2 Infin + possum/iubeo/veto etc.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

2 Infin + possum/iubeo/veto etc.

Post by Episcopus »

See french ex. "je vous demande d'aller manger" <br />I ask you to go and eat. <br /><br />is this possible: "because I can order you to teach..." <br />"quia vos iubere docere possum"<br /><br />Is this a ridiculous assumption? How two infin.? <br /><br />Somebody mentioned the gerundive but with that "I'm like 'ya whatever' " I do be afraid :-[

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:2 Infin + possum/iubeo/veto etc.

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I think one can say:<br /><br />Qvia vos ivbere possvm vt doceatis<br /><br /><br />The double-use of the infinitives is probably grammatically correct, however confusing.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

I believe it's all right, because the second infinitive is actually acting as a noun....... It's become a "what" - the direct object of "order", if you like. (It's being a gerund.... ;) )<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It might be more elegant to say quia iubeam vos docere. In that instance, the subjunctive could be translated as "can".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=536;start=0#4725 date=1061597749]<br />I believe it's all right, because the second infinitive is actually acting as a noun....... It's become a "what" - the direct object of "order", if you like. (It's being a gerund.... ;) )<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />This is interesting...but I can't say myself to understand (lack of progress towards Gerund...). Is a beginner's explanation available ;)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=536;start=0#4715 date=1061592126]<br /><br />is this possible: "because I can order you to teach..." <br />"quia vos iubere docere possum"<br /><br />Is this a ridiculous assumption? How two infin.? <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />It is possible. You say for example :<br /><br />Quia iubere possum vos docere... (You would obtain an intricate sentence because you have yet to add a direct object to docere) :P

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Thanks skylax!<br /><br />How do you know where to put each of the three verbs?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=536;start=0#4767 date=1061644043]<br />This is interesting...but I can't say myself to understand (lack of progress towards Gerund...). Is a beginner's explanation available ;) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />... sorry... Thank heaven for Skylax, no? :D<br /><br />Kilmeny