Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Nvnc vide:tis quantvm scelvs contra: rem pv:blicam et le:ge:s nostra:s vo:bi:s pro:nu:ntia:tum sit.<br /><br />I got something to the effect of:<br /><br />Now you see how much sin against the republic and against our laws has been proclaimed to you.<br /><br />This sounds funky to me...<br />Please, somebody help.

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Re:Translation difficulty, Pars Secunda

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I also do not know what this sentence means:<br /><br />Videa:mvs vter hi:c in medio: foro: plv:s scri:bere possit.

Maria
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Maria »

Here are a few ideas about your sentences....<br /><br />Sentence 1:<br />Scelus=crime<br />Pronuntio=I proclaim, announce<br />Pronuntiatum sit = 3rd person sg/perfect passive subj.<br />Vobis - could this be dative [to you not by you]?<br /><br />Sentence 2<br />Videamus= subjunctive - try Let us see<br />uter=which if two<br />Possit=3rd person sg/present active subjunctive<br /><br />Hope these ideas help you get further along....

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I think a have a good idea as to what the second sentence means - as little sense as it makes:<br /><br />Let us seem which can write more in the middle of the marketplace.<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=0#3731 date=1060730287]<br />Nvnc vide:tis quantvm scelvs contra: rem pv:blicam et le:ge:s nostra:s vo:bi:s pro:nu:ntia:tum sit.<br /><br />I got something to the effect of:<br /><br />Now you see how much sin against the republic and against our laws has been proclaimed to you.<br /><br />This would perhaps make more sense as: "Now you see how much wrongdoing against the republic and our laws was proclaimed to you." This sentence doesn't seem too off, just keep in mind that we are speaking a language more confusingly archaic than Shakespeare and not everything is going to sound exactly right :) <br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=0#3735 date=1060731211]<br />I also do not know what this sentence means:<br /><br />Videa:mvs vter hi:c in medio: foro: plv:s scri:bere possit.<br /><br />Let us see, here in the middle of the forum, which (either) could write more. <br /><br />Let us seem which can write more in the middle of the marketplace.<br /><br />You confused the subjunctive videamus with the passive subjunctive videamur.<br />[/quote]
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Lumen-et-umbra, perhaps you could tell us where your sentences come from? At a guess, I would say Cicero's Catiline Orations. But anyway, I think the more of a context one has, the easier it is to produce a fluent rather than a stilted translation.

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

Benissimus -<br /> I merely added a "m" accidentally (Though, I still believe my translation of the sentence to be incorrect.)<br /><br />Bingley-<br /> I do know that each sentence is of Cicero; though, I do not know precisely from whence (stodgy enough?) they came.<br />Though I would venture a guess that you are correct in your conjecture.

sfryer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sfryer »

[quote author=Lumen_et_umbra link=board=3;threadid=456;start=#3922 date=1060891851]<br /><br />Bingley-<br /> from whence (stodgy enough?) they came.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Umm -- you need to lear n to do stodgy correctly ;D . "From whence" is redundant, since "whence" already means "from where" (so what you wrote was "from from where") .

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's a well-attested grammatical error :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lumen_et_umbra
Textkit Member

Post by Lumen_et_umbra »

I have seen it used as a synonym for the word where in reputable works. However, your fastidious criticism is duly noted.