Latin For Beginners, Benjamin L. D'Ooge

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Latin For Beginners, Benjamin L. D'Ooge

Post by Episcopus »

Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase this book from? <br /><br />Please, it is the best grammar I have seen; however I cannot <br />possibly print out all 358 pages :(<br /><br />Moreover a proper book would be much better.<br /><br />Thankyou in advance!

dwight
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Latin For Beginners, Benjamin L. D'Ooge

Post by dwight »

Try searching at abebooks.com: I saw at least three bookstores with copies. abe is for advanced book exchange. It provides connections to used book stores from all over the world.<br />Dwight

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Thanks for the tip. I found the PDF file here on this site and will try to work through it. <br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#828 date=1055624441]<br />Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase this book from? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Have you tried searching on Alibris ? http://www.alibris.com

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#828 date=1055624441]<br />Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase this book from? [/quote]<br /><br />I found a copy of BLD for sale on eBay, currently no bids, starting bid is 2.95 USD.<br />You might try asking the person how much shipping to UK would be.<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=378<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hmm-this may interest you. <br /><br />I did a book search for "Latin for Beginners, Benjamin L. D'Ooge" on Amazon.com, and didn't find it, but I did find a book called "Latin Super Review", by Benjamin L. D'Ooge. I didn't know he had written other books, but apparently he did! <br /><br />Keesa

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Episcopus,<br />With some printers you can choose to print several pages onto one sheet of paper. I printed the exercises from the book on my Canon i320 at 9 pages per sheet, and it took roughly 21 pages in total. Much better than a few hundred :)<br /><br />Perhaps you could check your printer settings.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=tdominus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3777 date=1060761582]<br />I printed the exercises from the book on my Canon i320 at 9 pages per sheet<br />[/quote]<br /><br />How large was the print? <br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

mariek, thanks!<br /><br />Times have passed and I have recently been able to print great abundances of pages; but also the very kind Jeff has sold me his copy of this legendary book ;) in the most suped-up packaging que I have ever seen!<br /><br />However I'll purchase a second copy for sure! <br /><br />And Keesa :o I shall look into that :o

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Something I've found myself doing is printing out the book selectively.... When I only print the pages I'll need for that day's study, it seems as though I'm not really printing out all that much. Eventually, I imagine I'll get through the whole book in this way-all 358 pages! <br /><br />Keesa

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3779 date=1060771941]<br />How large was the print? <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br />I found the print quite readable. <br /><br />If I knew the "master password" to the .pdf file I could create a pdf copy of the book with 9 pages per sheet. <br /><br />Even printing 2 pages per sheet would, of course, half the number of sheets of paper.<br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=tdominus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3777 date=1060761582]<br />I printed the exercises from the book on my Canon i320 at 9 pages per sheet[/quote]<br /><br />If I understand you correctly, you print 9 pages per side? So you get 18 pages on one sheet (9 pages on the front, 9 pages on the back)??<br /><br />I'm trying to imagine how small the print must be. I assume you're using Letter sized paper, aronud 8.5 inch x 11 inch? (or 21.6 cm x 27.9 cm, for the benefit of our Metric system users :) ). And you can read this without the aid of a magnifying glass? Or are you merely accustomed to reading very very very very fine print à la Compact Oxford English Dictionary (which comes with a magnifying glass so you can READ it!)?<br /><br />The most my eyes would tolerate would be 2 pages per sheet. So from now on I'm caling you Bugs (Bunny) ... you must be eating all your carrots and then some! ;)<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Hey mariek, you don't want that Latin For Beginners then? <br /><br />If so just tell me for I already have one, if not I'll buy that! ;)

