Anyone starting Pharr

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

So Pharr we have this list of interested people.

joneill4
nov ialiste
tjnor
WangWei
Qbe
Bill Dundon
charleshardt
Dimitri
skothari01
Brendan
fpens
Sanskirt

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:Forgive me if I am being pushy, but GGG and Bert, any idea when you might light the candle on this group?

Cordially,

Paul
I don't want to be pushy either.
I was glad that GGG agreed to be the main guide so now I should not take over her space.
I wonder if her silence means that she is not able to make the time commitment.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Drum roll............

minus273
Textkit Neophyte

Post by minus273 »

I'm in Shanghai, too :D I'd proceeded a few lessons but stopped due to lack of energy.
I'd be very interested in the group.

- m

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I'd still like to be on the mailing list, even if I can't do the course at the moment, if that is OK.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I think I can start guiding this on Sunday/Dimanche/Sontag/Domingo/Nichiyobi/etc, on the 25th.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:I think I can start guiding this on Sunday, the 25th.
Beautiful.

However, as I've mentioned before, I need a day to assign userids/passwords and send e-mails to all participants.

Thanks to Sanskrit for this list of likely participants:

joneill4
nov ialiste
tjnor
WangWei
Qbe
Bill Dundon
charleshardt
Dimitri
skothari01
Brendan
fpens
Sanskirt

Would everyone on this list please e-mail me, requesting GTSS login tokens? You can construct my e-mail address out of the domain name 'optonline.net' and the userid 'greekgeek'. After receiving your e-mail, I will send you your login tokens (userid and password) along with links to GTSS documentation.

If you already have a GTSS account in another group and would like to use that account for the new pharr-c group, please let me know.

To the guides: please establish fixed days of the week for submitting the several Pharr exercises: Greek to English, English to Greek, and the Iliad.
Miss G-cubed: I think you too will need basic GTSS documentation along with info about its 'guide' interface. There are GTSS functions available only to the guides. Bert might be able to assist you in this area.

Thank you all.

Cordially,

Paul

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

I am being silly.

Here are links to GTSS dox:

http://www.greekgeek.org/gtss.pdf
http://www.greekgeek.org/gtssIntro.pdf

Former is more comprehensive; latter is a "quick intro" type.

But I still need you to contact me about getting your GTSS accounts.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:I think I can start guiding this on Sunday/Dimanche/Sontag/Domingo/Nichiyobi/etc, on the 25th.
Alright. Zondag it is.

Polyidos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Polyidos »

If it's not too late, and one more person won't overload the leader, I would like to sneak my name onto the list of people interested in joining the Pharr-C group.

On the assumption that I may join, I will also contact Paul about setting up the GTSS account.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to join in the fun starting tomorrow!

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

I have lately created GTSS accounts for these users:

fpens
tjnor
jmwright
dimitri
sunil
brendan
minus273
sanskrit
polyidos

Note that there are quite a few users from the first run of pharr-c. If you see your ID on this list below, and do not plan to participate, and are feeling very civic-minded, please let me know and I will remove you. Thanks. :)

yhevhe
psilord
michael
shirley
diane
andrei
billd
ornellas
timotheus
paige
richard
charles
eli

Cordially,

Paul

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

People should also join the mailing list Pharr-C for discussion.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Wendy Haught
Textkit Neophyte

Want to join class

Post by Wendy Haught »

Hi,

May I please join the Pharr class? I want to start my children (15 and 13 1/2) on Pharr in September, so I need this head start. However, we are leaving on vacation June 29, and won't be back until July 18. I will have a laptop with me but don't know how often I'll get internet--we'll be camping. Please advise.

With all good wishes,

Wendy Haught

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Is there no problem if I participate but not from the very beginning?

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re: Want to join class

Post by Paul »

Wendy Haught wrote:May I please join the Pharr class? I want to start my children (15 and 13 1/2) on Pharr in September, so I need this head start.
Hi Wendy,

The pharr-c "guides" (GlottalGreekGeek and Bert) have no objection. My perspective is that any home-schooling Mom who wants to teach her teenagers Homeric Greek deserves all the help we can give her. :)

So, please see Will Annis' post above about joining the mailing list. See also my post viewtopic.php?p=48590&highlight=construct#48590 . I have already added you to GTSS (our study group software), but need your e-mail address so that I can send you your userid and password.

It sounds like you'll miss the first few lessons. They're not especially difficult, but it's important that you cover them thoroughly on your own.

Cordially,

Paul

Wendy Haught
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Wendy Haught »

Thank you, Paul, GGG, and Bert! I have sent the e-mail requestig the tokens and have subscribed to the list.

I'm going to have to start with the PDF of Pharr's book. Should I order the Wright revision?

With gratitude,

Wendy

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

Have I mist a lesson already? I am not able to see any files.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Sanskrit wrote:Have I mist a lesson already? I am not able to see any files.
Hi Sanskrit,

What, exactly, did you try out in GTSS? Have you read the documentation?

After logging in, please try the following:

1. select filter by author
2. select yourself as the author
3. click on the "Files" tab
4. right click on the "Files" tab
5. in the context menu click on "discover by author"

After a second or two, the tabspace will be populated with a list of lessonIDs. You can click on a lessonID to open the lesson and begin working on it.

Cordially,

Paul

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

Thanks for the quick steps. I haven't read the complete documentation yet. I also didn't find anything about accents in the documentation. Could you explain me how to use them?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,

It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that GTSS lets you enter text in Betacode or in Unicode.

There is nothing in using GTSS that relates specifically to accents.

