Doce me pro gratia

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Doce me pro gratia

Post by bfeylia »

Salve Amici! Discipulus linguae latinae sum, et bene illam linguam discere volo. Sed, non scio optimum modum discentis. Speo ut, fortasse, aliquis hoc optimum modum laborantis sciat, atque admonere me possit.<br />Anyway, if you guys have any advice for how to study Latin and Greek in the most effective way possible, I would love to hear your advice. Thank you!!!<br />Et memora: "Etiam si vita plena malorum est, spem semper habemus!"<br /><br />Spe,<br />Paul

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Doce me pro gratia

Post by Keesa »

Regularly. Every day, if possible. Study with a clear head and an open heart, if you can. I"m sure I'll have lots more advice once I've actually learned Latin and Greek, but for now, that's all I can say. (And I couldn't pick up on the Latin yet, which is why I didn't answer it. ;D) <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

uh yeah Keesa and make sure you know the dative ;) <br /><br />is vir doctus est! Cur magistris/libris eges?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=490;start=0#4190 date=1061119585]<br />uh yeah Keesa and make sure you know the dative ;) <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Just you wait until I've studied as long as you have! <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=490;start=0#4194 date=1061120957]<br /><br /><br />Just you wait until I've studied as long as you have! <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I won't have to wait too long ;) <br /><br />Plus I will notify you in a month that you suck if you still don't know the dative ;)<br /><br />Only joking it's cleared up now right?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

In a month, I assure you, I will have the dative down pat. (And have a whole host of new problems to worry about, most likely. ;D) <br /><br />And yes, it's all in fun. <br /><br />Keesa

adz000
Textkit Member

Post by adz000 »

Lumen_et_umbra started a post asking a similar question some days back that may provide some info, or at least what books you may want, called "Advanced Latin". <br /><br />Best luck!

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

Thank you! I investigated the post and am acting accordingly.<br />:-)<br /><br />Ago gratias tibi.<br />Paul

stevenius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by stevenius »

"If life is also filled with calamity,we always have hope" is that close to the mark ? Ive been learning latin for a week during my summer break. I think the best way is to plunge in at the deep end and start translating a book. You have to whizz back and forth through your grammar and dictionary at first but i find the knowledege "sticks" better when used in practical application.Just a question,how can you tell that spes is a third declension noun ? I looked it up in the dictionary and spei as the genetive. I thought "i" in the genitive defined the second declension ?

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

>Just a question,how can you tell that spes is a third >declension noun ? I looked it up in the dictionary and spei as >the genetive. I thought "i" in the genitive defined the second >declension ?<br />Actually Stevenius, you are correct that "i" can signify the 2nd dec. genitive. However, it can also indicate the 5th declension, as here with spem (spes). The best way to determine which is which, is to look for the persistent long "e" which signifies a 5th decl, while all 2nd decl nouns/adjs lack. And of course, after the genitive, the 2nd and 5th declensions differ in the dative, acc and ablative case, as well as throughout the plural.<br /><br />I appreciate your advice, and I'm inclined to agree with you; tackling the language in regular books from the ancient authors is probably as close as we here, in the not quite living languages dept, can hope to get to immersion. ;-)<br /><br />Thank you sir!<br />-Paul