Anyone starting Pharr

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
joneill4
Textkit Neophyte

Anyone starting Pharr

Post by joneill4 »

I am about to start Pharr and was wondering if a group might be forming?

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I have just taken the updated version of Pharr out of the library - I don't really think I would have the time to join another study group but wouldn't mind being on the group mailing list as a spectator.
I am currently helping revise the key for the D'Ooge Latin group - this might also be a project for the Pharr Group - to do a key with notes etc. This means that anyone can do the exercises, check answers and read some of the discussion and notes generated by a previous group. Even a digest of the emails sorted by exercise number or chapter would be helpful.
Any comment?
Carol

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi Carol:

I think an answer key to Pharr is a fantastic idea, and could be very possible with a group effort. It seems like there are some people who want to work through Pharr but can't be in a textkit group, either because of timing, or, like me, they can't commit to regular computer time.

I know that Paul has the infastructure set up already on his website for a web based answer key, with some answers, and I really like the design. But I think it would also be good to have a pdf version available for use away from the computer. I think Will had one started already, with several chapters done; it was online somewhere.

I don't see myself having the time to work on the answers, or even really do corrections, but if someone in the current Pharr group who has more time than the others could organize the "correct" answers that the group works out, even if in betacode, I would be willing to do the typesetting. I wouldn't be the best person as far as noticing mistakes, but I'm good at paying attention to detail as far as typing, and I'm pretty good with the LaTeX code that Will uses for Aoidoi commentaries. Of course, I only send Will plain text code, and, I'm not sure how this works, but I think he says some magical spells in hexameter verse and it's suddenly a nice looking pdf file.....

I'm not exactly sure how Paul's group programming works, and if the correct answers are stored somewhere already? Does it use unicode? or are things done in betacode?

But I wouldn't even be able to do much of that until probably sometime well into June. It's a good thing to discuss though I think.

~Nick

TaoDude
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TaoDude »

I found the Greekgeek.org site that has an answer key to Pharr although I don't know what edition it is for. I emailed a Greek Literature Professor here at the University and he said he would answer any questions I have. I just thought others might be trying to do it on their own as well.

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Hi Taodude,

The greekgeek website is the same as I what I referred to as "Paul's" (he's a great textkit volunteer as well). I just looked at it again, and there are more answers available than I thought, and even some of his notes.

I really like the way it is set up, Paul.

~N

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

swiftnicholas wrote:I know that Paul has the infastructure set up already on his website for a web based answer key, with some answers, and I really like the design. But I think it would also be good to have a pdf version available for use away from the computer. I think Will had one started already, with several chapters done; it was online somewhere.

I'm not exactly sure how Paul's group programming works, and if the correct answers are stored somewhere already? Does it use unicode? or are things done in betacode?
Hey Nick,

My answer key for Pharr is complete only for the Greek to English exercises. It wouldn't be difficult to make a PDF out of these.

As to GTSS: please note that it was used by pharr-b starting from about Pharr paragraph 181. The pharr-c group used it from the outset (paragraph 11) but I don't think they ever finished Pharr. Hence there are some holes in the GTSS Pharr lessons.

That said, please note that anyone can login to GTSS as "guest" and use the Files and Search tabs to search the work submitted by group members. I have yet to implement a cross-group search facility. Hence you are constrained to searching within a single group.

I should also mention that GTSS enables you to create an RTF file at the GTSS web server. These can be downloaded and easily turned into PDF files.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Cordially,

Paul

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Thanks Paul!

I didn't realize that your G-E exercises were complete, and it would be easy for anyone to make their own document out of what you have.

I logged on to the group study section, and it's fantastic; anyone working on Pharr should learn how to navigate it. I wouldn't be a good person to decide exactly which E-G translations would be good representatives, but frankly, it's probably much more helpful to be able to see all of the attempts and corrections using your website. It would be nice to have the earlier E-G sections too, but that will have to come from the next group, or a "big Greek" who falls into a lot of free time.

So there's probably not much reason to create a pdf at this point.

Is the Pharr-C group still going?

~N

EDIT: I only looked at PharrB, so maybe some of the earlier E-G exercises are already there in PharrC.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Paul wrote:The pharr-c group used it from the outset (paragraph 11) but I don't think they ever finished Pharr.
Is pharr-c still ongoing and just not finished yet, or did it dissolve?
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

I'm not sure. I think Bert was serving as a guide for this group. He would know.

Cordially,

Paul

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

What do these groups entail?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:I'm not sure. I think Bert was serving as a guide for this group. He would know.

Cordially,

Paul
One enthusiastic late starter is still working on it but not on any kind of schedule.
There were two others who seemed to be real eager but they stopped submitting at the same time. Too bad. :cry:

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

For those starting Pharr, here are some helpful notes on composition for the first 7 lessons:

http://www.freewebs.com/mhninaeide/pharrnotes.pdf

~N

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

I am just beginning to study Pharr and would be interested in joining a group.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Did anything ever happen about a mailing list/group for Pharr?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Carola wrote:Did anything ever happen about a mailing list/group for Pharr?
Someone (preferably two someones) needs to offer to run such a list first.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Mmmm, I would agree to check either the G > E excercises or E > G excercises, but not both. Therefore I would require a partner in crime.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:Mmmm, I would agree to check either the G > E excercises or E > G excercises, but not both. Therefore I would require a partner in crime.
I can't really help as I am already doing the D'Ooge Latin group's exercises. (Not to mention working, attending university, playing music and sometimes running a household :D ) Also my Greek is still at beginners stage.

