What Greek/Latin Textbooks do you own?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

What Greek/Latin Textbooks do you own?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I thought it might be fun to see what Greek and Latin grammars, readers, lexicons and learning aids others have. Here's my list. I'm starting with the Greek books - Latin to follow in another thread.<br /><br />GREEK GRAMMARS/COMPOSITIONS<br />Smyth's Greek Grammar (2)<br />Goodwin's Greek Grammar (4)<br />Goodwin's Elementary Greek Grammar (2)<br />Goodwin & Gulick's Greek Grammar<br />Goodwin's Syntax of the Moods and Tenses of the Greek Verb<br />Hadley & Allen's Greek Grammar<br />White's First Greek Book (2)<br />White's Beginners Greek Book<br />Gunion's First Greek Grammar Accidence & Syntax<br />North & Hillards Greek Prose Composition<br />Sidgwick's Greek Prose Compostion<br />Spieker's Greek Prose Composition<br />Allinson's Greek Prose Composition<br />Seymour's Homeric Language and Verse<br />Robertson's Short Grammar of the Greek New Testament<br />Nunn's Syntax of New Testament Greek<br />Frost's A Greek Primer<br />Whiton's Preparation for Reading Xenophon<br /><br /><br />GREEK READERS<br />Goodwin's First Four Books of Xenophon's Anabasis<br />Mather & Hewitt's Xenophon's Anabasis Books I-IV<br />Minckwitz's Homer Odyssey Book XII<br />Herberden's Euripides Hecuba<br />Tyler's Olynthiacs of Demosthenes<br />Adam's Lysias Selected Speeches<br />Towle's Plato Protagoras<br />Humhreys' Aristophanes Clouds<br />Nicolson's Aristophanes Plutus<br />Harry's Euripides Hippolytus<br />Morris's Thucydides Book I<br />Seymour's Plato Aplogy & Crito<br />Macaulay's Herodutus Book III<br />Sandys' First Philippic and Olymthiacs <br />Sidgwick's Easy Selections From Plato<br />Merry's Selections From Herodotus <br />White's Oedipus Tyrannus of Sophocles<br />Loebs - Homer's Iliad Volume I & 2, Homer's Odyssey Volumes 1 & 2, Plato's Apology & Crito, Arrian's Anabasis Volume 1<br /><br />AIDS<br />Tutti Verbi<br />Liddell & Scott Greek Lexion<br />Homeric Greek Lexicon<br /><br /><br /><br />that's it!<br /><br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:What Greek/Latin Textbooks do you own?

Post by benissimus »

LATIN GRAMMARS/COMPOSITIONS<br />Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition<br />Latin for Americans (2)<br />Ecce Romani 1<br />Oxford Latin Course I<br />Oxford Latin Course II<br /><br /><br />GREEK GRAMMARS/COMPOSITIONS<br />Teach Yourself© Ancient Greek<br /><br />AIDS<br />Cassel's Latin Dictionary<br />Textkit :)<br />_________________________________________________________<br /><br />I am jealous of your massive and antique collection :-[
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I am jealous also Jeff ;)<br /><br />Grammars<br /><br />Latin For Beginners, Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge (1) ;D <br />Cambridge Latin Course I and II<br />Allen and Greenough<br /><br />Readers<br /><br />None as yet (none needed)<br />

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Greek<br />Greek: An Intensive Course (Hansen and Quinn)<br />Learn Ancient Greek (Peter Jones)<br />Teach Yourself Greek (NOT the Teach Yourself series... this is a slim pale blue volume I picked up ages ago - can't identify an author but it's not a particularly good book anyway)<br />Vox Graeca (W.S. Allen)<br />Eurpides' Medea (Mastronarde)<br />Aristophanes' Clouds, Wasps, Peace (Henderson)<br />Oxford Grammar of Classical Greek<br />Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary<br />LOADS of Greek plays in various translations...<br /><br />Latin<br />Learn Latin - Daily Telegraph Series (Peter Jones)<br />Teach Yourself Books: Latin (again, NOT the Teach Yourself series... or perhaps this is a very old version of the series... can't identify an author... this is a navy blue and ochre volume, left to me by my great-uncle now deceased...)<br /><br />And... Bulfinch's Mythology - if that counts!

