Why Learning is Horrible

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Why Learning is Horrible

Post by Keesa »

I have come to the conclusion that the ability to learn and expand one's mind is a horrible, a dreadful, an awful thing! For example: <br /><br />About two weeks ago, I learned that Textkit existed. Since then, I have hogged, not only the computer, but the phone line also. <br /><br />Three days ago, I learned that there were many sites which would teach me Gaelic. Ever since then, whatever spare time I may have had has gone up in smoke as I find myself consumed with yet another course of study...<br /><br />Today, I learned how to do a book search on Amazon.com. In the last hour or so, I have found $376 worth of books that I long to buy and cannot afford. <br /><br />Learning is awful! <br /><br />Keesa <br /><br />(By the way...they did say that these debates didn't have to be serious, didn't they? ;)) <br /><br />Keesa

Zeus the Goddess
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Why Learning is Horrible

Post by Zeus the Goddess »

Money that would be better spent on donuts<br /><br />Time that would better be spent consuming donuts<br /><br />A phone line that could be better disconnected so that nobody could interfere with the joy of donuts<br /><br />Conclusion:<br />Learning is to fill up time that is void of donuts.

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Perhaps it is the centre of the donut that is the absolute nothing they are searching for in another thread.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

$376 of good books are not the same as $20 of 1 phenomenal book.<br /><br />Exist many Latin books of grammar; however that Dr. B.L.D will do more than suffice. <br /><br />Buy broadband. Regit.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=13;threadid=457;start=0#4331 date=1061219792]<br />$376 of good books are not the same as $20 of 1 phenomenal book.<br /><br />Exist many Latin books of grammar; however that Dr. B.L.D will do more than suffice. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I did not say that they were $376 of Latin grammars. They are $376 worth of books to read after finishing Latin Grammar (among others).

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Only $376? ;)<br /><br />Ingrid

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

The Internet booted me before I could continue my search. ;) Hehe-I've heard of artificial intelligence, but this is the first time my computer's been smarter than I am. :-\<br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

learning is a terrible thing for other reasons, too. the things is it's very frustrating, when you've learned something and then forget it again. lol, i wonder how much greek and lating i still know after 4 weeks of holiday? <br />i seem to have missed something in those 4 weeks with out internet, though. <br /><br />you for example :-)<br />Hi Keesa! :-)<br /><br />maybe you should do some searching about in you local 2nd hand book shops before buying books online.<br />i've found the most interesting books, though i still haven't be able to find a good greek - english dictionary 2nd hand (and i don't have the money to buy a new one). so i'll just have continue using the one in the library. <br />that's another thing you might want to check out: your local library, see what books they have.<br />then when you've saved up some money you can spend it, but won't have to do with out all those books in the meantime ;-).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

The only problem with that is that I don't have local secondhand bookstores (The nearest is 60 miles away, one way, or more) and I don't have a local library (28 miles away, one way.) Somehow my dinky little town decided on a strip mall and a fast food restaurant over a library. You can imagine that made me mad! The nearest new bookstore is also 28 miles away, in the same town as the library. (It's not even in my county!) :o <br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

argg! where do you live? alabama? didn't know alabama was that bad!<br />wow, well i should consider myself lucky then, i suppose. there are loads of important and big libraries in speyer, one of them my school's library, which has some of the most valuable books in the state in its keeping. there are about 20 book shops in walking distance of my school (anything more than half a km is not walking distance :-P ).<br />and speyer is considered to be a rural town!<br /><br />lol, now i understand why your parents choose to homeschool you. not much choice in the way of schools around where you live, then. and you said your local school was awful...<br /><br />hmm... doesn't sound like there's much in the way of part time jobs on offer either... <br />looks like you will just have to save up then, unless you know someone who wouldn't mind going halfs on you (some one being homeschooled maybe and has the same interests?), or you know a professor for classics. but as you live in the middle of nowhere... all i can suggest is moving somewhere a bit more ...umm... populated ;-).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=13;threadid=457;start=0#4930 date=1061902613]<br />argg! where do you live? alabama? didn't know alabama was that bad!<br />wow, well i should consider myself lucky then, i suppose. there are loads of important and big libraries in speyer, one of them my school's library, which has some of the most valuable books in the state in its keeping. there are about 20 book shops in walking distance of my school (anything more than half a km is not walking distance :-P ).<br />and speyer is considered to be a rural town!<br /><br />Oooh! I'm turning green...<br /><br />lol, now i understand why your parents choose to homeschool you. not much choice in the way of schools around where you live, then. and you said your local school was awful... <br /><br />Somewhat worse than awful, according to one of my sister's best friends, who teaches there. <br /><br />hmm... doesn't sound like there's much in the way of part time jobs on offer either... <br />looks like you will just have to save up then, unless you know someone who wouldn't mind going halfs on you (some one being homeschooled maybe and has the same interests?), or you know a professor for classics. but as you live in the middle of nowhere... all i can suggest is moving somewhere a bit more ...umm... populated ;-).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I don't really want to move somewhere more populated; I enjoy the isolation. The peace and quiet is good for my studies. (Horrible things-seriously! ;D) Getting the material to study...weeelll, that can be a little more tricky. ;D The Internet is not as economical as a used bookstore or a library would be :'(, but at least it's available. :D And, as far as working goes, the nice thing about writing is that you can do it anywhere...even in a town with a population of about 200...<br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

uhh...(speechless) a town of 200? lol, i don't live in speyer itself, but in a small village, which i consider to be tiny (pop. of 1000). i think we are just talking different scales here...<br /><br />i really want to move to london ... if i can't go to cambridge then i want to go to imperial college london (just as difficult to get into, but only grade wise, it's not where all the private school kids go).<br />but there's certainly no peace and quite there...<br /><br />i know what you mean, though. it's probably nice to live somewhere quite, where you can actually get some sleep and do your homework in peace. i normally have to do mine in a noisy cafe or the even noisier common room or library as i can't go home in the lunch brake or after school (because i live so far away from speyer, 10 min. drive with the car. lol... but i think we are talking on different scales again... :-P )

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

a ten minute drive is nothing, and really neither is 60miles to find a used bookstore... it's not as though you have to do that every day in order to reap the benefits. :) <br /><br />here in canada all of the towns are so spread out because we have so much space that you can often drive hours without seeing anything more than a gas station... it's perfectly normal to drive an hour or two to the next city to get something you need... unless you live IN one of the major cities, but then you are driving half an hour to get anywhere anyway :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=klewlis link=board=6;threadid=457;start=0#4969 date=1061927566]<br />a ten minute drive is nothing, and really neither is 60miles to find a used bookstore... it's not as though you have to do that every day in order to reap the benefits. :) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, it would be different if I knew I would find a used bookstore there, but I don't...it's just that Birmingham, 60 miles away, is the closest place I can think of that might have one. I don't know if it does, or where it would be found, if it did. And 60 miles one way is a lot of gas to buy...<br /><br />Back on the topic, I don't really think learning is horrible, of course, or I wouldn't do so much of it. On a completely serious note, however, there are certain-inconveniences-that I could do without. ;D<br /><br />Keesa

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I totally agree with klewlis, a 60 mile drive (which would take about an hour or less on a Canadian highway) would not be a big deterrent here. Although if its a matter of transportation not distance (if you dont drive yourself Keesa) then I understand. You must have public transportation of some kind though?!? Gotta make a pro/con list<br />Pro: acquire books to further intellectual development and enjoyment ;D<br />Con: takes money :o and time and a willing driver >:(<br /><br />You might want to try out www.halfpricebooks.com several friends of mine in the U.S. have tried it and really enjoyed its cheap(er) selection.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

oh, i always just look stuff up before going... we have online phone directories (do you have those?) so i could look up a business in nearly any town i like...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=457;start=0#4983 date=1061933777]<br />I totally agree with klewlis, a 60 mile drive (which would take about an hour or less on a Canadian highway) would not be a big deterrent here. Although if its a matter of transportation not distance (if you dont drive yourself Keesa) then I understand. You must have public transportation of some kind though?!? Gotta make a pro/con list<br />Pro: acquire books to further intellectual development and enjoyment ;D<br />Con: takes money :o and time and a willing driver >:(<br /><br />You might want to try out www.halfpricebooks.com several friends of mine in the U.S. have tried it and really enjoyed its cheap(er) selection.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />No money, no time, and no willing driver...I don't drive myself (I can't get a driver's liscence until after I learn if I passed the GED or not-a week and a half or less!) and my mother hates going to Birmingham. Sixty miles is a two hour drive for us, on account of our vehicle being old. And no, there is no public transportation. :'( >:( <br /><br />The online phone directory is a good idea...I don't know if we have them, but I shall definitely look! <br /><br />Another plus is that the undergraduate college I plan to attend next year is right in Birmingham-YAY! I can hardly wait! <br /><br />Keesa

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

lol, that's what i meant. if you do live in Canada or the US, then you think on a different scale (time and distance wise). <br /><br />here in europe a 60 mile drive is like really reallly long. because towns and cities are so close together... it would take me an hours car drive to get to frankfurt. that's way too long, so i never ever go to frankfurt.<br />10 min. is ages here, people say i live in the middle of nowhere :-P! and it is quite a problem for me living so far away from school. i don't have a car (as i'm not 18, yet) and it's too far to cycle (17 km i think). so i'm stuck in town when everyone else can go home (everyone: ppl who live in south, east or west speyer :-P ).<br /><br />