Athenians

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
bacon
Textkit Neophyte

Athenians

Post by bacon »

The discussion of city names in another topic has raised further questions for me.
Acts17:22: "men of Athens..." , "Ανδ?ες Αθηναιοι..."
Liddell: Αθηναι, ων, αι
I see that Αθηναι ends like a plural feminine nominative and from Liddell I would expect a plural genitive to be like Αθηναιων(?) or Αθηνων instead of Αθηναιοι(looks more like a masculine plural nominative) that appears in Acts. What's going on here?
If I wanted to write "Athenians" would I use "people of Athens", "λαος Αθηναιοι" or is there a Greek equivalent of just "Athenians"?
I tried to use Galatians 3:1 for help "you foolish Galatians...", but the use of Γαλαται was confusing and I could not find Galatians in Liddell.
Thanks for any help.

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

bacon wrote:Liddell: Αθηναι, ων, αι
I see that Αθηναι ends like a plural feminine nominative and from Liddell I would expect a plural genitive to be like Αθηναιων(?) or Αθηνων instead of Αθηναιοι(looks more like a masculine plural nominative) that appears in Acts. What's going on here?
If I wanted to write "Athenians" would I use "people of Athens", "λαος Αθηναιοι" or is there a Greek equivalent of just "Athenians"?
I tried to use Galatians 3:1 for help "you foolish Galatians...", but the use of Γαλαται was confusing and I could not find Galatians in Liddell.
Thanks for any help.
My guesses:
City name: Αι Αθήναι > των Αθηνών (no singular form)
Citizen of Athens: Ο Αθηναίος > οι Αθηναίοι>των Αθηναίων
Galatians: Ο Γαλάτης¨> οι Γαλάτες > των Γαλάτων

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Athenians

Post by Bert »

bacon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bacon »

Thanks to all responders, you've been very helpful. I missed the possibility that Αθηναιοι could be an adjective.