predicate nominative?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
bacon
Textkit Neophyte

predicate nominative?

Post by bacon »

Jn 1:14 και ο λογος σα?ξ εγενετο...
I would have thought that σα?ξ would be in the accusative case, σα?κα. Is this because the verb γινομαι takes a predicate nominative(pn)? Assuming the answer is yes... Is this because one of the meanings of γινομαι is "I am"? What other verbs besides ειμι take a pn and does a lexicon indicate if a verb does so? If a verb takes a pn in one tense will it do so in all tenses?
Thanks.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Yes. gi/nomai takes a pn. Verbs that take a pn are mostly linking verbs. These verbs don't indicate any action toward an object but link the subject with another substantive that tells you some more about the subject.
They CAN take a pn in any tense but that does not mean that always do.
gi/nomai can be followed by dative or genitive. u(pa/rxw can take and genitive or accusative. At least some lexicons will tell you. Middle Liddell tells you when it takes a pn or when it takes another case.
The passive voice of kale/w can also take a pn.

bacon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bacon »

Thanks, Bert
By the way, what is "Middle Liddell"? I have Liddell and Scott abridged.