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

Latin:<br /><br />M&F<br />Essentials of Latin Grammar by W. Michael Wilson<br />Wheelock's Reader 2e<br />Loeb Bede in two volumes<br />Loeb De Bello Gallico<br />Oxford Pocket Dictionary<br /><br />Greek:<br /><br />Learn Ancient Greek by Peter Jones

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

How's the Learn Ancient Greek by Peter Jones?
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

I find Peter Jones' books highly witty, and I also like how they let you into the language quite painlessly. They're probably good for the casual learner, or perhaps for those who want a 'gentler' introduction.<br /><br />However, the books can't go much beyond an introduction. They are not comprehensive (though to be fair, they don't claim to be), and thus they are insufficient for the serious student. Nonetheless, I like having them on hand for a fresh perspective; my main textbook (Hansen and Quinn) tends to be very dry, and sometimes a good joke about the material is all you need to remember an obscure fact...

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

(inhale deeply)...<br /><br />You young 'uns take note: I'm 34. I've been collecting Greek books since I was about 15. Only collect the best!<br /><br />Greek Grammars/Composition:<br />Smyth "Greek Grammar"<br />Abbott & Mansfield "Primer of Greek Grammar"<br />Goodwin & Gulick "Greek Grammar"<br />Curtius "A Grammar of the Greek Language" (tr. Wm Smith)<br />Monro "Homeric Grammar"<br />Pharr "Homeric Greek: A Book for Beginners"<br />Crosby & Schaeffer "An Introduction to Greek" (my college text)<br />Hanson & Quinn "Intensive Greek"<br />Machen "New Testament Greek for Beginners"<br />M.H.B Marshall "Verbs, Nouns and Postpositives in Attic Prose"<br />North & Hillard "Greek Prose Composition"<br />F.G. Allinson "Greek Prose Composition"<br />Lewis and Skyler "Foundations for Greek Prose Composition"<br />Isaac Flagg "A Writer of Attic Prose"<br /><br />Loebs:<br />Lucian, vols II, VI<br />Quintus Smyrnaeus "The Fall of Troy"<br />Achilles Tatius<br />Chartion "Callirhoe"<br />Nonnos, Dionysiaca vols I-III (mindbogglingly deranged reading)<br />Marcus Aurelius<br />Epictetus, vols I-II <br />Iliad, vol I<br />Greek Anthology, vol. IV<br /><br />Teubneriana<br />Rzach "Hesiodus Carmina"<br />Arrian "Anabasis" (of Alexander the Great, not Xenophon's)<br />Ilias I, II edidit West (brand new)<br />Carmina Anacreontea<br /><br />Oxford Classical Texts<br />Sophocles Fabulae<br />Aeschyli Tragoediae<br />Thucidides vols I-II<br />Herodotus vols I-II<br />Xenophon Historia Graeca<br /><br />Other Texts<br />Polybii Historiae, edidit Bekker, 1844<br />West, "Iambi et Elegi Graeci"<br />"The Oxford Book of Greek Verse"<br /><br />Commentaries, Dictionaries, Readers, etc.<br />2x Middle Liddle (one gets written in, the other not)<br />Cunliffe, "Dictionary of the Homeric Dialect"<br />Authenrieth, "A Homeric Dictionary"<br />Becker's Iliad w/ notes & vocab<br />Kirk et al., "The Iliad: A Commentary" vols I-VI ($$$)<br />Tyler "Selections from the Greek Lyric Poets"<br />Jebb's commentary on Antigone<br />Dodd's on Euripides' Bacchae<br />Elliott's on Eur. Medea<br />Stanford's "Odyssey of Homer" books A-M<br />West's on Hesiod's Theogony<br />West's on Hesiod's Works and Days<br />Smyth, "Greek Melic Poets"<br />Hopkinson, "Greek Poetry of the Imperial Period"<br />Campbell, "Greek Lyric Poetry"<br />Bryn Mawr commentaries on Books I and III of Herodotus<br />Barbour's "Selections from Herodotus"<br />United Bible Societies' "The Greek New Testament" with dictionary<br />C.E. Freeman & W.D. Lowe "A Greek Reader for Schools"<br />Finally, a freaky Cambridge University Press thing where some school library bound together school editions of Euripides' "Iphigeneia at Aulis, Medea, Hecuba" and "Hercules Furens"<br /><br />I have more books on Arabic grammar than I do Latin, so I will not report my Latin titles.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Such a fine list!<br /><br />What year is your Curtius? I'm guessing it's a reprint. According to Goodwin he was a real heavy hitter and brought the German works into English. Is this true? I would like to read that preface.<br /><br /><br />
Textkit Founder

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

jeff wrote:<br />What year is your Curtius? I'm guessing it's a reprint. <br />
<br /><br />1878. Not a reprint. It came into the hands of one E.B. McGilvary, Bingham School, Mebaueville(??), N.C, on Aug 26th, 1879. The handwriting is exquisite.<br /><br />
According to Goodwin he was a real heavy hitter and brought the German works into English. Is this true? I would like to read that preface.<br />
<br /><br />I have no idea what a "heavy hitter" would mean in this situation. :-\ So I cannot say. I still own it only because I like old books that smell ancient and look cool. For real work I consult Smyth.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I think you have very nice and rare book - keep it warm, safe and dry.<br /><br />Sorry, that was 'Soprano talk'. ;) What I meant by heavy hitter is that Curtius influenced American Greek educators like Hadley and Goodwin. In a very crude way it goes something like this:<br /><br />Curtius Greek Grammar >> Hadley Greek Grammar >> Goodwin Elementary Grammar >> Goodwin Greek Grammar<br /><br />It was Hadley's 1860 Greek Grammar that was largely adapted from Curtius's Griechische Shulgrammatik.<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

(Young and old take note: I am 40 and have collected Greek books for only a few years.)<br /><br /><br />Grammars<br />Basics of Biblical Greek grammar + <br />Basics of Biblical Greek work book -William D. Mounce<br />Homeric Greek, a Book for Beginners. -Clyde Pharr<br />Beginning Greek, a Functional Approach, -Stephen W. Paine<br /> <br />Readers<br />A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek. -William D. Mounce<br />A work book for New Testament Greek (Grammar and Exegesis in First John) -Marvin R. Wilson and Chris Alex Vlachos<br />Greek New Testament (I guess this is not a reader, but it is Greek)<br /><br />Aid<br />Complete Vocabulary Guide to the Greek New Testament -Warren C. Trencard<br /><br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Bert de Haan:<br /><br />I see NT selections there. <br /><br />It might interest you to know that we just acquired Syntax of the Moods and Tenses in New Testament Greek by Ernest De Witt Burton. <br /><br />Also - I'm almost finished with Ginn's College Series of Greek Author's "Selections from the Septuagint" which I find to be one of the best books in the series because of its balance of introduction, grammar, NT Greek text and vocabulary.
Textkit Founder

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=463;start=0#3844 date=1060801468]<br />How's the Learn Ancient Greek by Peter Jones? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Keep in mind that I had no prior knowledge of Greek before starting this book. I'm not very deep into it, but it's great so far. It's written in a lively style and directed towards adults, not Victorian schoolboys ;p Jones provides plenty of mnemonics and helpful advice for learning. I think his approach is more effective for me than a traditional introduction would be. It's also priced very affordably.<br /><br />The downside...it doesn't cover much grammar, so I'll try work through an intensive introduction when I'm finished. I admit that if I could spend as much time on Greek as I do now on Latin, I'd probably just start with an intensive text. But there are only so many hours in the day. :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hehe-I'm almost ashamed to reply to this post, after seeing everybody else's answers. <br /><br />Other than the books on Textkit, I own one Greek grammar (Koine/New Testament Greek, not Ancient/Classical), a very slim paperback book, copyright 2001, called A Beginner's Reader/Grammar for New Testament Greek. I expect this book to be very helpful...after I learn New Testament Greek. :P <br /><br />Okay, so it doesn't compare with the other lists of books on here, but hey, I'm young and broke...what can I say? ;)<br /><br /><br />Keesa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Having just one Greek book is a good thing - and it's not important how many you own - but how often you read it ;)
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'll second the young and broke. <br /><br />Yet I feel so strong accompanied by Benjamin L. D'Ooge.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

