IE-Linguistics Question - spurious diphthongs

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Elucubrator
Global Moderator

IE-Linguistics Question - spurious diphthongs

Post by Elucubrator »

I hope that everyone realises (but I know you do not) that what most textbooks call the Greek diphthong [size=150] ει is in truth rarely a real diphthong (i.e. meant to be pronounced as -ey- in English "hey"). Most of the time the two letter are a digraph, a combination of two letters used to represent a single sound. In English an example of a digraph is the pair "ch" which represents only one sound (e.g. "church"). <br /><br /> In Greek, the digraph [size=150] ει represents a long "epsilon", that is, the sound of an epsilon when it is held in pronunciation for the same amount of time as a long vowel, without admitting any i-sound at all (this is not the same quality of sound as the letter [size=150] η ). To pronounce the [size=150] ει digraph correctly you must not allow your tongue to move at all while you are pronouncing "eeehhh". Hold it in place to keep from allowing the digraph to become a diphthong.<br /><br /> At this point most people will want to know how you can tell when [size=150] ει is a diphthong, and when it is'nt, since in print they look exactly the same, and indeed you can not tell by looking at the word, but it may be determined by analysing the morphology of words. It is less often a diphthong than it is a digraph, and if we can learn to spot the places where it is a diphthong, it would be better to assume that everywhere else it is the digraph. <br /><br /> These digraphs are sometimes called spurious diphthongs, which means they look like a diphthong but really aren't. Such an one is the present infinitive active ending [size=150] ‐ειν . In this verb form the ending is produced by a contraction of two epsilons, namely, the thematic vowel of the conjugation plus the infinitive ending, viz. [size=150] ε +[size=150] ‐εν =[size=150] ‐ειν . There was never an iota sound to begin with, and neither is there once the vowels have contracted.<br /><br /> One example where the diphthong is real is the[size=150] ει in the verb[size=150] πείθω which is accordingly pronounced "peyt-haaw" ("aw" as in English "saw"). The endings of the aorist optative passive are also real diphthongs, as are some of the optatives in the conjugations of the contract verbs. It's good to keep these points in mind.<br /><br /> What I would like to find if anybody knows of the existence of such a thing, is a list of words where [size=150] ει is in fact a diphthong. If it is something that has never been put together, I was wondering whether we might not keep a growing list in this thread as we discover them. Can anyone help with this? <br /><br />Sebastian<br /><br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:IE-Linguistics Question - spurious diphthongs

Post by annis »

[quote author=Elucubrator link=board=2;threadid=99;start=0#411 date=1052353299]<br /> What I would like to find if anybody knows of the existence of such a thing, is a list of words where [size=150] ει is a diphthong. If it is something that has never been put together I was wondering whether we might not keep a growing list in this thread as we discover them. Can anyone help with this? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I've never heard of such a list.<br /><br />Why do you want this list, apart from historical interest? I believe Greek for most of the period people are interested in (i.e., Classical and beyond), the pronunciation of the true and the spurious diphthongs fell together (in the 300s?), resulting in the orthography we have today.<br /><br />I think it'd take a serious dose of research to verify this for each occurance of ou kai\ ei. Where would you start on the ou), ou)k, ou)x family? We'd have to check Attic inscriptional evidence. I suspect there'll be plenty of words where we can't know. Ablaut variation with oi seems a good sign of a true diphthong.<br /><br />[size=150]εὐτύχετε
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Post by Elucubrator »

