Help with the reading matter on page 206

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
Andrus
Textkit Member

Help with the reading matter on page 206

Post by Andrus »

Saluēte omnēs,

After 3 weeks without being able to give time to my Latin studies I managed to re started it. The result it is that now I have to go to the dictionary at every line to look for more then one word :cry:
At least the grammatical aspect doesn’t seem to have gotten much affect, or at least I hope so.
While working in the reading matter available after lesson LXIII, page 206 of pdf, I found two problems that I can’t work out as hard as I try and I hope someone can help me.

In the first line:

“Iam Pūblius decem ann?s habēbat cum M. Cornēlius Lentulus, pater eius, quī quīnque ann?s grave bellum in Asi? gerēbat, n?n sine gl?ri? domum revertēb?tur.?

My problem is with the “cum? as I can’t translate it as “with? but only to “when? or “and?. Also I can’t find any word in the ablative to connect to it. My translation it is:

“Already Pūblius was ten years old and M. Cornēlius Lentulus, his father, who was making war in Asia for five years, and not without glory, was returning home.?

And in the last line before the date:

“Salūt? nostrum Pūblium amīcissimē et valētūdinem tuam cūr? dīligenter.?

Here my problem is with last part as I can’t find any verb to put with it.

Nothing like to write our doubts to see the light, “cūr?? is the verb and not a noun as I was reading it.

Valēte omnēs.

Andrus

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Saluēte omnēs,

This forced rest of my Latin studies had in fact negative effects on my modest Latin skills.

After have being looking more time I found that “cum? can be an adverb meaning “when?. Now that phrase finally makes sense.

Valēte

Andrus

runicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by runicus »

"Saluta Publium nostrum amicissime et valetudinem tuam cura diligenter"

First of all,I hope you have already figured it out yourself,and being a novice in Latin myself,I would like to give my translation:"Greet to our Publius amicably and take good care of your well-being"this may seem a literal translation,but I think the idea is just expressed.

"saluta" and "cura" are just imperatives of "salutare" and "curare" respectively,as far as I understand them.

I am doing the reading matter these days,and now in the middle of Publius' story in Gaul. The story is interesting while I have to look up words from time to time in the Latin English Vocabulary,and not without parsing every sentence.

Fortunas tibi bonas

RVNICVS

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Thanks Runicus.

By your other posts I already saw that you are now working too on the reading matter of the book, although you are now ahead of me, as Publius just got a teacher where I’m reading.

Your posts with your doubts in the translations have been a good help for me when I reach the same texts.

Valē amīce

Andrus