Viri Romae

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Viri Romae

Post by tjnor »

I have recently been culling books from my library and I ran across an old school text that I picked up about ten years ago. It is a 1905 edition of D'Ooge's Viri Romae. This is D'Ooge's shorthand for a book known in Europe as Selections from Urbis Romae Viri Inlustres. Apparently, it was in use from the mid-Eighteenth century until the beginning of the last as a bridge between second-year Latin and the reading of Caesar. D'Ooge re-worked the book for "modern" students.

I have not seen this book on the Textkit archives. Is there any interest in uploading it to the site? It covers early Roman history (Monarchy up to Augustus) through the lives of great Roman men. It also has composition exercises as well as a full glossary.

My copy is fairly clean. Most of the notations are in the exercise area of the book and seem to be instructions for which exercises were to be assigned. There is very little in the way of completed answers to the exercises.

What is the process for making this text available? I know that there was an earlier discussion in the D'Ooge group on next steps after completing his Beginner's Latin. This book seems to fill that gap.

What do any of you think?

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

I would like to see it. :)

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Hi Tjnor,

I also would like very much to have it in Textkit and in my hard disk. I think, but not totally sure, you should contact Jeff by PM or email so he can tell you if he can host the book and what are the proceedings to do it.

Best regards,

Andrus.

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Viri Romae

Post by tjnor »

Thank you Andrus. I have contacted Jeff per your advice.