Word of the day Week of 8/18

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Word of the day Week of 8/18

Post by ingrid70 »

Just a fun word:<br /><br />Persalutare: to salute one after another<br /><br />I came across this word in my Latin-Dutch dictionary, and I had this vision of a birthday party, everbody sitting everywhere, and each time someone new comes in they all have to stand up of for shaking hands and kisses. People, I'll skip the persalutatio today :).<br /><br />Ingrid

Blasius
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Word of the day Week of 8/18

Post by Blasius »

persalutare - in Latin when an adjective or a verb, etc. is prefixed by "per +" they become emphatic - e.g. superlative<br />permulti = very many; but you must always check it on your lexicon to see whether the verb/noun to which you have added the prefix "per" was used or not by classical authors.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Blasius link=board=3;threadid=518;start=0#4673 date=1061573434]<br />permulti = very many; but you must always check it on your lexicon to see whether the verb/noun to which you have added the prefix "per" was used or not by classical authors.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />why? can't i use it anyway even if they didn't? (or maybe they did and we just don't have record of it ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

klewlis <br />[color=Maroon wrote:why? can't i use it anyway even if they didn't? (or maybe they did and we just don't have record of it ;)[/color]<br />
<br /><br />That's what I'm always wondering about when learning principal parts of verbs, where there is no supine. How do they know there isn't any? Just beacuse it doesn't occur in the texts we have, or because old grammarians say so? Or do ancient authors invent all kinds of different structures to make up for the lack of a certain supine? <br /><br />Besides, if you check several dictionaries, there's always one that doesn't agree with the others about existing supines :). The experts seem to disagree on it.<br /><br />Ah, well, here goes...timeo, timere, timui, *beep*<br /><br />Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes, I agree. We should not be dictated to by some weird guys who wrote so much about women yet never even touched one. <br /><br />I say invent our own words if need be; this is creative.<br /><br />And why should we wait for "New Latin words approved by the Vatican"?! >:(

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Blasius link=board=3;threadid=518;start=0#4673 date=1061573434]<br />persalutare - in Latin when an adjective or a verb, etc. is prefixed by "per +" they become emphatic - e.g. superlative<br />permulti = very many; but you must always check it on your lexicon to see whether the verb/noun to which you have added the prefix "per" was used or not by classical authors.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Haha, superlative? Super is connected with per? I never even noticed the similarity... So what is the significance of su-?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Blasius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Blasius »

I don't know that you do not even understand English<br />I said "Per" as a prefix and not suffix - at least the "per" of super is a suffix not a prefix -ha!ha!ha!<br />Well after all "super" is a prepostion like "per".