nearing 100,000! - how about an online contest?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

nearing 100,000! - how about an online contest?

Post by Jeff Tirey »

For me 100,000 downloads is a nice and noteworthy benchmark and I'm thinking some sort of 'celebration' event is in order. <br /><br />I would like to write a register to win contest. It'll be free to enter (with a newsletter subscription of course!) and the winner will receive free books that we'll mail to them - we'll ship world-wide.<br /><br />For Textkit, the contest should serve as an interesting way to bring attention to the site during the start of the fall term. For visitors it will be something that's fun.<br /><br />There will be both a Greek and Latin Winner.<br /><br />I'm dontating for Greek:<br /><br />Tutti Verbi, Goodwin's Greek Grammar, Liddel & Scott Lexicon<br /><br />For Latin:<br /><br />A&G's New Latin Grammar, Caesar's Gallic War in Latin, Latin Dictionary.<br /><br />If anyone has a grammar or reader that they would like to donate to the pot, please PM me to make the arrangements. It would be very nice to have a nice box of books to send to someone.<br /><br />I would like to start the contest September 1st. and run it for about 30 days. We'll make the announcement of the winners through the newsletter.<br /><br />Jeff<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:nearing 100,000! - how about an online contest?

Post by mariek »

<br />Cool! Wow, 100,000 downloads ... that's A LOT! I guess there isn't a way to give the user a popup message informing them that they've just made the 100,000th download for the site? <br /><br />Sounds like a fun way to promote the site.<br /><br />I guess we won't have a Textkit t-shirt ready to throw into the Prize Pot in time for the drawing.<br /><br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Textkit is great but I never expected 100,000 downloads! Incredible!<br /><br />I will leave now I don't know what to say! :o<br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

There's a download count on the homepage that keeps tracks - perhaps's Beginner's Latin Book will be the 100K? ;D<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Now let's not give any*Episcopus*one ideas about eating up bandwith and repeatedly downloading Dr. Benjamin L. D'Ooge's great work..... ;) <br /><br />Do you have specific numbers for each book? I'm curious to know how many times Goodwin's Greek Grammar has been downloaded, and how that compares to the other 9 books in that list..<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Of course! We log all downloads. I'll PM you the top 20 download count.<br /><br />I don't share the specific download counts on the site because I don't want to encourage anyone from clicking on their favorite download just to bump the book higher in the list.
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=jeff link=board=6;threadid=465;start=0#3841 date=1060799232]<br />Of course! We log all downloads. I'll PM you the top 20 download count.<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Please to me too ;D <br /><br />I promise - downloading Latin For Beginners would just eat up bandwidth = disrespect to textkit.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Um... maybe it's just because it's late here, but I can't quite see how this contest is supposed to work. I mean, what are contestants meant to *do*? Or has that not been figured out yet...

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Raya: it'll just be a simple register to win. Anyone who wants to enter will complete a simple form and we'll randomly choose a winner.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Is it open to existing members, or only those who join after a certain date?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I like to keep things very simple - so it'll be open to anyone who is a newsletter subscriber and it doesn't matter when a visitor subscribed.<br /><br />The subscription requirement 'might' help increase subscriptions - but they real reason is that it'll help prevent abuse.
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

So, when will I be able to register? ;) <br /><br />Keesa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I'll write the script shortly. I want to time it closer to the 100K mark.
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

The contest is running live on the site. You can find it at the top of the right vertical column on any Textkit page except the forum area.<br /><br />Any book donations are most welcome!<br /><br />If you spot a problem with the script (there are lots of triggers for validating the entry) please report them to me directly using the contact page.<br /><br />thanks and have fun entering!
Textkit Founder

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Script works great! <br />