)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

At least I managed to find one bookmark that not even I can lose... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=516;start=30#4994 date=1061939480]Latin/Greek notepaper and greeting cards and envelopes! [/quote]<br /><br />How would you say these things in Latin on those cards?<br /><br />Happy Birthday!<br />Seasons Greetings!<br />Merry Christmas!<br />Happy New Year!<br />Congratulations!<br />Get Well Soon!<br />Happy Anniversary!<br /><br />And what would the Latin phrases be on the inside of the cards?<br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

for greeting cards i thought it would be fun to use (if possible) quotes from classical authors, where appropriate, maybe even poetry, etc. <br /><br />catallus would make some pretty funky greeting cards <G>

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=516;start=30#5028 date=1061993336]<br />for greeting cards i thought it would be fun to use (if possible) quotes from classical authors, where appropriate, maybe even poetry, etc. <br /><br />catallus would make some pretty funky greeting cards <G><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ok, what is in about Catallus that I don't know about? <br /><br />Oh, I see... you're talking about blank notecards. :)<br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

catallus is known for his love poetry... it's pretty good but some of it is pretty risque... ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Catullus is awesome. I love watching him destroy himself over this girl, Lesbia :'(