Greek Texts out of Copyright that, in a Decent, Civilized So

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
adz000
Textkit Member

Greek Texts out of Copyright that, in a Decent, Civilized So

Post by adz000 »

Hello,<br /><br />I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post text suggestions in; but since I have a mental list, and am fairly confident that Jeff is reading this forum (hi Jeff!), I'll go ahead.<br /><br />The list is based on two factors: what is rare (and therefore hugely expensive, usually impossible for the average independent learner to have access to), and what is helpful if not indispensible while making one's through classical languages.<br /><br />Supplying scarce books seems to me an important part of the textkit mission, equal to if not more important than supplying basic beginner's texts. While someone with a few dollars can buy (used) basic language textbooks, grammars, introductory readers online; he/she will not be able to find these -- books basically impossible to find unless one lives near a large college library. I feel very strongly about catering to the person with a strong desire to learn this material deeply but without the physical means, rather than just to the student who wants a basic textbook on the cheap (no less noble a goal! I assure you as a student myself), and I commend textkit for what it's done so far. I'm not sure how textkit acquires books, but I assume that they are near a college or have people willing to make photocopies. I'll photocopy some myself if you offer some general guidelines about submission! Photocopies of books form the bulk of my library. Here is what I'd add to the extensive wish-list:<br /><br />

<br /><br />James Adam, The Republic of Plato (Cambridge: University Press, 1909).<br />J.A. Stewart, Notes on the Nicomachean Ethics of Aristotle (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1892)<br /><br />[size=18=9]τηε [i]ρεπυβλιξ[/i] ανδ [i]νιξομαξηεαν ετηιξς[/i] αρε τηε τωο μοστ ιμπορταντ ανδ ινφλυεντιαλ πηιλοσοπηιξαλ προσε ωορκς οφ ξλασσιξαλ αντιθυιτψ. τηεσε αρε τηε ονλψ τωο φυλλ ενγλιση ξομμενταριες ον τηε γρεεκ τηατ αρε [un]αϛαιλαβλε. Ενουγη σαιδ. Τηε φιρστ ωασ ρεπριντεδ ιν 1965 βυτ ισ στιλλ ραρε ανδ εχπενσιϛε ωηεν φορ σαλε, τηε σεξονδ ισ ξυρρεντλψ σελλινγ υσεδ φορ 4250 ανδ τηε 1999 ρεπριντ ισ σελλινγ φορ 42 01<br /><br />James Riddell, The Apology of Plato: with a revised text and English notes, and a digest of Platonic idioms (Oxford: Unviersity Press, 1877).<br /><br />[size=18=9]Ξυρρεντλψ σελλινγ υσεδ φορ 4120. Τηε ιμπορταντ παρτ οφ τηισ ισ τηε "διγεστ οφ Πλατονιξ ιδιομ" ιν τηε βαξκ, ωηιξη, φορ ιτσ ιμπορτανξε, ωασ εχξερπτεδ ανδ ρεπριντεδ ιν 196 . Ιτ ισ α συπερβ, εχξελλεντ, ξομπρεηενσιϛε, ανδ πραξτιξαλ ιντροδυξτιον το Πλατο’σ λανγυαγε ανδ στψλε.<br /><br />William Veitch, Greek Verbs, Irregular and Defective (Oxford: Clarendon Press: 1887).<br /><br />[size=18=9]"τηις βοοκ...ις τηε ρεσυλτ οφ μυξη τοιλσομ λαβουρ ανδ ανχιους τηουγητ." στανδαρδ ρεφερενξε ωορκ (ορ σηουλδ βἐ ον γρεεκ vερβς ιν ξοντεχτ. ιτ γιvες αττεστεδ φορμς ωιτη μασσιvε ξομμενταρψ, νοτ τηεορετιξαλλψ ποσσιβλε φορμς.<br /><br />Arthur Sidgwick, An Introduction to Greek Verse Composition (London: Rivingtons, 1889).<br />Arthur Sidgwick, Key to Greek Verse Composition (London: Rivingtons, 1883).<br /><br />[size=18=9]Γρεεκ Ϝερσε ξομποσιτιον, αρε ψου μαδ?1 Ψεσ, βυτ τηε ιντροδυξτορψ ξηαπτερ "Ηιντσ ον Ποετιξ Φορμσ ανδ Υσαγεσ" σηουλδ βε μανδατορψ ρεαδινγ βεφορε στυδεντσ αττεμπτ το ρεαδ 9νεϛερ μινδ ωριτἐ Γρεεκ τραγεδψ.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Greek Texts out of Copyright that, in a Decent, Civilized

Post by Jeff Tirey »

where have you been! :D <br /><br />Your content suggestions are first-class. I'm particularly happy to see that someone has found a Key to Sidgwick's Greek Prose. I have been searching for a key printed before 1923 for almost two years.<br /><br />I also have been looking for Veitch's Greek Verbs since it comes so highly recommended by Goodwin.<br /><br />Actually, I'm not near a college library so my access to books is somewhat limited. Almost all the books you see on Textkit I purchase. A few I have managed to borrow from libraries and a few more are sent in from Textkit volunteers.<br /><br />Ok, now on to your comment about scarce books. We are slowly moving in that direction and ultimately we would like Textkit to be a world class library for the serious classical language learner/student. So that is a goal. Just this week in fact we acquired Hicks and Hills 'Greek Historical Inscriptions' which will be useful for those interested in reading actual Greek writings found on monuments, pottery and so forth.<br /><br />But we do always keep the beginning learning in mind and beginners are our target audience. <br /><br />We gladly accept photocopied books. Our only requirement is that the book must be printed before 1923. Please Private Message me about any books in particular and I can provide more details.<br /><br />I would be very interested in the Sidgwick key!<br /><br />thanks again,<br /><br />jeff<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
Textkit Founder