A latin tool that would be great for greek

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Timotheus
Textkit Member

A latin tool that would be great for greek

Post by Timotheus »

I saw this post in one of the latin forums.

http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/Ilaria_Marchesi/

I loved it, how dificult would it be to do the same for Pharr???

I love the ancient Greek text manager but this link to the latin is quite a nice tool.

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Timotheus,

Can you be more specific about what you like at her site; specifically its possible relationship to Pharr?

I originally intended AGTM to include a "paradigm driller". I dropped it because I didn't think people would care much one way or the other.

Cordially,

Paul

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

So, I've written something kinda close in a sense. I was upset that I couldn't find complete lists of verb conjugations (and perseus doesn't help in this case), so for those of you with firefox, I wrote this:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~psilord/verb/test.html

It is still in alpha mode (hence some strange layout, the unicode greek character dump, only some conjugations and verb represented, and firefox only), but it is intended to be a verb conjugation exploration device. The data files can contain all sorts of comments and whatnot to detail the minutae of verb conjugation for as many verbs as I can stick in there.

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

Paul wrote:Hi Timotheus,

Can you be more specific about what you like at her site; specifically its possible relationship to Pharr?

I originally intended AGTM to include a "paradigm driller". I dropped it because I didn't think people would care much one way or the other.

Cordially,

Paul
Actually the "paradigm driller" would be one of the nice feature's that would be a great help in memorization. The excercises are the same and yet different on her sight that aids 1. from Wheelocks, you write out the paradigm out which is good 2. the Cicero's excercise has a word listed adn ask you to tell what is the case, number, and gender for the particular word listed. either by themselves is great but if both types of excercises are combined I believe it would benifit the students memorization skills better as well as cause constant attention to the declensions/congugation.

Another feature would be the Vocabulary to pharr per every lesson as a way in which to learn the vocabulary. recently you gave me the means to use AGTM to create my own vocab, however most of the definitions came from perseus. In pharr there are several definitions to each word listed so below is an example of this-

but to have a tool that ask; "what word means _____, yes that's right it means ______ it also means ..., (or) no the word ____ means _____ however it can also mean... with randomly choosing the the greek or english word to define.

Another excercise not listed would be; accentuation. list out the word and \or phrase with three or more variations of accenting. the student then types out the whole word or phrase with the correct acentuation. If wrong a message 'sorry that is wrong, it is ____ ____ ____ . because this reason. or 'that's right it is this way because ...

It may seem a little redundant but it is one of the methods used in primary education software. you know "pick out the red color. ~no that's blue. pick out the red color. ~no that is GREEN, pick out6 the red color, ~that's RIGHT! that is the red color!!! you just won a point. now pick out the yellow.....

it is off that principle that I liked some of the featurs of the posted websight. Now I DO WANT YOU TO KNOW I DO LIKE THE AGTM but you asked what were some of the features I liked. and I know that some of the features I listed were not part of her sight but I may be more game oriented now since I have kids and see thier learning software.