Pharr section 31 line 1

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Pharr section 31 line 1

Post by Bert »

I am reviewing what I have learned so far and I got stuck at section 31 line 1 of Homeric Greek by Pharr.<br />[size=150]ἀείδομεν θεὰν θαλάσσης δεινῆς κλαγγῇ πολλῇ I am not sure about the correct translation of the dative of the last two words. Is it instrumental, as in - we sing with a great roar-? A roar does not seem a good discription for singing a song or chanting a chant. Is this what it means or did I go wrong somewhere?<br />Thanks.<br />Bert.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Pharr section 31 line 1

Post by annis »

A great noise (loud singing), perhaps?<br /><br />I tend to translate this as "shout" when humans are making it.<br /><br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=2;threadid=513;start=0#4452 date=1061332498]<br />Is it instrumental ?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think so. What else could it be ?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

[quote author=Skylax link=board=2;threadid=513;start=0#4495 date=1061384308]<br />[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=2;threadid=513;start=0#4452 date=1061332498]<br />Is it instrumental ?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think so. What else could it be ?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />At first I thought that a great roar refered to the terible sea, but then, why the dative? That's when I considered the roaring having to do with singing, which makes sense now that I know that it can mean shout.<br />What else could it be? I don't know; that's why I asked.<br />Someday I'll be as confident as you are. Untill then; thanks for the help!