denuo ex mente

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

denuo ex mente

Post by Deudeditus »

some more litterae to think about/mock me for. :D

ambulans animam ex corpore cerno – uersine oculi eius mihi? Deus me iuuet, adeo defluxi ut animae meae hodie non uiderem iohannem esse. lupi me opperiuntur cum fugiens urbe mea discedo. uae! dentes lupini proditionis casum meum gignunt. iam senatores caros iterum uidebo. Deus me iuuit.

any comments/criticisms? (any would be welcomed) It kinda ties in with this, well, the wolves and my fair city, anyway.

-Jon

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

uiderem
... uiderer :oops:
maybe it should be in the present subj. anyway. doesn't make sense, the imperfect with hodie.

ambulans animam ex corpore cerno - uersine oculi eius mihi? Deus me iuuet, adeo defluxi ut animae meae hodie non uiderer/uidear iohannem esse. lupi me opperiuntur cum fugiens urbe mea discedo. uae! dentes lupini proditionis casum meum gignunt. iam senatores caros iterum uidebo. Deus me iuuit. Requiescam.

:D
-Jon

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

ambulans animam ex corpore cerno - uersine oculi eius mihi? Deus me iuuet, adeo defluxi ut animae meae hodie non uiderer/uidear iohannem esse. lupi me opperiuntur cum fugiens urbe mea discedo. uae! dentes lupini proditionis casum meum gignunt. iam senatores caros iterum uidebo. Deus me iuuit. Requiescam.

I enjoyed reading this, though I didn't quite understand all of it. Not because of the grammar, necessarily - rather, the context seems a bit vague. Here are a couple questions/suggestions:

-versine oculi eius mihi - is there an implied sunt here? i.e., have his eyes turned to me?
-adeo defluxi ut animae meae... - this was the most confusing part - what is the meaning of defluxi here? literally, "flowed down/out," is it more like "zone out/space out"? also, why animae meae? I don't understand the case of this at all
-viderer/videar - I think videar, pres. subj., is better, since your defluxi must be present perfect ("I have flowed out") not historical perfect. Primary sequence follows from present perfect, that is, perfect that relates to the present
-proditionis - does this depend on dentes lupini - so "the wolf-fangs of treachery?"
-senatores caros videbo - is the idea here that the speaker has been betrayed and is about to see the senators who, apparently, are either dead or also apprehended? is the deus me iuvit ironic, given the request earlier?

Regards!

David

PS - the iuvit tripped me up - because I forgot that iuvo had an irregular perfect stem. Two steps forward, one step back...

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

uersine oculi eius mihi? - yes. sunt is implied. I was trying for another way to say 'is she looking at me?

adeo defluxi ut animae meae hodie non uidear iohannem esse. - I have flown down (from the source. ie my true, natural self) so far that even now (today) I don't appear to my own soul to be me (ie I don't recognize myself). defluo can also mean to be lost. so adeo defluxi could mean 'I have been lost for so long' but I found that out later.

proditionis - aye. they be wolffangs of betrayal

illi senatores sunt sanitas ipsa sed a lupis ex Chao deuorati sunt (as is my pronounciation of Latin! :lol: ) the senators and the wolves are a throwback to another composition I wrote.

nihil ironiae de 'deus me iuuit' (sed si eam uides...) quoniam in regno dei sunt senatores mei qui uero sunt sanitas mihi.