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3835 date=1060796326]<br />[quote author=tdominus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3777 date=1060761582]<br />I printed the exercises from the book on my Canon i320 at 9 pages per sheet[/quote]<br /><br />If I understand you correctly, you print 9 pages per side? So you get 18 pages on one sheet (9 pages on the front, 9 pages on the back)??<br /><br />I'm trying to imagine how small the print must be. I assume you're using Letter sized paper, aronud 8.5 inch x 11 inch? (or 21.6 cm x 27.9 cm, for the benefit of our Metric system users :) ). And you can read this without the aid of a magnifying glass? Or are you merely accustomed to reading very very very very fine print à la Compact Oxford English Dictionary (which comes with a magnifying glass so you can READ it!)?<br /><br />The most my eyes would tolerate would be 2 pages per sheet. So from now on I'm caling you Bugs (Bunny) ... you must be eating all your carrots and then some! ;)<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /> ;D<br /><br />Well, I suppose the only way you could know if you could read it at that size is by trying it. I have to hold the paper close but it is not as small as one might expect.<br /><br />Yes, an A4 sheet. Try it and see!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3838 date=1060797137]<br />Hey mariek, you don't want that Latin For Beginners then? <br />If so just tell me for I already have one, if not I'll buy that! ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Now why in the world would you want two copies of the same book when you can better allocate those funds to buy a book you don't already have? Maybe a dictionary as Kilmeny suggested. ;)<br /><br />I'm still contemplating putting in a bid for it. In a way, it would be nice to work from a real book rather than printouts. Here's what I have discovered about the book: it belonged to the Euclid Public Library in Ohio; it is 5.25" x 7.5"; the cover is firmly attached; there are no missing or torn pages; there is some writing in the book, in both pen and pencil; and the book has no scent.<br /><br />(You better sit down for this one) I'm thinking of going over to the Dark Side, that is, switching over to the Moreland and Fleischer book. I already placed my order for it and am impatiently awaiting its arrival next week. <br /><br />Well, if you're serious about picking up a second copy of this book, let me know and I will refrain from bidding at all. After all, there's no point in me driving up the bid price for you. ;)<br /><br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=173;start=0#3916 date=1060881372]<br /> I'm thinking of going over to the Dark Side, that is, switching over to the Moreland and Fleischer book. I already placed my order for it and am impatiently awaiting its arrival next week. <br /><br /><br />[/color]<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Well you know how I feel about that, but with my somewhat explicit posting manner already I can not express myself thus as I'd like. All I say is that as you progress you become able to say so many things, I shall stay with one book and you can leave to study whichever you wish - then we shall compare our Latin. good luck<br /><br /><br />You're right, I'll buy another book instead. I'd like a Beginners Ancient Greek grammar actually - with exercises, vocabulary like Latin For Beginners.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

>>Now why in the world would you want two copies of the same book (Mariek)<br /><br />To give them a good home, and protect them from abuse by those unable to appreciate the sublime teaching style of D'Ooge? ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3941 date=1060926285]<br />To give them a good home, and protect them from abuse by those unable to appreciate the sublime teaching style of D'Ooge? ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Stop mocking. He is great and all that you do is mock him. Why? Were you a beginner in July and had you studied D'Ooge thereafter you would actually appreciate it.<br /><br />I was reading the book until 4am last night, quite late for a child <br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Have you only been studying since July, Episcopus? I'm impressed...and encouraged! Believe me, if I become (semi)fluent in Latin that quickly, I will join you in hailing Dr. D'Ooge as the greatest textbook writer ever to write in Latin. (Although I refuse to worship him.) ;) <br /><br />Keesa

