Questions from Lesson I to Lesson IX.

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
bizzaroSquirrel
Textkit Neophyte

Questions from Lesson I to Lesson IX.

Post by bizzaroSquirrel »

Hi guys,

After a few failed attempts using Wheelocks, I downloaded D'Ooge and I'm finding Latin much easier (I'll use wheelocks for my backup book), however there are a few things that have stumped me over the excercises.

First up, wtf does § stand for? Paragraph, line, point?

Ok, the real questions (the page number refers to the LFB page, not the PDF page).

§39, page 19

11. Nautae victoriam Galba nuntiat.
My translation: Galba is announcing the victory to the sailors.
Key: Galba is announcing the sailor’s victory.

Hmm, didn’t notice this before, but is nautae in genitive and not dative because its before victoriam, the direct object?

§62, page 26

I 2. Bona filia agricolae cenam parat.
My translation: The food daughter prepares the farmer’s dinner, or, dinner for the farmer.
Key: The farmer’s good daughter prepares dinner.

Yeah I know, 2 strikes. Now I think the first part is incorrect because of the placement of agricolae after filia? But why couldn’t it also be in the dative? It’s placed before the direct object....

§62, page 26

I 3. Cena est grata agricolae et agricola bonam filiam laudat.
My translation: Dinner is pleasing to the farmer and the farmer praises the good daughter.
Key: It’s the same, but “his good daughter?.

Where does “his? come from? Is there something specific in the latin or is it just that this is more logical when translated to English? :D

The problems in the next two sentences are similar.
§62, page 27
II 4. (His) daughter is getting a good dinner for the farmer.
My translation: Filia agricolae cenam bonam parat.
Key: Same, but cenam and bonam have switched positions.

Doesn’t the adjective follow the noun??

§62, page 27
II 6. The farmer praises the good dinner..
My translation: Agricolae cenam bonam laudat.
Key: cenam and bonam switched positions.

Same thing.

I’m up to the 2nd declension so I thought I'd sort all these out incase i start learning something the wrong way...

Holy crap that was a long post, thanks a heap if anyone can help.

Well, onto the second declension... 8) heh
James

Celtica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Celtica »

I seem to be working one lesson behind you at the moment, and my main problem is with ordering of words, according to the key. I sometimes switch 2 words around. Seems to be a common mistake when in the early stages of learning Latin.

On 62, page 26, IIRC it was explained somewhere earlier on...I think it mentioned the page # it was explained on in a note. Double check the text. It's so easy to miss something. I usually reread the lesson several times before attempting the exercises.

Andrus
Textkit Member

Post by Andrus »

Last edited by Andrus on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzaroSquirrel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bizzaroSquirrel »

fierywrath
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Questions from Lesson I to Lesson IX.

Post by fierywrath »

bizzaroSquirrel wrote:First up, wtf does § stand for? Paragraph, line, point?
SECTION, DUH!

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi James et al.

First of all: the key is the work of students, like yourself. It is by no means perfect, and if your answer is different from the key, it is recommended that you go back to the Latin, and see which is wrong, or if both answers could be right (or wrong :) ). Often, with single sentences without context, different readings are possible.

If you're in doubt, ask your question here.

As to word order: Latin is rather free, and if your answer switches two words around as compared to the key, it's fine. No difference in meaning, perhaps in emphasis,as Andrus points out.

Good luck with your studies,
Ingrid