Optate!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Optate!

Post by benissimus »

Vote on my poll in the Agora. I know you looked at it >:(<br /><br />
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Optate!

Post by mariek »

<br />I would vote if I had fully understood the question and options. :-\

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The question is What is the worst fate?. So far everyone has voted Baked in Episcopus' cake. What does that tell us? :o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

If someone would translate it for me, I'll vote gladly. I'm just one of those strange people who doesn't like to vote for what they know not...and yes, I've looked at it, probably half a dozen times. I just don't understand it. What are my options, please? <br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I ought to say, I can't understand it yet...I'm beginning to be able to pick out a word, here and there...Yay! <br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#3939 date=1060922804]<br />The question is What is the worst fate?. So far everyone has voted Baked in Episcopus' cake. What does that tell us? :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />It sounds like we either think that Episcopus is not a great cook..... Or else that we think he's related to the Hansel and Gretal witch......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I never knew myself to be so popular :-*<br /><br />Actually the last cake that I baked was done in school (the height of my learning experience in there, unfourtunately); 'twas chocolate and rather delicious.<br /><br />Also to be baked inside it would have been rendered pleasurable to one's skin for the hottest temperature at which it was cooked was comfortably warm.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ok kids, here I go:<br /><br />Sumptus crocodilo<br />Eaten by a crocodile<br />Cadere e scalis rubris stupidis<br />To fall off a stupid red ladder (wish I had written de instead of e :()<br />Strictus rana venenifera<br />Brushed up against by a venomous frog<br />Per pulmone punctus virgula fragili<br />Stabbed through the lung by a fragile twig<br />Pumex per caput<br />A pumice-stone through the head<br />Nimis crapularius<br />Too drunk<br />Humari magnis in corbibus malorum sine anima<br />To be buried in large wicker-baskets of evil men without breath (meant to write multis rather than magnis :-\, interpret how you like ;) I wish I could change my vote to this!) <br />In placenta coctus Episcopi<br />Cooked in Episcopus' cake<br /><br />Do not ask me what was going through my head when I decided on those options.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I could have told you the 'de' one ;) <br /><br />And see! In latin I would not have had to write I in italics!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Bah, it still makes sense, but who falls away from a ladder? :(

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#4016 date=1060979183]<br />Bah, it still makes sense, but who falls away from a ladder? :(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I read "e" as "out of" (a ladder) which is indeed unpleasant; how would one be inside the solid wood/metal of a ladder?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Latin doesn't distinguish from "in" or "on" so ex can mean "out of" or "away from" although you have to be careful since the connotation is very different from that of "ab."

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#4017 date=1060979281]<br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#4016 date=1060979183]<br />Bah, it still makes sense, but who falls away from a ladder? :(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I read "e" as "out of" (a ladder) which is indeed unpleasant; how would one be inside the solid wood/metal of a ladder?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I suppose one could have become all tangled up in the rungs..... In which case falling out of and away from the ladder might be the preferred option. Unless the ladder is one of the ones used to get over ice crevasses on the way across the ice field at the foot of Mt Everest....<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I vote you are the most imaginative... or is it I, for inventing that in(s)ane poll?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

We could create a poll to see if it's a tie, or if we should appeal to the ruling of Episcopus.......<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

To be honest, I think benissimum to be insane! <br /><br />I mean, EVERYONE knows of "Nuthin' But A G Thang" by snoop doggy dogg feat Dr Dre, and he lives in california - where, back 'in tha day' it would have been 'bumpin in them trucks with the twenty inch rims and no suspension' probably passing outside his house!!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Not everyone. I have no clue whatsoever what you're talking about. <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#3939 date=1060922804]<br />The question is What is the worst fate?. So far everyone has voted Baked in Episcopus' cake. What does that tell us? :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ah... I kinda sorta got the gist of the question, although I thought it was more along the lines of "What's the worst way to die?" <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=474;start=0#3948 date=1060945863]<br />I'm just one of those strange people who doesn't like to vote for what they know not...and yes, I've looked at it, probably half a dozen times. I just don't understand it.[/quote]<br /><br />I got bits and pieces of each, but not enough to get a good enough feel for the options to vote on any of them. The "drunk" one was easy. ;D<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

benissimus wrote:<br />Humari magnis in corbibus malorum sine anima<br />To be buried in large wicker-baskets of evil men without breath (meant to write multis rather than magnis :-\, interpret how you like ;) I wish I could change my vote to this!)
<br /><br />I'm not sure w hat to make of this one. I guess you're basically saying "being buried alive". But to be buried in several "baskets", that seems to imply that the evil men cut you to pieces first! :o <br />
<br />In placenta coctus Episcopi<br />Cooked in Episcopus' cake
<br /><br />Hmmm... ???<br /><br />
<br />Do not ask me what was going through my head when I decided on those options.<br />
<br /><br />Ignorance is bliss. ::)<br /><br />Actually I find it quite interesting. I think one of the worst fates would be some sort of "drowning", but you don't have anything like that. The closest thing would probably be the lung stabbing. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Episcopus wrote:<br />To be honest, I think benissimum to be insane!
<br /><br />"Who in the rainbow can draw the line where the violet tint ends and the orange tint begins? Distinctly we see the difference of the colors, but where exactly does the one first blendingly enter into the other? So with sanity and insanity." -- Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)<br /><br />"Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtaxed." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)<br /><br /><br />
<br />I mean, EVERYONE knows of "Nuthin' But A G Thang" by snoop doggy dogg feat Dr Dre, and he lives in california - where, back 'in tha day' it would have been 'bumpin in them trucks with the twenty inch rims and no suspension' probably passing outside his house!!
<br /><br /> ??? You must have a funny idea about Californians. And we're not all driving cars with the bling bling. :P<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Only the black people, but unfourtunately those who are hispanic or african american are beaten to the ground by police just for having fun. And you have heard of that song, yes?

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=474;start=15#4050 date=1060983641]<br />To be honest, I think benissimum to be insane! <br /><br />I mean, EVERYONE knows of "Nuthin' But A G Thang" by snoop doggy dogg feat Dr Dre, and he lives in california - where, back 'in tha day' it would have been 'bumpin in them trucks with the twenty inch rims and no suspension' probably passing outside his house!!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />After reading this, I'm quite sure that it's Episcopus who's insane.<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

well...well...bene smokes!! beat that for insanity<br /><br />Pity that so many people be insane in this way that it has become accepted as sane. sed non ab episcopo

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

hmm...

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=474;start=15#4084 date=1061018881]<br /><br />"Who in the rainbow can draw the line where the violet tint ends and the orange tint begins? Distinctly we see the difference of the colors, but where exactly does the one first blendingly enter into the other? So with sanity and insanity." -- Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)<br /><br />"Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtaxed." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Sanity is merely another form of conformity. I forget his name, but I think the quote is from the man that the movie A Beautiful Mind was made about...I"ve never seen it, but I saw a show on it once. All I remembered was the quote, which I love. <br /><br />Keesa

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

By the way, did I say what I meant to say in the Agora? (It was my first post in there-YAY!) I meant to say, "Fall off a stupid red ladder, then be eaten by a crocodile." Did it come out right? <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yep, I understood.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Understood my sentence, you mean? Double yay! I'm improving! <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=474;start=15#4151 date=1061079872]<br />Understood my sentence, you mean? Double yay! I'm improving! <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Stick with D'Ooge diligently and zealously and he will deliver Latin to you. O Keesa you shall improve beyond your expectations.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Dilligently and zealously shall I study! Yes! I can study again today! I couldn't yesterday...I had to take an all-day-test, and they didn't even give the questions in Latin! :'( Although...considering my current skill level (as opposed to the skills I shall someday obtain!) that's probably a good thing, n'est-ce pas? I think so, anyway...<br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=474;start=15#4138 date=1061077691]<br />"Fall off a stupid red ladder, then be eaten by a crocodile." Did it come out right? <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br />That was what I understood it to say, and I did get a laugh out of it, too. Keep posting in Latin!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Keesa gallinas amat! <br /><br />I shall certainly do my best to post in Latin, but you must understand that my vocabulary is limited. ;) (I do like chickens, by the way...I used to keep them, but a nasty fox ate them! :'() Keesa crocodilo non amat... ;D<br /><br />Keesa

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Et Keesa vulpem non amat!<br /><br />(vulpes; vulpis = 3rd declension noun: fox....)<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Non amat!