Textkit Logo

Guard(s) & Garrison

Are you learning Ancient Greek with White's First Greek Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.

Guard(s) & Garrison

Postby kalowski » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:44 pm

Strange singular/plural word this one I think.

[face=SPIonic]fulakh/[/face] is translated as guard (sing.) or garrison. Now garrison suggests a collection of soldiers or guards to me. So is there any problem with translating Guards as [face=SPIonic]fulakh/[/face]
or
[face=SPIonic]fulakai/[/face] ?

I ask this because, during Paragraph 74 of White I translated

You led the guards from the houses to the sea as

[face=SPIonic]e)k tw~n oi)kiw~n e)pi\ th\n qa/lattan h]gej ta8/j fulaka8j.<br />[/face]

whilst Koala, on another thread, translates it as

[face=SPIonic]e)k tw~n oi)kiw~n ei)j th\n qa/lattan h]gej th\n fulakh/n.<br />[/face]

Is there a common convention?

Thanks?

Secondly, is there a specific reason for choosing [face=SPIonic]ei)j[/face] over [face=SPIonic]e)pi\[/face]
phpbb
kalowski
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Guard(s) & Garrison

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:51 pm

kalowski wrote:Secondly, is there a specific reason for choosing [face=SPIonic]ei)j[/face] over [face=SPIonic]e)pi\[/face]

With either preposition the accusative case designates the goal of the activity. Xenophon routinely renders phrases like "marching/going to the X" using [face=SPIonic]e)pi/[/face] with "the X" in the accusative. This is the better construction because [face=SPIonic]ei)j[/face] with the accusative can also mean "into" giving here the possible meaning "into the sea" (cf. use of [face=SPIonic]ei)j[/face] in book of Exodus).

[face=SPIonic]e)pi/[/face] with the dative case would mean "upon the sea", as in "by the sea".

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby kalowski » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:53 pm

Thanks, Paul. I knew Xenophon and I had something in common.
phpbb
kalowski
Textkit Neophyte

Return to First Greek Book - White