Textkit Logo

Intransitive verbs and the passive voice

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.

Intransitive verbs and the passive voice

Postby Deccius » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:37 pm

Salvete!

I am working on the passive voice right now, and I was wondering what D'Ooge means by "personal subjects" in the following:
166. Intransitive verbs, such as maturo, I hasten; habito, I dwell, do not have a passive voice with a personal subject.
Does this mean that intransitive verbs can never be in the passive voice, or that their use is very limited?

thanks,
deccius
Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:47 pm

I suppose he is hinting at the fact that intransitive verbs can be used impersonally in the passive. You can have a form such as itur (passive of it "he/she/it goes"), which roughly means "someone goes". The rule D'Ooge gives is mostly true of prose, but you do find intransitives in the passive with personal subjects occasionally: e.g. invideor "I am envied" (impersonal: invidetur mihi).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Latin For Beginners by D'Ooge