Homer for ADD bards

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Homer for ADD bards

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

ΜΗ:?Ι? ΑΕΙΔΕ ΘΕΑ , ΠΗΛΗΙΑΔΕΩ ΑΧΙΛΗ:ΟΣ

ΟΥΛΟΜΕ?Η? , 'Η ΜΥΡΙ , ΑΧΑΙΟΙΑΛΓΕ ΕΘΗΚΕ ,

ΠΟΛΛΑΣ Δ ΙΦΘΙΜΟΥΣ ΨΥΧΑΣ , ΑΙΔΙ ΠΡΟΙΑΨΕ?

'ΗΡΩΩ? , ΑΥΤΟΥΣ ΔΕ 'ΕΛΩΡΙΑ , ΤΕΥ:ΧΕ ΚΥ?ΕΣΣΙ?

ΟΙΩ?ΟΙ:ΣΙ ΤΕ ΠΑ:ΣΙ , ΔΙΟΣ Δ ΕΤΕΛΕΙΕΤΟ ΒΟΥΛΗ,

ΕΞ 'ΟΥ: ΔΗ ΤΑ ΠΡΩ:ΤΑ , ΔΙΑΣΤΗΤΗ? ΕΡΙΣΑ?ΤΕ

ΑΤΡΕΙΔΗΣ ΤΕ Α?ΑΞ Α?ΔΡΩ:? , ΚΑΙ ΔΙ:ΟΣ ΑΧΙΛΛΕΥΣ .
Last edited by Bardo de Saldo on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

That's how I read (sing) my Homer. The first vowel (or diphtong/synizesis) of every foot is colored: red for dactyls and blue for spondees. Heavy breathings are marked by a preceding apostrophe. Acute and circumflex accents are underlined, with a colon after the circumflexes. The underlines serve as a mini pitch chart (they mark the possible high notes in the verse). I've put commas where I think that the caesuras fall. Diaeresis aren't needed with this notation, if you see a red vowel followed by an 'a' and an 'i', for example, the red vowel tells you that what follows are two short syllables, not a diphtong.

Please point out any mistakes.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Very cool :D

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Thanks, G-string. For performance purposes, I find this much easier to read than what I started with: a print-out of the polytonic with the metrical signs penciled over it. You get all you need (except for the talent and the articulation) with big letters and without the clutter.