Thorough Greek Grammar

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Thorough Greek Grammar

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Does anyone here know of a thorough Greek grammar, which has stood the test of time, is advanced, and is relatively ubiquitous/easy to procure?<br /><br />p.s. I would prefer it if the book were more-or-less THE definitive text on Greek grammar.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Thorough Greek Grammar

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I suggest Greek Grammar by Herbert Weir Smyth. First printed in 1920 and going strong with reprints widely available.<br /><br />Jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Also, we'll be posting Smyth's Greek Grammar around the 24th of this month. Check it out then. <br /><br />The grammar is VERY large, at just under 800 pages - so owning the real thing might be more practical if you plan to use it frequently. The first edition was 1920, there's also a 1956 edition and many reprints. The most recent reprint I have seen is 1983. Try to find a reprint if you want to save money. They can be found easily looking on Amazon.<br /><br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Thank you very much! :)

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

I think Kühner-Gerth is considered the authorative Greek grammar; it doesn't meet your other requirements, though. It's four volumes, probably costs a small fortune and is in German (which may be a problem).<br />I'm afraid that the definitive Greek grammar doesn't exist. The subject is too vast to be described in complete up-to-date detail.<br /><br />Ptolemaios

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Well, if you can't wait, you can find smyth's at Perseus Digital Library. But its in separate web pages section by section. You will prefer pdf to html, and paper book to pdf. ;) <br />*Smyth:<br />http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... &query=toc<br />*and Kühner-Gerth :<br />http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... &query=toc<br />

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

How much does the German four-volume bookset cost?<br /><br />Although, it is rather irrelevant for me to ask such a question as I do not even speak German! :)<br />I am just interested to know.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

They sell them on amazon.de at 122.5 euro for each two books(a volume). Used book at about 35 euro.<br />But then how much is a euro?<br /><br />Search the item by <br />    "Ausführliche Grammatik der griechischen Sprache"<br />

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

At the moment 1 euro is about $1,10. I would have thought they were much more expensive.<br /><br />Ptolemaios

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Where are you from, Ptolemaios? I was intrigued to see you use a comma instead of a period? Are you from a Spanish-speaking country, or was that just a typo?

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Too off topic, so my reply is at the Open Board.<br /><br />Ptolemaios