Translation question

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Translation question

Post by Rhuiden »

I am having a bit of trouble and wonder if someone might be kind enough to help me. The sentence is from Chapter 9, page 59:

ILLUD DE VITIIS ISTIUS REGINAE NUNC SCRIBAM, ET ISTA POENAS DABIT

My question is how does the ILLUD fit into the sentence. This in the Neuter form, nominative or accusitive, singular. My translation attempt is: I will now write that about the faults of that queen of yours, and that she will pay the penalty. Seems that the sentence would make better sense without the ILLUD.

Thanks

Rhuiden

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Translation question

Post by benissimus »

Rhuiden wrote:I am having a bit of trouble and wonder if someone might be kind enough to help me. The sentence is from Chapter 9, page 59:

ILLUD DE VITIIS ISTIUS REGINAE NUNC SCRIBAM, ET ISTA POENAS DABIT

My question is how does the ILLUD fit into the sentence. This in the Neuter form, nominative or accusitive, singular. My translation attempt is: I will now write that about the faults of that queen of yours, and that she will pay the penalty. Seems that the sentence would make better sense without the ILLUD.

Thanks

Rhuiden
Hi Rhuiden,
It would make fine sense without illud but since it is there, you should translate it the way you have it. The reason for illud being there is probably just to make you practice demonstratives, but if this were in a context, there could be an implied carmen, poema, opus, etc (e.g. "I will now write this <poem/work>"). There is no "that" after the comma though, so you should just say "and she will pay the penalty".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Thanks Benissimus for you response. I had not considered the implied poena, etc. It is obvious once I read your post (can't believe I did not think of it) but it was very late when I was doing the translation.

Rhuiden