Discussion: Homeric Epithets and Lessons in Metre

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Discussion: Homeric Epithets and Lessons in Metre

Post by Elucubrator »

[size=18=12][u]αβστραξτ οφ τηε νεωσλεττερ αρτιξλε[/u][i]τηις αρτιξλε ωιλλ ιντροδυξε ψου το σομε οφ τηε οραλ ξομποσιτιον τεξηνιθυες υσεδ βψ τηε ανξιεντ γρεεκ βαρδς ιν τηε ξονστρυξτιον οφ ηομεριξ Vερσε. φιρστ ιτ εχαμινες τηε στρυξτυρε οφ τηε δαξτψλιξ ηεχαμετερ ανδ τηε ποιντς ωιτηιν ιτ ωηερε α μαιν ξαεσυρα μυστ βε πρεσεντ. τηεν ιτ λοοκς ατ ηοω τηε ρηαπσοδε υσες φορμυλαιξ νουν‐επιτηετ παιρς ωιτηιν τηις ρηψτηψμιξαλ στρυξτυρε το ασσιστ ηιμ ιν τηε φρεε οραλ ξομποσιτιον οφ επιξ vερσε. ιν ορδερ το ηελπ τηε ρεαδερ δεvελοπ α φεελ φορ τηε ρηψτηψμς ινηερεντ ιν τηε ηεχαμετερ ωιτη ωηιξη τηε βαρδ ωουλδ ωορκ, τηε αυτηορ πρεσεντς α σηορτ σεριες οφ οραλ εχερξισες βασεδ ον τηε ρηψτηψμς οφ επιξ vερσε φορμ. [/i]τηις βοαρδ ηας βεεν οπενεδ φορ δισξυσσιον οφ τηε αρτιξλε ιν τοδαψ’ς γρεεκ νεωσλεττερ. ψου μαψ αξξεσς τηε αρτιξλε ηερε·[b] Ηομεριξ Επιτηετσ ανδ Εασψ Λεσσονσ ιν Ηομεριξ Μετρεηττπ·//ωωω.τεχτκιτ.ξομ/τυτοριαλσ/20030515–ηομερ–01–παγἔ.πηπ[/b]

ASim
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Discussion: Homeric Epithets and Lessons in Metre

Post by ASim »

Sebastian, is there a way to download/print the entire article (e.g., as a .pdf file)? Or am I just failing to notice some special "print" button?<br /><br />Thanks, Ansgar.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'll add that feature in.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Thank you for this interesting article. Homer must be glad over there, [size=150]ἐν αἵδου.<br /><br />However, pace tua liceat dixisse, something seems a little confusing to me. It is about the spelling and place in the hexameter of [size=150]διογενὴς )οδυσσεύς.<br /><br />In Homer, we find [size=150]διογενὴς )οδυσεύς, with only one sigma, otherwise the upsilon would be long and the phrase wouldn't fit in with an hexameter.<br /><br />Moreover, we find the phrase at the very beginning of the verse (it is an hemistich of five half-feet) or in the feet II, III and the beginning of IV : BUM BUM [size=150]διογενὴς )οδυσεύς. I didn't see any passage where diogenh\j )Oduseu/s[/face][/size] begins at foot III.<br /><br />I think I missed something, although I enjoyed the article very much.<br /><br />... [size=150]ὃ δ’ ὄλβιος ὅν τινα μοῦσαιφιλῶνται· γλυκερή οἱ ἀπὸ στόματος ῥέει αὐδή<br /><br />"Happy is the man who the Muses love : from his mouth flows a sweet song." (Homeric Hymn to the Muses and Apollo)