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3953 date=1060947852]<br />Have you only been studying since July, Episcopus? I'm impressed...and encouraged! Believe me, if I become (semi)fluent in Latin that quickly, I will join you in hailing Dr. D'Ooge as the greatest textbook writer ever to write in Latin. (Although I refuse to worship him.) ;) <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />haha... just a few weeks ago I was laughing at Episcopus for calling me fluent! Hmm... he is catching up at an alarming rate though...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3954 date=1060948251]<br />Hmm... he is catching up at an alarming rate though...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Better study that textbook! Latin won't learn itself! ;)<br /><br />Keesa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3954 date=1060948251]<br />[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3953 date=1060947852]<br />Have you only been studying since July, Episcopus? I'm impressed...and encouraged! Believe me, if I become (semi)fluent in Latin that quickly, I will join you in hailing Dr. D'Ooge as the greatest textbook writer ever to write in Latin. (Although I refuse to worship him.) ;) <br /><br />Keesa<br />[/quote]<br /><br />haha... just a few weeks ago I was laughing at Episcopus for calling me fluent! Hmm... he is catching up at an alarming rate though...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Keesa on 18th July after my last day of school (Alton Towers) that was when I could start properly on the book, 30 minutes a day! To remember things is not to overload the brain :)<br /><br />benissime I call you fluent - as fluent as they come ;)<br />The compliments saying that I actually am learning something help in that they convince me that I am not insane thinking that I am actually getting somewhere, however I can confidently say that I still SUCK at Latin and am still a beginner - no one can argue with that :D<br /><br />In 10 days I will go to France and I love that damn country; French language and filles chaudes shall be the order of the day and le latin devra rester à la maison pendant une semaine :-[ mais j'ai déjà préparé un lit pour le meilleur livre au monde :D<br /><br />A mixture of joy, sadness and necessity: the third being explained by the fact that I move onto the 3rd declension in 7 pages. :o

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3981 date=1060963765]<br />A mixture of joy, sadness and necessity: the third being explained by the fact that I move onto the 3rd declension in 7 pages. :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Don't worry about the 3rd declension, really. I've actually become quite fond of it..........<br /><br />Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I second that! 3rd is essential and lovely, although I find 4th to be the most fun, as I have said before ;)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

In my mind I can NOT accept that a genetive should be anything other than ae, arum; i, orum ???<br /><br />pater, patris : I take that as abl/dat plural...It's strange whatever I may do...

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Pay attention to the almight macron (while you still have it :P)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#4006 date=1060977790]<br />Pay attention to the almight macron (while you still have it :P)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Excellent point. <br /><br />Solely because of its being interesting, in the Cambridge Latin Course textbooks, macrons do be in great abundance. However, in the OCR (Oxford Cambridge British Examination board - ask me not what the R stands for!) GCSE (British BIG DEAL national tests for official qualifications) test papers, macrons are not used. <br /><br />I think this to be unfair. Macrons are great and necessary. I loves macronses. (is that the first occasion on which I have said "are" instead of ''be''? :D

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#3999 date=1060976817]<br />In my mind I can NOT accept that a genetive should be anything other than ae, arum; i, orum ???<br /><br />pater, patris : I take that as abl/dat plural...It's strange whatever I may do...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Relax!! look at that plural genitive! It ends in "um". Therefore the 3rd declension is very similar, just taking a short-cut!<br /><br />The "is" in the genitive singular does take a bit to get used to, but you will (honest!) quickly find yourself not confusing it. And you will get very used to good old "ibus" in place of "is" for dat/abl plural. It's just a matter of practise, and not as much as you might think. You've exploded into Latin literacy over the past month and a bit, so there's no possible way that you'll find this a pain for long. (Imagine cheerleaders here.....)<br /><br />It helps that more words are 3rd declension than are in the others, and the sentence structure quickly tells you which case you need. You'll be FINE!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yeah I've done the damn passive indic of all tenses I'll be fine!<br /><br />Has one seen the amount of words in english coming CHEAPLY out of Latin Perfect Passive Participle!! <br /><br />mmm...cheerleaders

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=173;start=15#4019 date=1060979419]<br />Has one seen the amount of words in english coming CHEAPLY out of Latin Perfect Passive Participle!! <br />[/quote]<br />Yes! take the 'tum' off the end, at 'tion' instead, and voila! An English word!<br /><br />It's hilarious!<br /><br />Kilmeny

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Capt -------> us you're off mate ;)<br /><br />caption - a take ;) <br /><br />narration...<br /><br />Nice trick! <br /><br />Colloqui -al is a good one

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

try adding -or to the end... usually end up with a Latin word that is also an English word o_°

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Adding an "n" to all those 3rd declension -tio words works, too, come to think of it.<br /><br />ratio -> ration<br />optio -> option<br />ambitio -> ambition<br /><br />etc.....<br /><br />The only side effect is that they look SO much like the English that you can be lulled into a false sense of security, and not realize that the meaning has changed slightly......<br /><br />Kilmeny