Trouble with pronouns

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
sam0523
Textkit Neophyte

Trouble with pronouns

Post by sam0523 »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Greek and have been trying to work through White's First Greek Book. I'm having a little trouble with Lesson XVII, specifically Paragraph 162, question 10 where it says "[size=150]οἱ τε αὐτοῦ ἐκείνου" I assume it is refering back to "the soldiers" but I was wondering why it was in the genitive singular. Does it mean "of that same"? I'm probably just overlooking some obvious answer but it's been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Thanks for any help you can give.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Trouble with pronouns

Post by klewlis »

can you give us the full sentence for context?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

sam0523
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sam0523 »

Sorry about that. The complete sentence reads: [size=150]ταῦτα ἔλεξε κλέαρκος. οἱ δὲ στρατιῶται, οἵ τε αὐτοῦ ἐκείνου καὶ οἱ ἄλλοι, ἐκέλευον αὐτὸν ἄγειν τὴν στρατιάν. If I'm doing it right, it says, "Clearchus said this, but the soldiers, both (that same?) and the rest, commanded him to lead the army. Thanks again.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I think it's:<br /><br />"the soldiers, both his own and the others ...."<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

sam0523
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sam0523 »

Thanks for the help. :)

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi,<br /><br />I think the sense of [size=150]οἵ τε αὐτοῦ ἐκείνου καὶ οἱ ἄλλοι, might be "both each individually and all together". <br /><br />So the sentence would translate something like: "Klearchus said these things; and the soldiers, both individually and all together, urged him to lead the army".<br /><br />All three instances of [size=150]οἱ are, I think, demonstrative; the 'article' in Attic Greek.<br /><br />Perhaps the more radical meaning of the genitive in [size=150]αὐτοῦ ἐκείνου is something like "out of that soldier himself".<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

A quick glance at the LSJ entry for [size=150]ἄλλος doesn't show any examples where it means all together without any reference to others. Since this example comes from a beginners' book I think it's unlikely to be anything very recherche rather than the more obvious meaning klewlis has suggested.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I agree with klewlis, too. The point is that there were different groups of Greek soldiers commanded by different generals. The sentence points out that Clearchus' words were much appreciated, not only by his own troops (what wouldn't have been so convincing).

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

[quote author=bingley link=board=2;threadid=512;start=0#4486 date=1061357669]<br />A quick glance at the LSJ entry for [size=150]ἄλλος doesn't show any examples where it means all together without any reference to others.[/quote]<br /><br />Agreed. LSJ gives "all the others, the rest" for [size=150]οἱ ἄλλοι. Had I been right about the meaning of [size=150]αὐτοῦ ἐκείνου, and you and skylax are convincing me that I am not, then translating it as "all together" was an attempt to make the contrast between the soldiers acting individually and as a whole.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul