C. Plinius

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
elduce
Textkit Member

C. Plinius

Post by elduce »

I am unsure of my translation for L.I. 37, C. Plinius Caninio Suo S.:

Nam lacus piscem, feras silvae quibus lacus cingitur, studia altissimus iste secessus adfatim suggerunt.

For the lake that highest retreat [and] your pursuits afford the fish, wild animals of the forest by which the lake is surrounded.

The problem I had was with the verb suggere. Did Plinius contract the verb's perfect form from suggesserunt to suggerunt? The use of the plural was confusing since the subject seems to be lacus, singular. Confusing as well was that he separates 'lacus' from 'altissimus iste secessus' and implies 'est.'

Gratias
ego amo megaforce

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: C. Plinius

Post by amans »

elduce wrote:I am unsure of my translation for L.I. 37, C. Plinius Caninio Suo S.:

Nam lacus piscem, feras silvae quibus lacus cingitur, studia altissimus iste secessus adfatim suggerunt.

For the lake that highest retreat [and] your pursuits afford the fish, wild animals of the forest by which the lake is surrounded.

The problem I had was with the verb suggere. Did Plinius contract the verb's perfect form from suggesserunt to suggerunt? The use of the plural was confusing since the subject seems to be lacus, singular. Confusing as well was that he separates 'lacus' from 'altissimus iste secessus' and implies 'est.'

Gratias
lacus, silvae and and altissimus iste successus are all subjects of suggerunt: suggerunt is a plain present indicative, but plural as it has several subjects. So these things offer something. What? the lacus offers piscem, the silvae offer feras and altissimus iste successus offers studia.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

one of the problems seems to be that you have analyzed suggerunt as sugg-erunt when it is in fact sugger-unt.
Last edited by benissimus on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

it's the good ole gero, gessi, gestum, prefixed by sub-

elduce
Textkit Member

Post by elduce »

Vae mihi. I slipped up on that one. I was impatient in translating and so reaped an error. Thanks both.
ego amo megaforce