Textkit Logo

Matthew Arnold - Best Translation Poll

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Matthew Arnold - Best Translation Poll

Postby Elucubrator » Wed May 21, 2003 6:21 pm

[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]The following passage is from Homer's Iliad, Book III, lines 234 - 244. If you are not yet advanced enough to read the Greek you may still vote on which of the translations below strikes you as the most beautiful.[/face][/size]<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]<br /> "nu=n d' a1llouj me\n pa/ntaj o9rw= e9li/kwpaj 'Axaiou/j,<br /> ou3j ken e0u6 gnoi/hn kai/ t' ou1noma muqhsai/mhn:<br /> doiw\ d' ou0 du/namai i0de/ein kosmh/tore law=n,<br /> Ka/stora/ q' i9ppo/damon kai\ pu\c a0gaqo\n Poludeu/kea,<br /> au0tokasignh/tw, tw/ moi mi/a gei/nato mh/thr.<br /> h2 ou0x e9spe/sqhn Lakedai/monoj e0c e0rateinh=j,<br /> h2 deu/rw me\n e3ponto ne/ess' e1ni pontopo/roisi,<br /> nu=n au]t' ou0k e0qe/lousi ma/xhn katadu/menai a0ndrw=n,<br /> ai1sxea deidio/tej kai\ o0nei/dea po/ll' a3 moi/ e0stin."<br /> 4Wj fa/to, tou\j d' h1dh ka/texen fusi/zooj ai]a<br /> e0n Lakedai/moni au]qi, fi/lh| e0n patri/di gai/h|.<br /><br />[/face]<br /><br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]TRANSLATIONS<br /><br /><br /> (1) Richie (2) Alex (3) Tom (4)Bob (5) Sam<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />(1) "And I see them<br /> all now, all the rest of the glancing-eyed Achaians<br /> all whom I would know well by sight, whose names I could tell you,<br /> yet nowhere can I see those two, the marshals of the people,<br /> Kastor, breaker of horses, and the strong boxer, Polydeukes,<br /> my own brothers, born with me of a single mother.<br /> Perhaps these came not with the rest from Lakedaimon the lovely,<br /> or else they did come here in their sea-wandering ships, yet<br /> now they are reluctant to go with the men into battle<br /> dreading the words of shame and all the reproach that is on me."<br /> So she spoke, but the teeming earth lay already upon them<br /> away in Lakedaimon, the beloved land of their fathers.<br /><br /><br /><br />(2) The rest I know, and could in order name;<br /> All valiant chiefs, and men of mighty fame.<br /> Yet two are wanting of the numerous train,<br /> Whom long my eyes have sought, but sought in vain:<br /> Castor and Pollux, first in martial force,<br /> One bold on foot, and one renown'd for horse.<br /> My brothers these; the same our native shore,<br /> One house contain'd us, as one mother bore.<br /> Perhaps the chiefs, from warlike toils at ease,<br /> For distant Troy refused to sail the seas;<br /> Perhaps their swords some nobler quarrel draws,<br /> Ashamed to combat in their sister's cause."<br /> So spoke the fair, nor knew her brothers' doom;<br /> Wrapt in the cold embraces of the tomb;<br /> Adorn'd with honors in their native shore,<br /> Silent they slept, and heard of wars no more.<br /><br /><br /><br />(3) Clearly the rest I behold of the dark-ey'd sons of Achaia;<br /> Known to me well are the faces of all; their names I remember;<br /> Two, two only remain, whom I see not among the commanders,<br /> Kastor, fleet in the car--Polydeuces, brave with the cestus--<br /> Own dear brethren of mine--one parent loved us as infants.<br /> Are they not here in the host, from the shores of lov'd Lakedaimon?<br /> Or, tho' they came with the rest of the ships that bound thro' the waters,<br /> Dare they not enter the fight or star in the council of Heroes,<br /> All for the fear of the shame and the taunts my crime has awaken'd?<br />    So said she;--they long since in Earth's soft arms were reposing,<br /> There, in their own dear land, their Father-land, Lakedaimon.<br /> <br /><br /><br />(4) And now I see them all, the fiery-eyd Achaeans,<br /> I know them all by heart, and I could tell their names...<br /> but two I cannot find, and they're captains of the armies,<br /> Castor breaker of horses and the hardy boxer Polydeuces.<br /> My blood brothers. Mother bore them both. Perhaps<br /> they never crossed over from Lacedaemon's lovely hills<br /> or come they did, sailing here in the deep-sea ships,<br /> but now they refuse to join the men in battle,<br /> dreading the scorn, the curses hurled at me..."<br /> <br /> So she wavered, but the earth already held them fast,<br /> long dead in the life-giving earth of Lacedaemon,<br /> the dear land of their fathers.<br /><br /><br /><br />(5) I see, moreover, many other Achaeans whose names I<br />could tell you, but there are two whom I can nowhere find, Castor,<br />breaker of horses, and Pollux the mighty boxer; they are children<br />of my mother, and own brothers to myself. Either they have not left<br />Lacedaemon, or else, though they have brought their ships, they will<br />not show themselves in battle for the shame and disgrace that I have<br />brought upon them." <br /><br />She knew not that both these heroes were already lying under the earth<br />in their own land of Lacedaemon.[/face][/size]
Elucubrator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GlottalGreekGeek » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:40 am

No Georgie? (Though I would prefer Richie anyway)
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek