Salvete! Novus homo sum!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete! Novus homo sum!

Post by bfeylia »

Hi my friends! My name is Paul Haverstock and I am so excited to have found this website! I won't go off on how cool this kind of resource is, except to say that I've never seen such an awesome classics website.<br />I am a student at the University of Kansas, beginning my Sophomore year in a week. My major is classical languages; I'm so excited about becoming well versed, and Deus-volens, fluent in Latin and Greek. I took 3 years of fairly intensive Latin in highschool (Wheelock's for 1.5 years, then "Aeneas to Augustus" <assorted Latin authors> and other supplemental books for another 1.5). For my first semester at KU I took Latin III (Catullus & Cicero) and Greek I (grammar). Second semester I continued in both languages, taking Greek Grammer II and Latin: Vergil's Aeneid. <br />I have a lot of passion for the languages. <br />Ok, now you know a bit about where I'm at. (Thanks for reading by the way :-))... Well, I was wondering what I should do at this point. This summer I didn't spend as much time as I needed to in either language: I got together with a friend once every couple of weeks to read/translate Herodotos, and I didn't do much latin to speak of.<br />I REALLY want to become fluent (or at least as close to fluent as one can become with a "dead" language) in Latin and Greek. I need to develop good study habits, though, and I guess I'm looking for a little inspiration, or a nudge in the right direction. If there are any here who could offer some advice about how to become more fluent (aside from simply saying "read"...if you could recommend what I ought to read, that would be so helpful).<br />Ago gratias vobis, Amici, for reading my post. I look forward to growing through this board, and helping others as I can.<br /><br />Avete atque Valete!<br />-Paul Haverstock<br /><br />P.S. If there is anyone here who goes to KU, I'd love to hang out, and do some good (i.e. greek/latin/quidquid videtur).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Re:Salvete! Novus homo sum!

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Paulus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#3864 date=1060813328]<br />I have a lot of passion for the languages. <br /><br />As do I, and welcome to Textkit! <br /><br />I REALLY want to become fluent (or at least as close to fluent as one can become with a "dead" language) in Latin and Greek. <br /><br />You've come to the right place, although there are some people here who will argue vehemently that Latin is very much alive... :)<br /><br />I need to develop good study habits, though, and I guess I'm looking for a little inspiration, or a nudge in the right direction. If there are any here who could offer some advice about how to become more fluent (aside from simply saying "read"...if you could recommend what I ought to read, that would be so helpful).<br /><br />I can't recommend what you should read, since I'm a beginner myself, but if you want a good place to practice, the "Agora" forum here is excellent-you're only allowed to speak in Latin or Greek, which is why I haven't posted in it yet. :'( <br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Again, welcome to Textkit, and Enjoy! <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit! <br /><br />Besides reading... have you poked your head into the Agora forum? It's where you can practice writing Latin. Respond to an existing thread, or post a brand new one of your own! I hope you enjoy your visit here.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

We can converse on one of your many instant messaging programs as well, although you seem a bit more advanced than I ;o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Hi, Paul, and welcome aboard! <br /><br />Course-wise, I think I'm in about the same place you are in Latin, though I'm very rusty in Greek.... And then Benissimus says he thinks you're ahead of him, and I think that he's got a jump on me, so..... <br /><br />I'm also at the "how do I get better now" stage in the Latin-learning journey, and am doing the "read" thing. I jumped in on Cicero's "De Officiis", which I'm suspecting was probably a little heavier than I was ready for - but it's been a great learning tool! I'm now reading some of Horace's satires in preparation for a course this fall. One thing became crystal clear in doing this.... I was pretty comfortable with Cicero when I jumped into Horace, and felt like I'd suddenly lost a whack of what I'd learned. The different writing styles (as well as the prose vs poetry!) really threw me for a bit. Based on that, I'd guess that reading a wide variety of authors would be a good idea....<br /><br />This is probably a mite on the obvious side... Have you asked a prof for suggestions on what to read/do? If so, what was the answer? I'd like to hear that!<br /><br />Again, welcome, and you're right, this is a terrific place to hang out!<br /><br />Kilmeny Jones

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

Thank you all for the kind greeting! I appreciate the warm welcome and advice. I'm packing up for college tonight and I'll be settled in by tomorrow evening hopefully, when I shall visit the "agora" (quite an exciting prospect).<br />I look forward to getting to know you all better, and braving the classical world as a band of confederates.<br /><br />Xairete!<br />Paulus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Paulus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#3929 date=1060905550]<br />Xairete!<br />Paulus<br />[/quote]<br /><br />What does "Xairete" mean? Is it the expression Aemilus is looking for over in the Greek forum? (Don't laugh at me; I'm still a beginner.) <br /><br />Keesa

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#3961 date=1060951804]<br />What does "Xairete" mean? Is it the expression Aemilus is looking for over in the Greek forum? (Don't laugh at me; I'm still a beginner.) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />He's saying "aloha" in Greek.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Haha. "aloha." Hello and good-bye :D<br /><br />an afterthought: I wonder if the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland would make any sense in Greek. "No time to say hello good-bye..."
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#3984 date=1060966392]<br />Haha. "aloha." Hello and good-bye :D<br /><br />an afterthought: I wonder if the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland would make any sense in Greek. "No time to say hello good-bye..."<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Benissimus, between this and your poll, I begin to wonder if you're sleep deprived!<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Fortasse pauca signa sapientiae lucent per iram meam? :-\ <br /><br />Yes, I am without sleep, but those were written at much different times, both in sleepy states. I just wanna talk Latin and Greek! *bangs hand on table*

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#3991 date=1060972945]<br />Fortasse pauca signa sapientiae lucent per ira mea? :-\ <br /><br />Yes, I am without sleep, but those were written at much different times, both in sleepy states. I just wanna talk Latin and Greek! *bangs hand on table*<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Ira? Habesne iram? <br /><br />Latina lingua tua maxime bona est. Conserva mensam!<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

oops, replace ira with furor. MADNESS! :)

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#4018 date=1060979403]<br />oops, replace ira with furor. MADNESS! :)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Bene! Salve ad collegium!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Paulus, welcome. veni per portam nostram! <br /><br />As you may have already observed, this forum is littered with Alice-and-Wonderland-Charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-1967-all-nighter freaks. But I am not thus. I read Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge all night. <br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=0#4026 date=1060980323]<br />Paulus, welcome. veni per portam nostram! <br /><br />As you may have already observed, this forum is littered with Alice-and-Wonderland-Charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory-1967-all-nighter freaks. But I am not thus. I read Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge all night. <br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />hahaha...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Damn internet sarcasm not detected!

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

Again, thank you kindly for your witty (and, erm...nice attempts) ;-) remarks. I've just gotten settled in here at KU, and I'm really looking forward to the new year. Most of all, I'm glad that there are so many cool people on this forum!<br />Merci!<br /><br />-Paulus Haverstocorum

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Is your name actually thus: Haverstocorum ?<br /><br />Nice piece of genitive there ;)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

it looks like he's latinized his name... I'd imagine the english version is Haverstock or something along those lines ;)<br /><br />"Paul of the Haverstocks" funky.<br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Alors, one never knows! Are plenty of people called Victoria Agnusque :D<br /><br />

bfeylia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bfeylia »

;D :D Hehe. Yes, it would be Haverstock in the English. Isn't Latin great?!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I think it's neat that my name ends with an "a"-I can already decline it! I can't decline Colette's yet; I'm not that advanced. :'( However, I will be soon! <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=469;start=15#4131 date=1061075978]<br />I think it's neat that my name ends with an "a"-I can already decline it! I can't decline Colette's yet; I'm not that advanced. :'( However, I will be soon! <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well, first Colette will have to decide on a name! Coletta perhaps?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Now, I could decline Coletta...at least, up through the ablative. I think Dr. D'Ooge promised me that that was the last of the cases in the A-declension, but I'm always worried that he's going to throw another one at me...the dative and the ablative? I never knew they existed. ;D<br /><br />Keesa<br /><br />Edit: <br /><br />Actually, I can decline the Latin form of her name; Colette is a form of an old French (I think tis French...I might have to check my linguistic history there...) word that means "little girl", and the Latin for little girl (Puella Parva) just happens to be in the A-declension... :D

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The true equivalent of "Coletta" would actually be puellula, since "Coletta" is a diminutive. Diminutive pretty much means the same thing, but has a nuance of affection.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=469;start=15#4158 date=1061080905]<br />The true equivalent of "Coletta" would actually be puellula, since "Coletta" is a diminutive. Diminutive pretty much means the same thing, but has a nuance of affection.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I can decline that, too!

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

There are days (many of them!) that I'm very glad to have a really weird name ending in a -y..... You can't decline "Kilmeny", either, and since no one that I know of has ever been able to come up with a meaning for it, that's out of the question, too! The joys of being indeclinable! <br /><br />Kilmeny

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

"Kilmeny" is certainly a beautiful name. It almost sounds more Gaelic than Canadian, but what do I know? I've only just started Gaelic...although, I read a lot of fantasy with Celtic influences. Does that count? :D<br /><br />Keesa