Supporting Textkit

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Supporting Textkit

Post by Jeff Tirey »

There have been so many great textbook recommendations made on this forum that it has become clear to me that visitors are in need of helpful book suggestions in addition to free downloads and a very unique and growing learning community.<br /><br />Textkit is always in need of non-intrusive ways of generating revenue (we currently have none) to help off-set our staggering operating expenses.<br /><br />So it occurred to me that perhaps an affiliate relationship with Amazon.com might help everyone out.<br /><br />We have created a short and growing list of suggested Greek and Latin book titles. If you're in the market for the real McCoy, please consider making your purchase through our affiliate links. It costs nothing for you and it's a way for us to earn a small commission.<br /><br />here's the link: http://www.textkit.com/support.php<br /><br />If I'm missing some titles (I know I am) please PM me to make a recommendation.<br /><br />On a related side note:<br />I haven't yet decided if I want to promote this page on the site at large. I probably will, but I'm very sensitive to creating and maintaining a web site that is fun and free from commercial solicitations. The Internet these days is one huge commercial and I do take pride in providing a site that is free of banners, commercial requests and evil pop-ups >:(. <br /><br />Still, our operating expenses are quite significant - it's a number I prefer to keep private, however, I'm willing to wager that the amount would most likely surprise you. You should try pricing production scanners and conversion software for some indication :'(<br /><br />So we are looking for the least harmless ways to provide support.<br /><br /><br />thanks for understanding and we welcome your support!<br /><br />Jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:Supporting Textkit

Post by Raya »

Sounds like a great idea to me!<br /><br />As for promoting this link: I wouldn't see it as shameless advertising at all. In a sense, it's a service you're providing to us: there's a certain convenience in reading about a book on the forum and having a direct link to purchase it (rather than having to go hunting for it oneself). We still have to pay for the book, yes - but we'd expect to anyway - and as you say, it costs no more than it usually does on amazon.com.<br /><br />So - good luck with this! ;)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />That's wonderful, Jeff, but why couldn't you set this up a couple weeks ago before I went ahead and ordered the Moreland and Fleischer book from Amazon?? >:( <br /><br />Well, I do plan to buy one or more (probably all three!) of the Latin grammars you have listed on the page sometime after I get past Latin basics. The next book I really want to get is Cassell's Latin Dictionary, which a couple of other people here are using and have recommendeed.<br /><br />Looking at the URL for the three Latin Grammars, I see that they all have this in common: redirect?tag=textkit-20&path=<br /><br />I've determined that one of the URLs for Cassell's Latin Dictionary is:<br /> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... /sr=1-2<br /><br />Now inserting the Textkit redirector, would it be incorrect to use this URL for the book?<br /> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redir ... /sr=1-2<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Thanks for the vote of support. <br /><br />Yes, you're very good - our account is textkit-20 so when a link has that value in its url it identifies us to Amazon.<br /><br />I need to add a couple catch-all ways so that if someone would like to purchase a book that isn't listed they can do so.<br /><br />I'll be adding a key word search box shortly.<br /><br />thanks again!<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Good idea Jeff and perhaps members could also provide a few reviews of textbooks they already own. I have actually found Amazon UK to be even better than the USA connection for Classics books, but, hey, why not see if you can get a link with both (and then you can pick some commission from European book buyers as well). The whole point of Textkit is that it provides material for Classical enthusiasts, if it is free, great, but there are good books still in copyright. Also, if interest is generated in these subjects it will (1) bring down the price (big cheaper print runs) and (2) encourage publishers to bring out more books on Classics subjects. <br />But no pop-up adds pleeeease!!! ;)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hmm, good idea Jeff.<br />But the redirection tags disappear when I click the links, on both netscape and explorer -- I don't know why. Does it affect the identification?<br />I also suggest tagging "www.amazon.de", for some of the nice books(i.e., Kühner and Gerth) are available only there. Other amazon shop I didn't check.<br /><br />Good luck!<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I am not really fond of the idea of advertising (the only TV station I watch is PBS ;D), but if Textkit needs it, I would say, go ahead. Do what you have to do to keep the site up and running! <br /><br />Keesa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=525;start=0#4746 date=1061607444]<br />Hmm, good idea Jeff.<br />But the redirection tags disappear when I click the links, on both netscape and explorer -- I don't know why. Does it affect the identification?<br />I also suggest tagging "www.amazon.de", for some of the nice books(i.e., Kühner and Gerth) are available only there. Other amazon shop I didn't check.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />They should still work - I'm new to the amazon program and the logs havn't come out yet. From what I can tell Amazon made a change in their link technology this summer, so I hope that's why I don't see textkit in the url once it is passed.<br /><br />I will certainly look into UK and DE - good suggestions!<br /><br />Hi Keesa, I like PBS too - but even they have mechanisms for bringing in income - and we won't be having a telethon ;). No one's a big fan of adverstising - because all so often it is done wrong on the Internet with pop-ups, flashing big ads and the like, but we're going to try to do things with a bit more class. We won't be trying to sell you credit cards or auto loans and by suggesting books, which fits very well with our audience's interest, we think its a very small burdern for all and a convience for some. Also, no ads run on the home page, footer or any of the major secondary pages.<br /><br />thanks!<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Jeff,<br />How about creating a cd with all textkit's books on it?<br />