[size=18=12]ηι ωιλλιαμ, ι ωαντ το κνοω βεξαυσε ι ωαντ το κνοω ηοω τηε ανξιεντ γρεεκ λανγυαγε σουνδεδ ας μυξη ας ποσσιβλε, ας μυξη ας ωε ξαν δετερμινε, ιν τηε διφφερεντ περιοδς ανδ διαλεξτς. ω. σιδνεψ αλλεν ηας δονε αν εχξελλεντ σοβ ιν ηις βοοκ [u]Vοχ γραεξα[/u] ανδ ηε ινξλυδες α ξηαρτ τηατ ινδιξατες τηε ξηανγες ιν προνυνξιατιον οφ τηε vοωελς τηρουγη τιμε, βυτ τηε ματτερ οφ τηε σπυριους ανδ γενυινε διπητηονγς ις σομετηινγ ι ξαν’τ φινδ μυξη ινφορματιον ον. ι ηαvε ρεαδ τηις παρτ ιν σιηλερ ανδ ιν αλλεν’ς [u]Vοχ γραεξα[/u] βυτ φρομ νειτηερ αμ ι αβλε το δετερμινε ωηερε τηε ξηανγες τακε πλαξε. ι τηινκ ι διδ ρεαδ τηατ εvεντυαλλψ τηε προνυνξιατιον οφ τηε σπυριους διπητηονγ ανδ τηε διγραπη φορ λονγ επσιλον φελλ τογετηερ, βυτ τηε ορτηογραπηψ φορ βοτη ηαδ αλωαψς βεεν τηε σαμε· ει.ι τηινκ ιτ ωας ρατηερ τηε φαξτ τηατ τηε ορτηογραπηψ λοοκεδ τηε σαμε τηατ εvεντυαλλψ ξαυσεδ προνυνξιατιον οφ τηε τωο το αππροχιματε ονε ανοτηερ ανδ εvεντυαλλψ ενδ ιν τηε σαμε σουνδ, ρατηερ τηαν τηατ τηε σουνδς ηαvινγ ξομε το βε τηε σαμε, ωερε συβσεθυεντλψ ωριττεν ιν τηε σαμε μαννερ. βυτ, τηε βοοκς ι μεντιονεδ αβοvε ι ηαvε νοτ ρεαδ ιν τωο ψεαρς, ανδ περηαπς ι νεεδ το γιvε τηεμ ανοτηερ γλανξε.ωηψ ωουλδ ιτ βε ας διφφιξυλτ ας ψου σαψ? φορ εχαμπλε, ωε κνοω τηατ ιν πείθω τηε διπητηονγ ις ρεαλ βεξαυσε ωε ξαν ωορκ ιτ τηρουγη τηε σουνδ μιλλ ανδ ωε κνοω τηε ιοτα ις ρεαλλψ τηερε. ιν τηε φυτυρε τενσε πείσομαι φρομ τηε vερβ πείθω ις προνουνξεδ "πεψ‐σο‐μαι", ας τηε διπτηονγ ις ρεαλ. ηοωεvερ, τηε φυτυρε οφ τηε vερβ πάσχω λοοκς ιδεντιξαλ το τηε φυτυρε οφ τηε vερβ πείθω, ναμελψ πείσομαι βυτ ιτ ηας ιν φαξτ α διφφερεντ προνυνξιατιον, ναμελψ, "πεεη‐σο‐μαι".ηοω δο ωε κνοω τηις? φιρστ οφ αλλ, ιτ ις ιμπορταντ το ρεμεμβερ τηατ τηε τερμ [i]σπυριους διπτηονγ[/i] ονλψ τελλσ υσ τηατ ιτ’σ νοτ ρεαλλψ α διπητηονγ, βυτ δοεσν’τ τελλ υσ αβουτ ωηατ τηε σουνδ βεηινδ τηε ορτηογραπηψ ισ. Ωηατ ωε αρε ρεαλλψ ταλκινγ αβουτ ισ τηε λενγτηενινγ οφ αν επσιλον ορ αν ομιξρον. Τηισ λενγτηενινγ οφ τηε σηορτ ϛοωελσ μαψ ρεσυλτ φρομ ονε οφ τωο ρεασονσ· 910[u][b]ξοντραξτιον[/u][/b] οφ ε+ε. φορ εχαμπλε ιν τηε ξοντραξτ vερβ ποιέω·ποιε + ετε = ποιεῖτε νο διπητηονγ, βυτ λονγ επσιλον (ιφ ωε μαψ ξαλλ ιτ τηατ.) (2) [u][b]ξομπενσατορψ λενγτηενινγ[/u][/b]. τηις ις ωηεν α λεττερ φαλλς ουτ οφ α ωορδ ανδ τηε vοωελ ις λενγτηενεδ το ξομπενσατε φορ ωηατ ωας λοστ. φορ εχαμπλε, ιν τηε φυτυρε οφ τηε vερβ πάσχω, ωηιξη ωε ωερε δισξυσσινγ αβοvε. τηε ινδο‐ευροπεαν φορμ ις·[b]πεντη‐ς‐ο‐μαι[/b]. φρομ τηις τηε ξονσοναντ ξλυστερ [b]‐ντη‐[/b] δροπς ουτ, ανδ ωε αρε λεφτ ωιτη [b]πε‐σο‐μαι[/b]. τηε [b]ε[/b] ιν [b]πε‐[/b] ωιλλ λενγτηεν το ξομπενσατε φορ τηε λοσς οφ τηε ξονσοναντς ανδ γιvες υς [b]πεεη‐σο‐μαι[/b]. ιν γρεεκ πείσομαι. αγαιν τηειρ ις νο διπητηονγισατιον, βυτ α λονγ επσιλον.ι ωας συρπρισεδ το φινδ vερψ στραιγητφορωαρδ ινφορματιον ον ηοω το δετερμινε ωηετηερ α διπητηονγ ις σπυριους ορ γενυινε ιν γοοδωιν’ς [u]γρεεκ γραμμαρ[/u], σεξτιον 8, ωηιξη Ι ηερε δεξομπρεσσ ανδ τρανσξριβε·\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[b]8.[/b] τηε διπητηονγς ει ανδ ου αρε ειτηερ [i]γενυινε[/i] ορ [i]σπυριους[/i]. [b]γενυινε[/b] ει, ου ειτηερ βελονγ το τηε εαρλιεστ στρυξτυρε οφ τηε λανγυαγε, ας ιν πείθω, [i]περσυαδε[/i] (ξφ. ιτς περφεξτ πέποιθἀ, ορ αρισε φρομ ξοντραξτιον οφ ε+ι, ας ιν γένε‐ι, γένει [i]βψ βιρτη[/i] (232). [b]σπυριους[/b] ει ανδ ου αρισε φρομ ξοντραξτιον οφ ε+ε ανδ ε+ο, ο+ε, ορ ο+ο, ασ ιν ἐποίει φορ 9ἐποίεἐ [i]ηε μαδε[/i], ἐποίουν φορ 9ἐποίεον [i]τηεψ μαδε[/i]; ορ φρομ ξομπενσατιvε λενγτηενινγ ([b]32[/b]), ας ιν τιθείς (φορ τιθεντ‐ς, [b] 0[/b]) [i] πλαξινγ[/i], τούς (φορ τόν‐ς, [b]75[/b]), τηε αξξυσατιvε πλυραλ οφ τηε αρτιξλε.ιν τηε φουρτη ξεντυρψ β.ξ. τηε σπυριους διπητηονγς ωερε ωριττεν λικε γενυινε ει ανδ ου (τηατ ις, ει, οὐ; βυτ ιν εαρλιερ τιμες τηεψ ωερε ωριττεν ε ανδ ο. σεε [b]28[/b].————————————————————————τηις αλλ μακες ιτ σεεμ λικε ιτ ωουλδ βε ποσσιβλε το δετερμινε ωηετηερ α διπητηονγ ις γενυινε ιν α vερβ ορ νοτ, βψ λοοκινγ ατ τηε αβλαυτ (τηε διφφερεντ vοωελ γραδες ιν τηε φορμς οφ ιτ’ς πρινξιπαλ παρτς.) ανδ το ιντερπρετ α διπητηονγ ας γενυινε ανψωηερε τηατ αν ιοτα ις παρτ οφ α ξοντραξτιον. οφ ξουρσε, το ρεπροδυξε τηις κινδ οφ αξξυραξψ ιν ρεαδινγ γρεεκ, ιτ ις νεξεσσαρψ το κνοω τηε ωορδς ιν αδvανξε. ανδ τηατ ις ωηψ ι αμ προποσινγ τηε ξονστρυξτιον οφ α λιστ οφ γρεεκ ωορδς ωιτη γενυινε διπητηονγς.ιτ συστ οξξυρρεδ το με τηατ λείπω ις ανοτηερ vερβ ωηερε τηε διπητηονγ ις γενυινε, ας ιτς περφεξτ ις λέλοιπα. τηις δοεσν’τ σεεμ λικε ιτ ωιλλ βε σο ηαρδ, ρεαλλψ. ωηατ δο ψου τηινκ? λετ’ς κεεπ τραξκ οφ τηεμ.σινξερελψ,J. σεβαστιαν παγανι<br />

Kevin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kevin »

According to Allen, the two sounds of 'ei' were identical by the C5, and had merged in the C6 or perhaps earlier. Therefore 'ei' is to be pronounced the same throughout the Classical period, no matter what its origin, and that is what the Greeks did at the time. Also, the change in spelling follows the change in pronunciation, not the other way around. Which is rather obvious when you remember that most Greeks of the time were illiterate. It seems a little pedantic to change the pronunciation of the classical authors over time, a practice we don't follow in reading Shakespeare.<br /><br />Most of the information you want is in Allen p. 67 ff