It would only take an hour or 2 a week if there is someone out there. It's fun and will look good on your CV.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Also, there might/probably will be about two weeks this summer when I will be separated from the internet. Possibly three. I will need my partner to take up the slack during that time, or have the group members wait a few weeks to recieve a large bunch of corrections. Those weeks will probably be in late June/early July.

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Anyone Starting Pharr

Post by tjnor »

I too would like to join a new Pharr group. What number is needed for a critical mass?

WangWei
Textkit Neophyte

Post by WangWei »

I'm also starting with Pharr, and I am deeply interested in joining the group, as hardly any other aid is available here in Shanghai.

Qbe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Qbe »

I never got to take Homeric Greek due to schedule conflicts in college (ended up in Plato instead) and I'd like to make up that deficiency, so I'd be interested too.

Bill Dundon
Textkit Neophyte

New Pharr Group

Post by Bill Dundon »

I'm from Pharr-c and the only student left. I wouldn't mind starting over again in another Pharr study group. Please let me know if another one is forming. Thanks

Cordially,
Bill Dundon :D

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:Mmmm, I would agree to check either the G > E excercises or E > G excercises, but not both. Therefore I would require a partner in crime.
Seeing that I like the crime, I'll be partner.
There are 6 people who indicated interest.
What do you say?

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I graduate from high school this Tuesday. I can start a group on Wedsday I suppose. Of course, I've given up on trying to catch up with the Iliad 2 group, and I think I have to leave that mailing list.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Bert,

Does it make sense just to re-use the pharr-c GTSS structures? No old work would be lost. It would be just a new start for pharr-c.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:Bert,

Does it make sense just to re-use the pharr-c GTSS structures? No old work would be lost. It would be just a new start for pharr-c.

Cordially,

Paul
The only Pharr-c-er left would like to start over to reinforce what he has learned so far.
How would he do that if his lessons in GTSS are completed alreay?
I guess he could delete the lessons as he gets to them and then republish.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert (and GlottalGreekGeek),

I'm pretty sure that nothing prevents him from editing/republishing a lesson.

Cordially,

Paul

Sanskrit
Textkit Member

Post by Sanskrit »

I have a few hours free this summer and I would like to start with Pharr. Can I still join the group?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Paul wrote:Hi Bert (and GlottalGreekGeek),

I'm pretty sure that nothing prevents him from editing/republishing a lesson.

Cordially,

Paul
You are right. I tried it. All it takes is -right click on text- paste translation-publish lesson-close lesson. Just like when there is no entry yet.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Bert wrote:You are right. I tried it. All it takes is -right click on text- paste translation-publish lesson-close lesson. Just like when there is no entry yet.
That's good news. You should also be able to change your old translation simply by typing over it.

So GTSS is ready for another sailing of pharr-c. You and Miss G-cubed need to gather your participants and set a start date. I will need their e-mail addresses and any userid preferences they might have so that I can add them to system.

Cordially,

Paul

charleshardt
Textkit Neophyte

Count me in.

Post by charleshardt »

I got up to Lesson 27 on my own about a year ago and had to put it on hold due to time constraints. But I'm dying to finish it, and would seriously be interested in joining a group here. I need the review, and all this talk about starting a new group has got me fired up. When do we begin?

Bill Dundon
Textkit Neophyte

Pharr-C

Post by Bill Dundon »

Dear Bert and Paul:
Thanks for letting me know the procedure for republishing my answers from Pharr-C. When does the new group start. Any idea of a date?

Cordially,
Bill Dundon :D

Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Continuing Pharr

Post by Dimitri »

Paul,

I would also be very interested in continuing my studies of Pharr by joining the study group. Can you let me know the details and what information you need?

thanks,
Dimitri

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Count me in.

Post by Bert »

charleshardt wrote: When do we begin?
Glottal GG has agreed to be the main guide. She will come up with a starting date etc.

skothari01
Textkit Neophyte

Post by skothari01 »

hello...i too would be interested in joining a new pharr group. i had to drop out of a previous pharr group over a year ago (made it through lesson 20) but am eager to begin again.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re: Count me in.

Post by Paul »

Bert wrote:Glottal GG has agreed to be the main guide. She will come up with a starting date etc.
Swell. I would ask Ms. G-cubed to give me a little lead time so that I can set up GTSS for the new members of pharr-c.

Again, I will need their e-mail @s and any preferences for a userid.

-pb

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I have updated the group web pages to say "reforming" beside Pharr-C. More pharr-seers!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Brendan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brendan »

Well, I have been forging ahead on my own, but I'd love the chance to join this group. I'm up to lesson XXV but would be happy to start again and review everything. Can I play too?

fpens
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fpens »

Hi!
I would also like to join a group starting Pharr.

Norman Hills
nlongrifle@hotmail.com

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Forgive me if I am being pushy, but GGG and Bert, any idea when you might light the candle on this group?

Cordially,

Paul