I feel a mite better after seeing these lists.... I occasionally think I spend way too much time in various bookstores feeding a classics habit.....<br /><br />Latin<br /><br />Grammar<br /><br />Wheelock 3rd Edition (Course Text)<br />Wheelock 6th Edition (because 3 went to Edmonton.....)<br />Workbooks to Wheelock 5 and 6 (Forgot I had one and duplicated)<br />A&G<br />M&F<br />Bennett - New Latin Grammar (Course Text)<br />Bennett - New Latin Composition (Course Text)<br />North and Hillard - Latin Prose Composition (Course Text)<br />Daniell - New Latin Composition (1897, so it's not THAT new!)<br />Oxford I<br />Sharpley - Essential Latin (Language and Life of Ancient Rome - (c) 2000)<br />Traupman - Conversational Latin<br />"Capellanus" - Latin Can be Fun<br />Oxford University Press - "Latin Grammar" c. 1999 (a "Coles Notes" version, but pretty good for a quick reference....)<br />Beeson - A Primer of Medieval latin (Anthology of Prose and Poetry) (Course Text)<br />New College Latin-English Dictionary<br />Cassell's Latin-English Dictionary<br />Goldman and Szymanski - English Grammar for Students of Latin<br /><br />Readers<br />Jones and Sidwell - Reading Latin Text (1986)<br />ME Hardwick - "Brevitas" (1960)<br /><br />Texts<br />Complete Horace (1934)<br />Horace - Odes & Epodes (1960)<br />Vergil - Bucolics and Georgics (1963)<br />Vergil - Aeneid I (1971) (Course Text)<br />Loeb Ovid - Art of Love and Selected Poems (1939)<br />Loeb Cicero - De Legibus and De Republica (2000)<br />Cicero - De Officiis (Oxford Classical Texts)<br />Bennett's New Cicero (1922)<br />Pliny - Selected Letters (1964)<br /><br />Greek<br /><br />Koine<br /><br />Basics of Biblical Greek + Workbook (Mounce)<br />Trenchard - Students Complete Vocabulary Guide to the New Testament (Course Text)<br />Greek NT<br /><br />Ancient<br /><br />Teach Yourself Ancient Greek (the modern series - I was desparate....)<br />Smith and Mellish - Teach Yourself Ancient Greek (I think this is the same one Raya has - It moved in with me when my parents moved last spring.)<br />Moody's Eton Greek Grammar <br />Owen and Goodspeed - Homeric Vocabulary<br />Lewis and Skyler - Foundations of Greek Prose Composition (1934)<br />Forster and Webster - An Anthology of Greek Prose (1933)<br />Theocritus - Kynaston (1892)<br /><br />The used bookstores around here have been good to me..... ;D<br /><br />Kilmeny

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=463;start=0#3797 date=1060780752]<br />Here's my list. I'm starting with the Greek books - Latin to follow in another thread. [/quote]<br /><br />OK, we've seen your Greek list. Now how about that Latin list? :drumming fingers on table impatiently: ;D<br /><br />I feel sooooooo "poor" in the book category. But then, I've only just started. Just give me a few years and I'm sure my collection will have increased. I only have two: BLD and the New College Latin Dictionary.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=William Annis link=board=6;threadid=463;start=0#3872 date=1060819712]<br />You young 'uns take note: I'm 34. I've been collecting Greek books since I was about 15. Only collect the best![/quote]<br /><br />Holy guacamole! That's quite an impressive collection. I hope to acquire as many books, although in/for Latin, during the next two decades. Need to collect many Latin books to keep all my French book company.<br /><br />I will have to remember to come back to this list of yours, so that I can show it to my husband 19 years from now, and tell him, "See? I really DON'T have too many books!" ;) Or perhaps in another 19 years -- that is, 38 years for you -- you will have amassed an even greater number of books, and I'll use this even larger list of yours to prove my point with my husband. ;D ;D<br /><br />With such a collection, do you keep them sitting out on bookshelves? Or have you stored/hidden some of them away in boxes? We have the unfortunate "problem" of too many books and not enough shelf space. :(<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=463;start=15#3907 date=1060868746]<br />North and Hillard - Latin Prose Composition (Course Text) [/quote]<br /><br />Tell me about this book. It sounds like a book that teaches you how to write Latin? That is, you get lots of practice (exercises?) translating from English to Latin. Or does it only teach you about the concepts of writing in Latin?<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

It's mainly an exercise book with very brief discussions. There's also a key to Latin Prose Composition (sadly I cannot find a public domain printing) but the key is great for independent learners.<br /><br />Also, Composition is very difficult stuff, if you want a quicker route to satisfaction you can always use the key as the exercises and the exercises as the key!
Textkit Founder

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=mariek link=board=6;threadid=463;start=15#3915 date=1060880247]<br /><br />Tell me about this book. It sounds like a book that teaches you how to write Latin? That is, you get lots of practice (exercises?) translating from English to Latin. Or does it only teach you about the concepts of writing in Latin?<br />[/quote]<br />A similar book is Bennett's New Latin Prose Composition, which Jeff has posted. N&H have a little bit more explanation before they sic you on an exercise, but Bennett cross-references to various grammars.... D'Ooge has you doing English-to-Latin translation, right? That's the sort of exercise that N&H is full of.....<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Interesting question, but difficukt in my case!<br />It is now 11 years that I study classics, so I have my little library here with about 1000 volumes. I can not write them down here, it's way to much!<br />But there are a few grammers in it, also books about history, dictionnaries and many many texteditions ( Oxford Clssical texts, Loeb, Teubner, Budé, ...) ....<br /><br />Many many books, but that's also the only thing I'm interested in. So I spend al my money on it, I also buy a little bit food sometimes, lol, ...<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=Moerus link=board=6;threadid=463;start=15#3994 date=1060973293]<br />Interesting question, but difficukt in my case!<br />It is now 11 years that I study classics, so I have my little library here with about 1000 volumes. I can not write them down here, it's way to much!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />That sounds like an amazing collection - I would hate to move :) Do you have any favorites?
Textkit Founder

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

In fact, I am in love with Latin and Greek! So it's difficult to pick a favorite author. It's a little bit easier with grammers. <br /><br />Grammer is also one of my favorite things (and composition also). <br />I Think the most complete and friendly grammer I have is a German one: Kühner for Latin and Kühner - Gerth for Greek. But it's in German and that does'nt make it very easy sometimes. It is a big one (and very expensive one too). For Latin there are 3 volumes, the first about 800 pages I think and the two others about 500 pages. The Greek one has 4 volumes and each book is about 500 pages. I have also an other German grammer of Latin and Greek, but it has a more difficult structure and it's not so easy to consult.<br /><br />I have also Grammers in Frensh, English, Dutch, ans Latin itself. The Latin ones are in fact also texts like Quintillianus, Donatus. The Latin ones are not the traditional grammers.<br /><br />In English my favorite Greek grammer is Smyth, I also use Goodwin very much. For Latin I mostly use Menge (a German one especially for the syntax of Cicero) and in English Gildersleeve and Lodge. <br /><br />And the best dictionaries are of course Liddell -Scott; Louis - Short; Gaffiot (Latin - Frensh) and Bailly (Greek - Frensh). But I have also dictionaries in other languages. <br /><br />I know it's much that I have, but I spend a fortune on it! Bit it was worth it I think. I probably will dedicate the rest of my live on Latin and Greek, so I see it as an investment. Ans also it's to interesting ...<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Kühner - is this the Kühner that influenced American scholars such as Hadley, Goodwin and Smyth.<br /><br />I'm trying to get a solid understanding of why grammars change over the course of time. For me, it's an interesting academic question.<br /><br />One of my favorite things to do when I get a new grammar is read the preface. There's always so much information to be gleamed because the authors always like to pay their respects to other works that have influenced their own.<br /><br />It seems that our modern understanding of Greek grammar has its start in German scholarship around 1840-1860.<br /><br />Is this true? and would you know specifically what concepts these German grammars introduced?<br />
Textkit Founder

