Pardon my senility!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Zeus the Goddess
Textkit Neophyte

Pardon my senility!

Post by Zeus the Goddess »

I blame it for why I have not been introduced.<br /><br />Greek I am learning to decipher that famous passage of Homer concerning names of places and how many men and ships they had and too many names of generals to remember afterwards. A passage so tedious and yet a part of our great literature surely must hold some secret!<br /><br />You who know me from the Academy, you also know of my relationship with donuts and maybe fish.<br /><br />And this is the last you will hear of me outside that philosopher-place<br /><br />Z.T.G.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:Pardon my senility!

Post by Raya »

Hi, and good to see you back! ;)<br /><br />Are you referring to the Catalogue of Ships? You know, I always thought there had to be more to it myself - I mean, to us modern readers it might seem unspeakably dull, but surely the Greeks must have felt it had some significant purpose...

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Pardon my senility!

Post by Milito »

Well, doesn't the catalog of ships also say who sailed in them and where they came from? This would let future city-states point to the list and say "See? We were THERE!" Pride in ancestry and all that....... I imagine that if you left one of the ships out, and someone from, or with ancestors from, that particular city heard you, he'd have a thing or two to say about it.....<br /><br />Kilmeny