Textkit Logo

singular vs. plural?

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

singular vs. plural?

Postby tbjohnston » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:35 am

In Pharr §38, the exercise is to translate from Greek this sentence:

[face=SPIonic]di=oj e9khbo/loj au0to\s a0ei/dei, a0ll' ou0x a9nda/nei a0/lloisi qeoi=si qumw|=.[/face] Additionally, the student is pointed to §996 and §1009.

Mr. Annis's kindly provided answer key indicates that this could be translated as "The divine free-shooter himself sings, but it doesn't please the other gods in their souls."

My question revolves around translating [face=SPIonic]qumw|=[/face] as "in their souls." Isn't the form given singular?

Thanks.

p.s. I seem to have extra spaces in my SPIonic-based text. What can I do to avoid this? Thanks
tbjohnston
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:06 am

hi, [face=SPIonic]qumo/j[/face] is never used in the plural in the iliad. here it's used as a locative: i.e. for each of the other gods it's [face=SPIonic]ou)x a(nda/nei e)n qumw=|[/face], which is what Will's translation captures.

the SPIonic spacing thing by the way is just a glitch which appears from time to time in this forum, don't worry about it, cheers, chad.
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby Eureka » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:09 am

Hi tbj. The extra spaces only show up on Explorer. When I use Netscape or Firefox, they don't show up.
phpbb
Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Postby tbjohnston » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:09 pm

Thank you both.
tbjohnston
Textkit Neophyte

More singular vs. plural

Postby tbjohnston » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:52 am

In §39.6, the English text is:

"This free-shooter makes countless Achaeans a booty for the birds, because they dishonor these beautiful goddesses of the sea."

The answer key posted by Mr. Annis uses [face=SPIonic]e0lw/ria[/face] to translate "a booty". Any reason to prefer the plural [face=SPIonic]e9lw/ria[/face] over the singular [face=SPIonic]e0lw/rion[/face]?

Many thanks,

-TJ
tbjohnston
Textkit Neophyte

Postby chad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:25 am

hi, see pharr s27.4. [face=SPIonic]e(lw/ria[/face] strictly means 'objects of prey' (Cunliffe's Homeric dictionary), which makes more sense and NB [face=SPIonic]e(lw/rion [/face]doesn't occur in the Iliad; pharr just wanted to use the kinkier english word :)
chad
Textkit Zealot

Postby tbjohnston » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Got it, thanks. Appreciated. -TJ
tbjohnston
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners