Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar Study Group

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
anakainosis
Textkit Neophyte

Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar Study Group

Post by anakainosis »

Hello all,

Is there any interest or plans on starting a study group in Mounce’s BBG grammar, second edition?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

There are currently no plans for such a list right now.

If someone came forward offering to run a BBG list, we could of course set that up easily.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

I'll join if you start one :D

Track One or Two?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

annis wrote:There are currently no plans for such a list right now.

If someone came forward offering to run a BBG list, we could of course set that up easily.
I am more than willing to help with correcting the exercises, but it would be nice to have someone else as well.
If there is enough interest in starting a study group, but no other guide comes forward, then I'm willing to give it a go by my self.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Bert, I'm still interested, I'd try to help correcting the exercises, but I'm not sure how faithful I could be. One more part timer and perhaps we could get one started. I suppose after we said we were going to do it others would enlist.

arslongus
Textkit Neophyte

Mounce Group

Post by arslongus »

Hello:

I'm not sure how many are needed, but I would be interested in a Mounce group as well. I went through Mounce about 3 years ago, and could use a refresher trip back through the book.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Hang tight arslongus, we're working on something.

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Machen or Mounce

Post by Kat Doe »

I want to work through Machen, but am willing to do Mounce alongside it.

I'm really committed to mastering some Koine this Fall. I don't want to study Attic right now because of the lack of audio resources available, and I've found it imperative that I consistently speak Greek to progress through a book.

I have the 1st edition of Mounce but am willing to buy the second one too, if the group looks like a sure thing.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Machen or Mounce

Post by Bert »

If there are any others interested, please speak up. :)
Kat Doe wrote:
I have the 1st edition of Mounce but am willing to buy the second one too, if the group looks like a sure thing.
There is no need to get another grammar. The first and the second are close enough. There is a big difference in the workbook.
If a group were to materialize, we need to have the same workbook.
Unless everyone has the 1st allready, it'll have to be the 2nd because that is the only one that is available.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Mounce has a file listing the differences in the Grammar in detail.

"Microsoft Word file listing the basic differences between the first and second editions" - http://www.teknia.com/index.php?page=te ... herspacket

If any discrepencies arise in editions we could post the "rewrites" so that anyone could see how it is explained differently (a sentence here or there).

I have both editions and both workbooks. Either one works for me.

Allan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Allan »

Hi all, I am interested in a Mounce study group :D . I have both book and workbook in the second edition. When do you think one will start?

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Mounce Participant

Post by rustymason »

Count me in for the Mounce study group.

Rusticus

arslongus
Textkit Neophyte

number needed to start?

Post by arslongus »

What kind of critical mass are we looking for here? 10? 12?
I can twist a few arms to see if there is any interest. How many do we have at this point?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: number needed to start?

Post by Bert »

arslongus wrote:What kind of critical mass are we looking for here? 10? 12?
I can twist a few arms to see if there is any interest. How many do we have at this point?
We may not have reached a maximum yet but I think we have reached critical mass. :)
Geoff is going to get in contact with Paul (and Will, okay Geoff?).
We'll start probably in mid October.
We don't have any beside the ones who have posted here.

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Version Schmerzion

Post by rustymason »

I have the 1993 versions of the book and workbook which I assume are versions 1 (since they don't say). Let me know if I need to get versions 2.

Rusticus

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Version Schmerzion

Post by Bert »

rustymason wrote:I have the 1993 versions of the book and workbook which I assume are versions 1 (since they don't say). Let me know if I need to get versions 2.

Rusticus
Yes. That's first edition. Second edition will have that written on the cover.
I don't think it is necessary to get the seconc edition of the grammar.
The first one will work just fine.
You won't be able to do it without the second edition of the work book though. (unless everybody has the first edion.)

arslongus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by arslongus »

[quote="Kat Doe"]I want to work through Machen, but am willing to do Mounce alongside it.

Believe me, you want to use Mounce instead of Machen. For those not in a class, Machen is really tough sledding...
Mounce is very easy to follow, and he will have you reading the NT.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Machen is a good textbook; but its rough outside of a classroom with a good teacher. His strengths are the exercises and the clarity in the use of accents. Maybe a beginning beginner shouldn't look at it, but it would be good for most students to plow through sometime. Kat could do it. In a good group Machen would be possible.

I'm with you though, Mounce first for the auto-didact. It slows hair loss and improves blood pressure levels.

Geoff

jeffcockrell
Textkit Neophyte

BBG STudy

Post by jeffcockrell »

I would like to be included in the BBG Study Group.

Jeff Cockrell

Peter Kirby
Textkit Neophyte

me too

Post by Peter Kirby »

I would like to participate in the BBG study.

kind thoughts,
Peter Kirby

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kat Doe »

arslongus wrote:Believe me, you want to use Mounce instead of Machen. For those not in a class, Machen is really tough sledding...
Mounce is very easy to follow, and he will have you reading the NT.
I'll be OK with Machen for at least 1/3 of the book. I've been at Greek for a few years with a variety of books. I started out homeschooling my son who wanted to maybe go to university for a classics degree. He decided it was too much work, took the GED, and decided to start at a junior college a year early instead. He loves the classics, but is too lazy to do the work involved :-0

Anyway, I'm at the point where I really need what Machen has to offer. I really want to master accents and a consistent pronunciation at this point.

Also I cannot master ANY grammar concepts with Mounce as I can guess all the translations :-( My mom was a recovering drug addict when I was a kid and found Jesus. I spent a good part of my childhood sleeping under church pews and coffee tables hearing the scriptures quoted till the wee hours of the morning.

The "Mastering New Testament Greek" software and the kiddie "Hey Andew Teach Me Some Greek" fills in a lot of the teacher missing holes in Machen for me. I've also dabbled with a LOT of Mounce already and quite a bit of Dobson as well as some other stuff.

I'm DEFINATELY good to go for the first 1/3 of Machen, and I know to do that will be good for me. If I have to stop at that point and just do Mounce before going back to it, that's OK. Nothing will have been wasted by doing the first 1/3 of the book.

I need to compose in Greek right now as one of my primary goals.

Eventually I would like to teach ancient Greek to low income students. I need to become ultra comfortable speaking and writing in Greek as I will need to be able to make up my own materials to meet their needs.

I like to use these modern language guidelines to help me set goals, as well as the usual classical language goals of translation.
http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/actfl.htm

Sometimes I'm wrong, but most of the time I get good results from trusting my gut and using whatever book I think is best at the time for my current priority.

stuartfloyd
Textkit Neophyte

How Does It Work?

Post by stuartfloyd »

I am interested.

Is there a FAQ for how this study group might work? I am familiar with the study groups at nxport. Do we send in assignments and receive collations?

Thanks

Fitzwilliam Darcy
Textkit Neophyte

Mounce Study Group

Post by Fitzwilliam Darcy »

:arrow: Please put me on the list for the Mounce group as well.

I have Mounce's second edition and the workbook too.

Thank you,

Fitzwilliam Darcy

kabirhelm
Textkit Neophyte

BBG Study

Post by kabirhelm »

Please include me in the BBG study.
Thank you.
Kabirhelm

StephenD
Textkit Neophyte

Mounce Group

Post by StephenD »

I'd like to be involved in this study group also. Thanks!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

..........................................STOP.........................................
Now that I have your attention, I think we have reached the point where we have to put a stop to anymore participants.
I haven't heard back from Geoff what his idea of a maximum amount is but I think this is about it.
I'm surpriced at the amount of interest in this group.
When I first indicated that I would be willing to help out with a study group, Geoff also offered to help but no one came forward to be participant.
So, instead I am helping out with a Pharr group.
I asked Geoff if he is willing to be the main contact person for the Mounce group, but he said that after his move his internet access maybe kind of shaky.
In the Pharr-c group we've had quite a few late starters to take the place of those who dropped out.
That worked out okay but it does take extra time for some of us.
Seeing that some of my time is used in the Pharr-c group and I tutor 2 groups at home, I don't want to have to spend the extra time getting someone up to speed as a late starter.
The upshot of this is: No one will be accepted after we have declared the list closed.
There. That bit of dirty business is out of the way.
If you don't have the text or workbook yet should get them.
It will have to be the second edition workbook.
You will have very few problems using the first edition textbook though.
You can likely get a used copy of it on ebay.
We will post further details in due time.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

We're hammering out the details and hopefully have some "official" news tuesday. If there is enough interest there could be two separate groups going simultaneously. If anyone wants to take part in whatever is involved with "running" the groups please step forward and I'm sure we can find something for you to do.

Geoff

Sheila
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sheila »

I read on the greekstudy list that a new Mounce group might be starting up. Is it already closed? When I was in a previous group, I had to drop out around chapter 23, and would like to give it another try.

If the group is closed, is there a way I could lurk until someone drops out?

Thanks,
Sheila

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Mounce Workbook on Bookfinder

Post by rustymason »

www.bookfinder.com has several listings for Mounce's 2nd edition book (ISBN 0310250870) and workbook (ISBN 0310250862).

Rusticus

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kat Doe »

When it rains it pours I guess :-)

Nothing like September to get everyone all fired up to start a textbook :-)

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Sheila wrote:
If the group is closed, is there a way I could lurk until someone drops out?

Thanks,
Sheila
Hi Sheila. That sounds like a good compromise.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

If you are planning to purchase the book soon, use the textkit support page

http://www.textkit.com/support.php

Thanks

Kat Doe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kat Doe »

I don't see the workbook being offered or the flashcards or the plastic grammar review sheets.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Kat Doe wrote:I don't see the workbook being offered or the flashcards or the plastic grammar review sheets.
Grammar: http://www.textkit.com/0_0310250870.html
Workbook: http://www.textkit.com/0_0310250862.html
Flashcards: http://www.textkit.com/0_0310259878.html
Review Sheet: http://www.textkit.com/0_0310262941.html

I believe that is what you are looking for.

rogersbre
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rogersbre »

Hi - I would be interested in participating in a BBG study group.

Brenda

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

rogersbre wrote:Hi - I would be interested in participating in a BBG study group.

Brenda
June 21 I first volunteered my time as guide and Geoff right after that. No one came forward till Aug 22 and now we have more than we can handle. :)

You either have to look from the side-lines and when someone drops out (almost inevitable) you could take that ones place.
The other option is (an)other guide(s) coming forward.
If one more 'shows up' we could divide the commenting duties but if we get two more, we could split into two seperate groups.
Any one out there?

Tracy
Textkit Neophyte

BBG Study Group Opportunity

Post by Tracy »

Hello :D I am new to Textkit. I noticed on the B-Greek site the mention of a study group for Mouces BBG and found my way here. I might be too late, but I am very interested in participating in the BBG study group.

Additionally, if anyone could guide me toward anything additional I need to participate adequately at this site, it would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.
Tracy

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Hi Tracy

Post by rustymason »

Welcome Tracy. I don't know what's up with the Mounce study group. I responded to an invitation to join, but haven't heard anything else since. Perhaps we are waiting for some teaching help.

Tracy
Textkit Neophyte

Rustymason

Post by Tracy »

Thank you for welcoming me.

I found my way to prior posts and Bert mentions an overload of interest in the study group and that once it was closed it was closed. That may be the delay in response you're experiencing.

I'm patient. If another group is started at a later date, hopefully I won't be a latecomer at signing up. :) If we could monitor the group that would be great too, but until then, we might be waiting a while. 8)

Tracy

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

rustymason wrote: I don't know what's up with the Mounce study group. I responded to an invitation to join, but haven't heard anything else since. Perhaps we are waiting for some teaching help.
Sorry for the lack of information.
We are planning to start Oct. 17. That is still a month away so I was in no hurry to make any announcements (Oops.)
You will receive more information in due time.
Tracy wrote: I found my way to prior posts and Bert mentions an overload of interest in the study group and that once it was closed it was closed. That may be the delay in response you're experiencing.

I'm patient. If another group is started at a later date, hopefully I won't be a latecomer at signing up. If we could monitor the group that would be great too, but until then, we might be waiting a while.
We did have a lot of interested people but not all of them have signed up yet. I posted the info page + some additional information on the "Time to sign up for the mounce-a group" thread.
I have only had prior experience with 2 other study groups.
They quickly dwindled in size in a matter of a few weeks so if you had to sit and watch for a while, it would likely not be for very long.
Geoff was quite optimistic about the possibility of having two groups.
That sounds like a good idea but it would require one or two more guides to come forward. I am not that confident of that happening.