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Oh well - here's my list:<br />Book list<br /><br />Latin<br /><br />J P Giles & E N Pfitzner "An Intermediate Lain Grammar with Exercises" Rigby Ltd 1954<br />J P Giles "An Intermediate Latin Reader" Rigby Ltd 1947<br />M D Gray & T Jenkins "Latin for Today - Book 1" Ginn & Co 1934<br />W King Gillies & F P Shepherd "Latin Grammar for Schools & Colleges" Oliver & Boyd 1934<br />M North & A Hillard "Latin Prose Composition for Schools" Rivingtons 1956<br />C Freeman "Selections from Ovid" OUP 1947<br />B Kennedy "Revised Latin Primer" Longman 1962<br />E Woodcock "A New Latin Syntax" Bristol Classic Press 1959<br />C T Lewis "Elementary Latin Dictionary" OUP 2002<br />E Kennedy "Latin Unseens from Roman History" Macmillan & Co 1959<br />C Robinson & P Hunter "Roma - A Reader for the Second Stage of Latin" CUP 1961<br />H Gould & J Whiteley "Selections from Five Roman Authors" (Nepos, Caesar, Sallust, Livy & Cicero" Macmillan & Co 1960<br />A Hillard & C Botting "Graduated Latin Selections" Rivingtons 1925<br />F Kinchin Smith & T Melluish "Catullus - Selections from the Poems" George Allen & Unwin 1946<br />T Page "Horace - Carminum Book II" Macmillan & Co 1953<br />T Page "Virgil - Georgics Book 1" Macmillan & Co 1952<br />H Waddell "Mediaeval Latin Lyrics" Penguin 1952<br />Plus about another 10 Penguin English translations of various Greek & Latin authors (which I am too lazy to list)<br /><br />Other related stuff<br /><br />J H Breasted "Ancient Times - A History of the Early World" Ginn & Co. 1916<br />A Petrie "An Introduction to Roman History, Literature and Antiquities" OUP 1938<br />J Zimmerman "Dictionary of Classical Mythology" Bantam 1966<br /><br />And last (but certainly not least) Anthony Trollope's delightful translation (or rather, a summary) of "The Commentaries of Caesar" published in 1877.<br /><br />And just remembered (my bedside reading):<br />H Flecker & D Macnutt "Complete Latin Course Book III" Longmans 1939<br />and the very useful "Via Vertendi - A Latin Unseen Course" by B Young (Longmans 1962)<br /><br />The last is a positive goldmine of information about translating tricky bits (the stuff you always get given in exams to trap the unwary)<br /><br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=463;start=15#3919 date=1060889022]<br />Also, Composition is very difficult stuff, if you want a quicker route to satisfaction you can always use the key as the exercises and the exercises as the key!<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Now there's an interesting idea! So then it's an exercise to translate Latin to English, which seems (to me) to be a little bit easier than translating from English to Latin. Well, that's how I feel when I'm working on those exercises.<br /><br />Is there a list of books which have separate keys available for them?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Oh by the way, I just received my copy of Moreland and Fleischer's Latin: An Intensive Course today! That was quicker than I expected. I'm so excited about this new addition. 8) I need to find a bookcover now...

ASim
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ASim »

I own, and plan on studying from/with/based on:<br /><br />Reading Greek (The Joint Association of Classics Teachers, Cambridge UP)<br /><br />which comes in two volumes, one text, the other grammar, exercises etc., and <br /><br />Kurzgefasste Griechische Schulgrammatik, by Adolf Kaegi (roughly translated: "Brief Greek Grammar for Students");<br /><br />Langenscheidt's Woerterbuch Griechisch-Deutsch (a German-Greek Dictionary).<br /><br />All of this is still copyrighted material, for all I know, and in the aggregate a far cry from what the dedicated collectors here can present.<br /><br />I will soon move to New York (City) and am looking forward to its used bookstores. Is anyone familiar with places that are strong on Greek and Latin books, as well as books on the B.C.E. Mediterranean world? Strand's, to my knowledge, although generally a fine store, leaves to wish in this area.<br /><br />-- Ansgar

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Kühner - is this the Kühner that influenced American scholars such as Hadley, Goodwin and Smyth.<br /><br />I'm trying to get a solid understanding of why grammars change over the course of time. For me, it's an interesting academic question.<br /><br />One of my favorite things to do when I get a new grammar is read the preface. There's always so much information to be gleamed because the authors always like to pay their respects to other works that have influenced their own.<br /><br />It seems that our modern understanding of Greek grammar has its start in German scholarship around 1840-1860.<br /><br />Is this true? and would you know specifically what concepts these German grammars introduced?<br />
<br /><br /><br />Yes, indeed, it's this Kühner I am talking about.<br />You have the same good habit as me. I also check bibliographies (or if there is none, the preface) of grammers and other books. So I can see which books they have used, that's a good reference. I am always very proud when I see a book in a biobliography, that I own too. <br />Kühner is very accurate and most of all complete. They went through all texts again and they give many quots from ancient authors. They re-analysed all the rules by looking at the ancient texts again. And it's always a good thing if you see an exemple with a rule. So it's like an inventory. The English grammers etc. just had to look in Kühner for knowing the exact place in the ancient texts for having a good exemple and so they did'nt have to read all the texts again. Kühner has also a good structure and he explains difficult rules in an easy way. I think it's also therefore that he influenced many others! It's about that time indeed that the classics had a sort of 'renaissance', I believe it's because they put the stress on the ancient sources again.

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Latin Grammars<br />Wheelock's Latin 6e<br /><br />Greek Grammars<br />Learn Ancient Greek

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Greek Grammars<br />Smyth, "Greek Grammar", rev. Messing<br />Chase & Phillips, "A New Introduction to Greek"<br />and a couple written in Korean(for Koine Greek)<br />P.S. and a Greek for travellers(modern) -- I'll check the title and author sooner or later<br /><br />Greek Dictionaries<br />Liddle & Scott, "Greek Lexicon"<br />Collins Pocket Greek Dictionary -- Greek-English/English-Greek(modern greek)<br /><br />Greek Readers<br />Koine:<br /> Septuaginta (Deutsche Bibel Geselschaft)<br /> Nestle-Alland, "Greek New Testament"<br />(For classical readers, I referred Perseus and finally led here :))<br />P.S. yum, I own a Perseus CD-ROM, which I rarely use, though.<br /><br />Latin Grammars<br />Wheelock, "Latin" 3rd ed.<br /><br />Latin Readers<br />(Online sources)<br /><br />Latin Dictionaries<br />Traupman, Latin-English/English Latin Dictionary, Bantam Books.<br /><br />

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I can now add "Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar" to my two book repetoire. By the end of this month I will have:<br /><br />Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar<br />Wheelock's Latin 6e<br />Allen Greenough's New Latin Grammar<br />Hebert Weir Smyth's Greek Grammar<br />Learn Greek Gammar (This book is remarkably remedial. Probably why it was 5.95... ;) )

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

More books still have arrived!<br /><br />I now have:<br /><br />Latin Grammars:<br />Wheelock's Latin 6e<br />Allen & Greenough's New Latin Grammar<br />Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar<br /><br />Greek Grammars:<br />Greek Grammar by Herbert Weir Smyth<br />Learn Greek Grammar<br /><br />I am so excited! <br />(I must seriously be the biggest nerd in :-\ existence... oh well! ;D)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

How do you like Gildersleeve? We'll be posting that one sometime next month.
Textkit Founder

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

To be honest, that post was preemptive, but I will be receiving the book within 20 minutes or so... ;) I knew it would be arriving today so I just decided to post it without complete regard for the truth... :o <br /><br />I let you know what I think of it as soon as it arrives and I get a good feel for the book. ;)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I know the feeling...<br /><br />Good luck with it!<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=6;threadid=463;start=30#4684 date=1061584115]<br />More books still have arrived!<br />I am so excited! <br />(I must seriously be the biggest nerd in :-\ existence... oh well! ;D)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />You aren't! I react the same way when I get new books! And I sometimes go looking for new books (hence the "prospecting in used bookstores") just for the rush! :o<br /><br />Kilmeny