Best Beginner's Greek Grammar ?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Best Beginner's Greek Grammar ?

Post by Episcopus »

Greetings Greek people!<br /><br />The only Greek word that I know is "episkopos" so naturally I would like to at least be able to decline him!<br /><br />I am a beginner. I have glanced at a few explanations regarding breathings, accents etc. and am astounded by its relative complexity. (latin has the letters with which I am familiar!) I don't really understand it; but then again I've only glanced at explanations. So even though I will be studying from the best beginner's Greek grammar here you people must promise to help the lost bishop :-\<br />The new alphabet does scare me. <br /><br />Anyhow, which is the best Greek grammar for beginners on textkit? And is this one relatively good when considering other Greek grammars that may be out there?<br /><br />Thankyou in advance :)<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re:Best Beginner's Greek Grammar ?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I believe that White's First Greek Book is Textkit's best beginner's book. It assumes no knowledge of Greek and it has plenty of exercises and reading passages to make things interesting. As a testament to the books popularity - it was in regular used for over 40 years in the U.S.<br /><br />Also, there are many here who are working through the book who can lend assistance.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

don't be afraid of the alphabet! it won't take long to get it down and then you will love it 1000 times more than the latin alphabet, if for no other reason than its aesthetic value.<br /><br />keesa's just starting out too so maybe you guys could help each other...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

jeff - this is the JWW book? I was attracted to that one also!<br /><br />(12mb?)<br /><br />klewlis, the alphabet looks nice I agree! ;D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

it's a personal favorite of mine. One is for sale on ebay right now too - only 10 bucks, a very attractive deal if the condition of the book is good.
Textkit Founder

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

totally agree with klewlis<br /><br /> No, Episkope, just don't be terrified by appearances (wait until you get to the verbs, and you'll swear at the moment you went for Greek! [grin!] )<br /><br /> Seriously, now, there's no reason to get weak on such an interesting matter like the Alphabet; I agree it's really worth all the effort and pain. Remember: "a good start means half of the work done". The best of luck!<br /><br /> I'm sure you'll do fine (better than me, at least, who have no Latin) I already look forward to your taking part soon in the Greek forums, and excelling. But will you be a Greek-Orthodox or a Greek-Catholic "bishop"?
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]