Embarrassing...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Embarrassing...

Post by Episcopus »

1. Num fugam temptaverunt? <br /><br />2. (Qui viri castra ponunt?) - Ii sunt viri quorum armis Germani victi sunt.<br /><br />I think I have some kind of block...nervousness before 3rd declension or something?<br /><br />And can interrogative pronouns be used in the plural to imply that the asker knows there to be more than one person doing whatever he asks about?<br /><br />Thanks.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Embarrassing...

Post by Milito »

I'm assuming your question about interrogative pronouns relates to the "qui viri".....<br /><br />In this case, it's an interrogative adjective, so follows the usual agreement rules.... It's saying "Which men are pitching camp?" You're experiencing the same problem I had when I was growling that relative pronouns were out to get me! Relative pronouns, interrogative pronouns and interrogative adjectives can be kind of hard to distinguish from each other.....<br /><br />So what in general is the problem?<br /><br />Kilmeny <br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Ii sunt viri quorum armis Germani victi sunt - is the problem...<br /><br />I had a total block before (one of those sentences I guess), but I'll have a guess: These are the men by whose arms the Germans were conquered.<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

I believe you've got it right. That's what I was reading it as. See, you're doing just fine! :D<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

is temptare to test also?<br /><br />They didn't test/try the fugitive...heh or something like that :-[

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

In the next exercise, it's rendered as "they attempt flight". It sounds awkward, I'd translate it more freely with "they tried to flee".<br /><br />I think it has to do with Latin being more concrete than English, but you'll have to ask the Latin composition wizards for more information on that.<br /><br />Ingrid

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Fugam temptare seems to be D'Ooge's Latin, for he wanted you to use a verb of the 1st conj. fugam petere or fugam capere are more common. But you find temptare viam "try a path" and temptare belli fortunam "try the fortune of war".

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

So what is fugam temptare? <br /><br />And what is attempt flight! <br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=514;start=0#4538 date=1061414751]<br />So what is fugam temptare? <br /><br />And what is attempt flight! <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I would have translated "fugam temptare" as "to tempt toward flight", as in, the people in question thought that running away was a really good idea. According to the Collins dictionary:<br /><br />tempto to feel, test by touching; to make an attempt on, attack; to try, essay, attempt; to try to influence, tamper with, tempt, incite"<br /><br />"Attempt flight" is what hang-gliders do..... (Oh, wasn't that what you meant? ;))<br /><br />("Attempt" is the deponent verb "conor, conari, conatus", but it can also be "tempto, temptare" as was used above.)<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />