question on some verb endings

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
antianira
Textkit Neophyte

question on some verb endings

Post by antianira »

What is the conjugation for the perfect tense of abdo: abdidi. which of the four (5 if you count that extra 3rd group) groups does it belong to?

abdidi, abdideram, abdidero ? (perfect, pluperfect, future)

Does it matter which group it's in? In the perfect groups, I don't see any difference amongst the groups.

I've seen a few verbs ending in -didi, ( ie. trado: tradidi) will all verbs of the same endings be in the same group?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

abdo is in the 3rd conjugation, similar to tradere, edere, perdere, condere, dedere etc. Note that didere has perfect dídi not dididi as i would like. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

the conjugational endings of the perfect active system (which includes pluperfect and future perfect) are the same for all conjugations. You must instead look to the first two principal parts to determine which conjugation a verb belongs to. The conjugation does however have some effect on the appearance of the perfect stem. You conjugated abdo correctly in the first person singular forms of the 3 perfect active tenses.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae