How similar is Ancient Greek grammar to Classical Latin Gram

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

How similar is Ancient Greek grammar to Classical Latin Gram

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Before I delve into Greek, I think it a mark of sagacity to inquire as to whether Ancient Greek grammar is similar to that of Classical Latin. <br /><br />A propósito, I saw a thread about the periphrastic! Mine old nemesis! (just joking)<br /><br /> ;)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:How similar is Ancient Greek grammar to Classical Latin G

Post by klewlis »

I'm no linguist, but it seems to me that they are quite similar... at least if you compare either to english and then to each other... the sentence structures are very similar, as are the systems of morphology. I was impressed when I first started learning latin because I felt that the grammar was like Greek and the vocab was like English, so I just had to mix up the two ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Thanks for the help. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Well, compared to English or modern Romance languages they will seem similar: noun declensions, verb conjugations galore, tricky mood changes in subordinate clauses.<br /><br />From a historical linguistic standpoint, it's not clear how the Greek and Latin verb systems could be any more different. :) But I'd say if you can handle Latin then you can handle Greek... just expect surprises regularly. Nothing overwhelming, but there will certainly be differences to keep in mind.<br /><br />--<br />wm
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Thank you again. :)

PhilipYim
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PhilipYim »

8)<br /><br />Some similiarities can be seen:<br />E.g. the case of the noun, but the ablative case has a different form compared to the genitive case which is the same in Greek. (In Greek, the Genitive has the same form with ablative, so the modern grammarians use only five cases for Greek, absorbing the ablative into Genitives.)<br /><br />Besides, the ablative case in Latin will also include the instrumental, and locative meaning. But in Greek they are different cases which have the same form with Dative (not genitive!). <br /><br />For number of Declensions of nouns: Latin :5; Greek: 3.<br /><br />This is just a short response.<br />I plan to list more in the future. I will post them in my site later.<br />