Profile Language Pack

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mariek
Global Moderator

Profile Language Pack

Post by mariek »

<br />There's a little section near the bottom of Profile editing called "Language Pack You Wish to Use". Does anyone know what it means? Is there any difference viewing this website when you choose Dutch, German or Finish? Why aren't other languages offered as options?<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Profile Language Pack

Post by Keesa »

I have no clue...I wondered about this as well. <br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Guten tag! <br /><br />Okay, I think I've figured it out; I got really brave and changed my language pack to German. (Simply because I knew even less Dutch and Finnish than German. ;D) <br /><br />On my screen, it has now changed everything that wasn't typed in to German. For example, your post still shows up in English. However, the "post" button, for example, shows up as "Eintrag" rather than "Post" (it's a good thing I've posted often enough to know what that button is for! ;D) The date shows up as "Datum/Zeit: Heute um 10:21:57pm", etc. I noticed, however, that only the important things changed...the necessary things. Now...I hope I can find my way back to change this back to English! <br /><br />If you've ever walked around in a room in the dark, especially a room you're familiar with, you'll know exactly how I feel right now-everything is familiar, but nothing is visible. ::) Okay, let's see if I can get back...<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Whew! I'm back...I never loved English so much! ;D<br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=432;start=0#3422 date=1060569081]<br />On my screen, it has now changed everything that wasn't typed in to German. [/quote]<br /><br />Thanks for being so brave. I'm glad I didn't do that, I would never find my way back to changing it back to English! <br /><br />OK, now I wonder... why isn't this offered in French? Italian? Spanish? It would be really cool in French, I could go for that language. ;D<br />

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Why Dutch? Are there so many native speakers around?<br /><br />Ptolemaios

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

There should be an option for Latin and Greek! >:(
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=432;start=0#3468 date=1060589901]<br />There should be an option for Latin and Greek! >:(<br />[/quote]<br />Now that's a wonderful idea! <br /><br />Speaking of language packs... anyone have Latin or Greek language packs installed for the Microsoft Office Suite? Does such an animal exist?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I have Latin skins for WinAmp, but I can't figure out how to install them :-\
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

About the closest I can come to changing my computer's language is changing the spell-check on Microsoft Word, and I don't think they offer either Latin or Ancient Greek. I can also play Civilization II in French, which is really neat. (It became even neater after I learned enough French to figure out what I was telling the game to do! ;D) I understand that there is a place in my computer (my mom's computer, actually! ;D) where I can change it so that everything in Windows is French, but I again, I don't think Bill Gates does Latin or Ancient Greek. <br /><br />Keesa

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

You can get modern Greek though not ancient - but, then again, it's not as though ancient Greek has computer technical terms!<br /><br />Mind you... a friend of a friend works in the Vatican's translation department, and it seems that, there, they speak Latin because it's the only language all the translators have in common! I'd rather like to know how they say things like 'fax machine' and 'sellotape'...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Maybe they make up terms as they go! <br /><br />Keesa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

They've recently published a new version of their modern day latin dictionary (lexicon latinitatis recentis or something like that???). Bit expensive though. I'll see if I can dig up the website later today.<br /><br />Ingrid

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

@Ptolemaeos, Yes, I am a native Dutch speaker, why?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Google does both latin and greek.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

ASim
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ASim »

[quote author=Moerus link=board=6;threadid=432;start=0#3996 date=1060973765]<br />@Ptolemaeos, Yes, I am a native Dutch speaker, why? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I switched to Dutch, it's rather lovely and can be interpolated from German and English. I also added a picture (hope it works), which doesn't represent me in the least, but a Swiss guy, Adolf Kaegi, former professor of Comparative Linguistics (with a focus on Greek) in Zurich. It's a somewhat funny feature, since apparently no one seems to use his or her own.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Just for fun I changed mine to Dutch.<br />I noticed that in the "change profile" section, in the first line, it should read -behalve- instead of -zonder-. (Jeff ??)<br />Zonder means without, behalve means except.<br />(Unless these words are interchangable in some parts of the country, [Holland has many different local language uses] but I don't think so).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=ASim link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4099 date=1061043008]<br /> I also added a picture (hope it works), which doesn't represent me in the least, but a Swiss guy, Adolf Kaegi, former professor of Comparative Linguistics (with a focus on Greek) in Zurich. It's a somewhat funny feature, since apparently no one seems to use his or her own.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Perhaps we enjoy the idea of being represented by someone who looks nothing like ourselves. I wouldn't know how to put a picture of myself on, anyway...I can't even figure out how to put on a picture of someone else! :P<br /><br />Keesa

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

[quote author=ASim link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4099 date=1061043008]<br /> It's a somewhat funny feature, since apparently no one seems to use his or her own.<br />[/quote]<br />Klewlis comes close. I think they are her feet.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

They're nice feet. <br /><br />How would you go about putting a picture up? I know you're supposed to type in a web address, but how exactly does that work? Hmm...I may have to experiment with this. <br /><br />Keesa

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4127 date=1061075570]<br />Just for fun I changed mine to Dutch.<br />I noticed that in the "change profile" section, in the first line, it should read -behalve- instead of -zonder-. (Jeff ??)<br />Zonder means without, behalve means except.<br />(Unless these words are interchangable in some parts of the country, [Holland has many different local language uses] but I don't think so).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hmm, I tried the Dutch Language pack, but I had to switch back to the English version to understand what was meant :). 'zonder de nodige onderdelen' should be changed to 'm.u.v de verplichte onderdelen'. It's really gibberish as it stands now. (m.u.v. = met uitzondering van = excepting)<br /><br />Ingrid, Dutch native speaker

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4193 date=1061120677]<br />They're nice feet. <br /><br />How would you go about putting a picture up? I know you're supposed to type in a web address, but how exactly does that work? Hmm...I may have to experiment with this. <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />thanks! yes, those are my own feet. <br />You have to have the picture posted online somewhere... and then link directly to the address. If you don't have your own website then you can get free storage space from a number of sites and do it that way... um... i believe 20m.com is the last decent place i saw for that.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

[quote author=ingrid70 link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4218 date=1061135630]<br />[quote author=Bert de Haan link=board=6;threadid=432;start=15#4127 date=1061075570]<br />Just for fun I changed mine to Dutch.<br />I noticed that in the "change profile" section, in the first line, it should read -behalve- instead of -zonder-. (Jeff ??)<br />Zonder means without, behalve means except.<br />(Unless these words are interchangable in some parts of the country, [Holland has many different local language uses] but I don't think so).<br />[/quote]<br /><br />(Ingrid)<br />Hmm, I tried the Dutch Language pack, but I had to switch back to the English version to understand what was meant :). 'zonder de nodige onderdelen' should be changed to 'm.u.v de verplichte onderdelen'. It's really gibberish as it stands now. (m.u.v. = met uitzondering van = excepting)<br /><br />Ingrid, Dutch native speaker<br />[/quote]<br />Your right! Nodige should be changed to verplichte. (But not in short form I'd have to look at the English version to see what is meant . ;))<br />