Textkit Logo

Help with the reading matter on page 206

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.

Help with the reading matter on page 206

Postby Andrus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:12 am

Andrus
Textkit Member

Postby Andrus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Andrus
Textkit Member

Postby runicus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:22 am

"Saluta Publium nostrum amicissime et valetudinem tuam cura diligenter"

First of all,I hope you have already figured it out yourself,and being a novice in Latin myself,I would like to give my translation:"Greet to our Publius amicably and take good care of your well-being"this may seem a literal translation,but I think the idea is just expressed.

"saluta" and "cura" are just imperatives of "salutare" and "curare" respectively,as far as I understand them.

I am doing the reading matter these days,and now in the middle of Publius' story in Gaul. The story is interesting while I have to look up words from time to time in the Latin English Vocabulary,and not without parsing every sentence.

Fortunas tibi bonas

RVNICVS
phpbb
runicus
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Andrus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:43 pm

Thanks Runicus.

By your other posts I already saw that you are now working too on the reading matter of the book, although you are now ahead of me, as Publius just got a teacher where I’m reading.

Your posts with your doubts in the translations have been a good help for me when I reach the same texts.

Valē amīce

Andrus
Andrus
Textkit Member

Return to Latin For Beginners by D'Ooge