Help with translation wanted!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Help with translation wanted!

Post by daonlyfreez »

Hello,<br /><br />I'm trying to translate two simple oneliners, sofar I have only this rough translations, can anyone help?<br /><br />"It's a good day to die"<br />"Bonum die mori est" <br /><br />"I know something you don't know"<br />"Scio ... tibi non sciet"<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />daonlyfreez

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Re:Help with translation wanted!

Post by vinobrien »

I just know this is going to get a lot of posts of which mine will be the least usable but I'm running for a train, how about<br /><br />hodie bonum est mori (esne Kingon?)<br /><br />scio aliquid ego et tu illud non scis (na, na na, naaa, na)<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Hum.... I was wondering about <br /><br />bonus dies morienti est <br /><br />but I'm a little uncertain about the use of the participle.<br /><br />I liked the second translation, especially the brackets!<br /><br />Milito.

daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daonlyfreez »

I just learned it's not a Klingon thing, but a Sioux thing... :D<br />It's reported to be what Crazy Horse told his men<br />prior to the battle of Little Big Horn. <br /><br />Greetings, and thanks so far,<br /><br />daonlyfreez

daonlyfreez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by daonlyfreez »

Any more suggestions, anyone?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />daonlyfreez

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

"It's a good day to die"<br />Bonus dies ut moramur. "A good day for us to die."<br />Bonus dies ut moraris. "A good day for you to die."<br />Bonus dies mori. "A good day to die." (This construction with the infinitive is rare in prose)<br /><br />"I know something you don't know"<br />Aliquid mihi at non tibi scitur. "Something is known to me but not to you"<br />Scio quod non scis. "I know what you do not"
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae