translation help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
badkittywhipme
Textkit Neophyte

translation help

Post by badkittywhipme »

can any tell me if the following is latin and if it is whatr it means and were can i translate. any help will be a blessing thank you. Infirmas cvrate mortvos suscitate leprosos mvndate daemones elicite gratis accepistis gratis date again thank you

mr_528
Textkit Neophyte

Re: translation help

Post by mr_528 »

The translation.<br /><br />you ask for:<br /><br />"Infirmas cvrate mortvos suscitate leprosos mvndate daemones elicite gratis accepistis gratis date"<br /><br />First translation:<br /><br />"Infirmas curate mortuos suscitate leprosos mundate daemones elicite gratis accepistis gratis date"<br /><br />I found this (very, very similar):<br /><br />"Infirmas curate, mortuos suscitate, leprosos mundate, daemones ejicite; gratis accepistis, gratis date"<br /><br />The translation is:<br /><br />"Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils; freely you have received, freely give"<br /><br />The first phrase it in very old latin, and it's a latin proverb. U can find others at: http://home.planet.nl/~steetskamp.en.va ... bs.html<br /><br />See ya!

Gustix
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gustix »

Hello,

I may be mistaken, but I think this phrase is a quote from Vulgata (Matthew 10,8) and not a latin proverb...

Gustix