Word-a-Day Latin Calendars

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Word-a-Day Latin Calendars

Post by mariek »

Do any of you have one of these calendars just for fun? I'm talking about those desk calendars with the pages you have to tear off each day; and on each page they give you a Latin word or phrase.<br /><br />I'm just curious. It's almost 2004! They have these calendars for all sorts of things. I even saw one which gives you origami folding instructions for something different each day. I've never kept one of these types of calendars for the full calendar year. I'd always start off on a roll, and then get lazy about tearing off the pages... then I'm always stuck in March or April for the rest of the year.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Word-a-Day Latin Calendars

Post by klewlis »

I'd love to have a latin one...<br /><br />those calendars are great to keep at your office desk, because the pages make great notepaper later on... I used to read the Far Side one religiously at my old job...<br /><br />I'm pretty sure latin one exist, but not sure how hard they are to locate.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

They do exist, I know Chapters is getting huge shipments of them into the stores in a couple weeks or so. You can also pick them up at most card stores or (duh) a calendar store.<br /><br />The producer ships globally too (I sent a friend one last year who lives in Nepal). And of course there's always ebay, amazon and the like....

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4514 date=1061395881]those calendars are great to keep at your office desk, because the pages make great notepaper later on... I used to read the Far Side one religiously at my old job... [/quote]<br /><br />I love the Far Side!<br /><br />So were you good about tearing off each page every day until the end of the year?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

yes<br /><br />and i was also good at making sure that other people in the office didn't read ahead. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thus making sure everybody stopped by your desk every day?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4557 date=1061432349]<br />Thus making sure everybody stopped by your desk every day?<br />[/quote]<br />I thought it was the candy jar on the desk that lured 'em in... ;D

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Others seem to deride those with word-a-day calendars (But how else is one to learn words? Is it nerdy to know how to communicate with others?!) If I were you, in order to escape derision, I would sit down by the fire with a nice dictionary and cram words into your head (much less nerdy!). ;)<br /><br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4559 date=1061433320]<br />[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4557 date=1061432349]<br />Thus making sure everybody stopped by your desk every day?<br />[/quote]<br />I thought it was the candy jar on the desk that lured 'em in... ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I had the candy jar AND a little couch.... so I got lots of visitors. It was at a college where I was programming so I had lots of weary students come in and chat too, which was great.<br /><br />The Far Side calendar was in a common area so my whole office read it ;)

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

The Latin "Word-A-Day"-type calendars have traditionally been full of mistakes. Who knows what 2004 will bring?<br /><br />Caveat emptor!<br /><br />Magistra

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Magistra link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4744 date=1061605526]<br />The Latin "Word-A-Day"-type calendars have traditionally been full of mistakes. Who knows what 2004 will bring?<br /><br />Caveat emptor!<br /><br />Magistra<br />[/quote]<br />Thanks for letting us know. Then perhaps these calendars aren't such a good idea then. <br /><br />I think th Living Language people come out with French, Spanish, Italian, etc Word-a-Day calendars. Perhaps they also have a Latin one? If so, I would think that a language-oriented company like that would check everything to make sure it's accurate.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You could say that they are useless, but they might also be a good exercise for correcting erroneous Latin ;o You find incorrect Latin all over the place in newspapers and other publications, so why, I ask you all, must you scorn the Calendar?!<br /><br /></rant>
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=515;start=0#4804 date=1061710743]<br />Thanks for letting us know. Then perhaps these calendars aren't such a good idea then. <br /><br />I think th Living Language people come out with French, Spanish, Italian, etc Word-a-Day calendars. Perhaps they also have a Latin one? If so, I would think that a language-oriented company like that would check everything to make sure it's accurate.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Just a question-and I certainly don't want to offend Episcopus-but...would a group called Living Languages publish calendars in Latin? <br /><br />Just a thought. <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Haha... you got me there...