Cordially,

Paul

Gabrielwelter
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gabrielwelter »

Hello. I know I am late, but is there any chance for me to join the group? I am already on lesson 30, but its being sooo much harder and slower without help. I am willing to do the first lessons again and I'm sure to benefit from other people's feedback.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Gabrielwelter,

It's OK with me. But you really need to get the guides' approval.

And speaking of the guides, I think they should be finalizing a schedule real soon now.... :)

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:
And speaking of the guides, I think they should be finalizing a schedule real soon now.... :)

Cordially,

Paul
I was thinking that GGG in her capacity as main guide/ head cheese/ top dog, would introduce the way this group is going to work. Sunday has come and gone but not much has happened.
I will post to Pharr-c@textkit.com with some instructions. (If you joined the mailing list, you will get what ever mail gets sent to that address.)
If any of you have any questions about the workings of the group, please use that address.
If you have questions about grammar or other things to do with the lessons, please post them using the Q-A tab in GTSS.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Well, after asking several times if I could be on the new Pharr group mailing list it now seems that I can no longer join as it is marked as full!
All I want is to be on the mailout list, so could whoever is doing this please contact me with a PM.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Carola,

Are you referring to "full" as it appears in http://www.textkit.com/groups/ ?

If so, that entry refers to the first sailing of pharr-c.

I suspect that Will Annis can help in the matter of the mailing list.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

She's in.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Thanks for this.

Carol

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I am sorry - my ISP has been unreliable the past few days, and I have been rather distracted by Real Life. I'll try to get this group organized now.

andrei
Textkit Neophyte

May I Rejoin?

Post by andrei »

Hi,

I had to drop out of the last Pharr class because I became too busy at work. I reached Chapter 13 last time. I have a strong interest in learning Homeric greek and would love to join this class.

Thanks

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: May I Rejoin?

Post by Bert »

andrei wrote:Hi,

I had to drop out of the last Pharr class because I became too busy at work. I reached Chapter 13 last time. I have a strong interest in learning Homeric greek and would love to join this class.

Thanks
You should still be in the system so all you have to do is type over your original entry. (Or copy from your word processing program and paste into GTSS.)

andrei
Textkit Neophyte

Post by andrei »

Thanks so much! :D

Where will the new schedule be posted?

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

I am sorry too. I had been painting my bedroom last week. It was filled with clutter that I had to put in place. I hope I can start tomorrow.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Have you all received some e-mails from Pharr-c@textkit.com ?
If not, you have not registered correctly.
Some of you have entered work but not nearly all of you.
We are of to a rocky start but I will do my best to make the group useful to you.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

andrei wrote: Where will the new schedule be posted?
The prelimenary schedule was mentioned on the mailing list.
Something more permanent will be posted on the info page. http://textkit.com/mailman/listinfo/pharr-c_textkit.com

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I am very sorry, but it turns out that I can't guide the Pharr group after all.

To make a very long story short, I have less free time than I expected. I thought I could still run this group (with help), since even during the really busy parts of the school year I have managed to squeeze in time as a part-time tutor at my school. Former school now. However, dealing with this online-thing is a larger learning curve than I expected, I will be gone for the month of September (instead of July), and after September I will be even busier. As things currently are, it is all I can do to keep up with my own Greek study, let along supervise others.

My apologies for taking so long to state this

Sara

(whose entire lower face is still high on lidocaine, which is like novocaine except significently stronger).

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Sara,

Thank you for letting us know about this. I trust that things will settle down for you soon enough.

I have asked Fernand, known in these parts as "Skylax", to take your place and he has graciously accepted.

I think that the group is now more or less underway. But maybe Bert can officially wave the green flag.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I think that the group is now more or less underway. But maybe Bert can officially wave the green flag.
[official wave of green flag]
We had two promised starting dates. First, June 14 and then June 25.
Both came and went without any action and some of the eager beavers got anxious and concerned. So, as I mentioned in this thread, I went ahead on my own and announced a start date and some prelimenary instructions.
We have been going since July 3rd.
I'm sure glad that Skylax has agreed to look after the E-G.
I learned a lot from the three guides of Pharr-a, of which he was one.
If any of you who have not started yet still wish to do so, don't wait to long. It is easily managable to catch up now but it'll get harder the longer you wait.[/official wave of green flag]

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Hi...has the Pharr-C group started? I apologize if this is a noobian question...but I'm having a hard time figuring out how if one is starting, if one is reorganizing, etc...as the information here seems to be a little different than what's listed under the "Groups" menu.

I would like to take part and if there's room or too much hasn't transpired, I'd love to join up.

Anyway, many thanks,
Chris

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Chris,

Did you e-mail me and request GTSS login tokens? On June 15 in this thread I wrote:

"Would everyone on this list please e-mail me, requesting GTSS login tokens? You can construct my e-mail address out of the domain name 'optonline.net' and the userid 'greekgeek'. After receiving your e-mail, I will send you your login tokens (userid and password) along with links to GTSS documentation."

I ask because I see neither "Chris" nor "cdm2003" among the registered users.

Please advise, thanks.

-pb

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Hi Chris. It is for you to decide if to much has been covered for you to still join. This coming Thursday paragaph 22 of lesson V is due.
If you think you can catch up, fine! Just follow the instructions found in this thread. Look for the posts by "Paul" re. getting set up in the GTSS program, and the ones by "Annis" re. registering.
Ones you are registered you should read the post in the Pharr-c mailing list archives. (Only about the last month's worth.)
If you have any problems please ask.