An elegaic couplet composed in 15 minutes

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

An elegaic couplet composed in 15 minutes

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

[size=150]νῦν μ’ ἕλε, δαιμονίη, ἡ\ μ’ ἔθελγες ἐν νήσῳ κύκνων τῶν λεύκων θύμον ἐχοῦσα μεῦ[/size] οὒ βαθύ ἐστίν

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: An elegaic couplet composed in 15 minutes

Post by annis »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:[size=150]νῦν μ’ ἕλε, δαιμονίη, ἡ\ μ’ ἔθελγες ἐν νήσῳ κύκνων τῶν λεύκων θύμον ἐχοῦσα μεῦ[/size]
The hexameter starts off fine, but then there's a bit of a scansion muddle. Somewhere I saw a verse comp. book say you should start your verses at the end of the line. At first I thought this was mad, but I am also mostly likely to trip up near the end of a line rather than the beginning.

First, the hiatus before is a surprise. Strange things do happen at the caesura, and the final eta of δαιμονίη is allowed hiatus here, because it falls in a natural long, and is thus following a Homeric model. But it's not very frequent.

From on scans: - u - u - - -. You need: uu - uu - u u - - (where the uu are contractable; by preference avoid contraction in the fifth foot).

The pentameter starts of fine, but you're missing a short position before μεῦ (love the Ionic brogue!). Note the accenting: θυμόν.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Ah, yes, I forgot about a couple of those petty details. That's what I get for composing this in so brief a time.

If I were more interested in the poem's subject matter, I might try to resolve some of those issues. As it is, I am far more interested in another Greek poem I'm working on (which is taking much more time to compose since I want it to be as excellent as possible).