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

There are companies on the net, such as swreg.org , which will accept and automatically handle credit card payments for software etc for a percentage of the purchase price.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

How about also linking Textkit to amazon.ca for the Canadians?!? :) <br /><br />Jeff: Would you be willing (able?) to post when Textkit has received money through an amazon associated website for us to see that Textkit is benefitting from this? It would be neat to know that in the month of say...September 'X' number of people purchased through the Textkit link....just a thought

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=525;start=0#4614 date=1061505933]<br />I'll be adding a key word search box shortly. [/quote]<br /><br />That would be wicked cool. <br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Bartleby.com (www.bartleby.com) has some of the best-done advertising I've seen yet. Most of their advertisments are inconspicuous, which I suppose is not really the point of an advertisement, but it does make the site more pleasant for viewing!

heleb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by heleb »

Hi Jeff,<br /><br />As a test, on August 22nd I ordered a book from Amazon using the link. Could you please tell us if it works? If such is the case, I will tell my friends and will continue doing so myself.<br /><br />Cheers!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Yes it worked! I'll PM you the details.<br /><br />Jeff
Textkit Founder

heleb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by heleb »

Hi Jeff,<br /><br />Glad it works. I PM you the details of the book. Now, I'll go ahead and order a few other Latin books.<br /><br />Just one question: Will Amazon also credit you if the link is used to books unrelated to Latin/Greek? I hope so.<br /><br />Cheers

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

I just placed an order. :-*

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

First off all - your support is most appreciated!<br /><br /><br />Yes, just use the search box at the bottom and it will credit Textkit. I'll also add in some browse by subjects and a Amazon home page link.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I just noticed the new Amazon search feature. Works great!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thanks. I'm also added Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk<br /><br />It'll take me some time to add in all the direct product links - but there's at least a link at the bottom of the support page to visit those sites with our amazon affiliate id.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't want to ask too much, but can you do chapters too??? Just a search box would be cool... I never shop at amazon because chapters gives me 10% off and a rewards program... <br /><br />http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/article.a ... DBBDAB1127
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

This looks great Jeff, and I will use this next time I order textbooks

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I will also use it...next time I have some money to buy books with! ;)<br /><br />Keesa<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I like the banners, Jeff. They're not overly intrusive, but they are out where everyone can see them-and use them! ;D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

thanks for the feedback. I'll be tinkering here and there over the next few weeks, but for the most part - i think I'm done installing ads.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

A question. The banners link to the US Amazon. If I follow the link from there to a different branch (for example UK Amazon), will textkit still get the commission?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I don't think so. <br /><br />You need to go the support page:<br />http://www.textkit.com/support.php<br /><br /><br />And at the bottom there's a tracking link to Amazons Canada and UK.<br /><br />thanks!<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

So, if I use the banners to get to Amazon, then see a book I want-or follow links within Amazon to a book I want-will they still credit Textkit, regardless of whether the book has anything to do with Latin or Greek?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=525;start=15#5889 date=1063370755]<br />So, if I use the banners to get to Amazon, then see a book I want-or follow links within Amazon to a book I want-will they still credit Textkit, regardless of whether the book has anything to do with Latin or Greek? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes. So long as you enter Amazon through any of our links we'll earn a small commission. It can be for other books, other items like a kitchen blender or the used market place items.<br /><br />thanks!<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Is the commission tied to the price of the book?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yes it is. It's a % of the item price. Amazon offers 15%, 5% and 2.5% commissions.<br /><br />We can earn 15% commission if a visitor follows a direct product link from Textkit to Amazon for most 30% off books. One HUGE stipulation is that the visitors must add the book to their cart upon arriving at the page before browsing around, otherwise it's a 5% commission. <br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ooh! I just saw Gildersleeve's on the banner! It's actually not so much an annoying banner as it is a tease or an exhibition. When I get someone to buy me that O.L.D., I shall ask them to do it through Textkit (that should be a nice Christmas present for both of us :)).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'd love to support textkit but never use amazon :(<br /><br />chapters gives me 10% off every purchase, plus a rewards program... and they are a canadian company...<br /><br />if you set up a link for chapters I would use it often ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus