Summon or summoning

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
Feles in silva
Textkit Member

Summon or summoning

Post by Feles in silva »

I'm looking at "The Poet Horace Contemplates An Invitation" text in chapter one of Wheelock. The first sentence reads:

Maecenas et Vergilius me hodie vocant.

This sentence uses the verb vocare, in the present tense (of the indicative active). I tranlate it thus:

1. Maecenas and Vergilius summon me today.

But, I also think I could translate it this way:

2. Maecenas and Vergilius are summoning me today.

The last one seems to be a present progressive statement, whereas the other is also still in the present. (My knowledge of grammar isn't really all that good so I may not be using the correct terms here.)

So is the one way better than the other? If I translated it as 1., would the Latin be different than if I translated it as 2.?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The Latin present tense can be translated in three different ways. vocant can be translated "they call" (simple), "they are calling" (progressive), or "they do call" (emphatic); this is because English has more ways to describe present action than Latin does. It doesn't matter which translation you choose, but sometimes it just sounds better to translate a certain way. You will encounter similar phenomena in the other tenses: "will call / will be calling", "have called / have been calling", "called, was calling, did call", etc.

This is beside the point, but when you translate Latin names you should use English forms if they exist - e.g. "Vergil" for Vergilius, or "Virgil" if you want to be silly.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

If you use "Vergil," though, be warned: Google will question your sincerity.

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vergil)

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

bellum paxque wrote:If you use "Vergil," though, be warned: Google will question your sincerity.

On the other hand, Google did offer up an add for me to "Meet sexy Romanian singles" with this search, so its algorithm may need a touch of tweaking.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

edonnelly wrote:
bellum paxque wrote:If you use "Vergil," though, be warned: Google will question your sincerity.

On the other hand, Google did offer up an add for me to "Meet sexy Romanian singles" with this search, so its algorithm may need a touch of tweaking.
Has anyone tried a search for "ancient Egyptians"? Do you get "meet sexy mummies" adverts? :lol:

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Carola wrote:Has anyone tried a search for "ancient Egyptians"? Do you get "meet sexy mummies" adverts? :lol:
Do you mean MILFS? :-P
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS